Yamaha SG-3 reissue petition

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
lborl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Yamaha SG-3 reissue petition

Post by lborl » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:21 am

A long shot but still surely worth a try: please sign my petition for Yamaha to reissue the beautiful SG-3. Maybe they'll do it if they see there's a market?

http://chng.it/qD5KpWBvHK

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Yamaha SG-3 reissue petition

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:24 am

Why do you have to mention other guitars? :mellow: "Every bit the equal of the Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar, or the Teisco Spectrum 5." I would really like to see a SG-3 too, but why would the Yamaha lords really care about this random/subjective opinion?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:20 am

Yeah, I’d maybe take out the specific jargon and instead put something like “meets or exceeds expectations from everyone who knows about them or the players lucky enough to own one. From the visual aesthetic to feel to sound - these were wonderful guitars that would make a lot of people very happy” or something along those lines. I definitely agree that maybe the “these guitars were thought of as lesser than but are just as good as the flops that Fender put out that have similar features” isn’t the best way to approach it.

The Samurai reissues they did years about with the new tremolo unit for whatever dumb reason that cost like $150 new or something that people right now are trying to charge $2,000 with a completely straight face for one.

Signed it!

Top five gear regrets surrounds one of these. It had the almost fiesta red color they did with a matching headstock and was all original on the Guitarcenter used site for months before I looked one day and it was gone :/ they were only asking $350 or some insane amount of money for it. The image of that guitar showing a 404 when I clicked the link to check on it is something I’ll see when I die along with the $400 white w/ black binding Starcaster I passed on and the $150-$175 Peavey T-60 that at the time I’d never heard of so very typically to my procrastinating asshole logic-fogged brain it made total sense to buy a Danoblaster 12 string instead.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:14 am

Wrote Yamaha 2 years ago about the SG-2 and SG-3 asking if either model could be reissued - this was the reply:

Thank you for your interest in Yamaha Guitars, and your recent inquiry regarding the SG2 and SG3 models.
I don't think you will ever see reissues of the SG2 and SG3. Yamaha did do some SG5 and SG7 reissues, which were more popular models, but those were only on the market for a short time.

I wrote back and said that was too bad and the reply was:

There has been no talk of doing any reissue's, but who knows. Some day they may do it.

I think they are focused on the present Revstar models and not looking back at the past but good luck with your petition.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:58 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:24 am
Why do you have to mention other guitars? :mellow: "Every bit the equal of the Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar, or the Teisco Spectrum 5." I would really like to see a SG-3 too, but why would the Yamaha lords really care about this random/subjective opinion?
Agree with this.

Also, about 'A guitar shape this nice should be in the hands of players, not doomed to become an obscure collector's piece.'

Originals are neither rare nor expensive, costing around the same as an American made reissue Jazzmaster, which is pretty good for a quality instrument that's >50 years old.

I don't believe boomers/collectors/hoarders have much interest in squirrelling these away.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.