They Said It Couldn't Be Done, OR, Don't Call It A Comeback, It Never Left

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Fender Addiction
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: They Said It Couldn't Be Done, OR, Don't Call It A Comeback, It Never Left

Post by Fender Addiction » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:23 am

601210 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:24 am
This is so cool that I'm sad I don't have a smashed up jazzmaster to resurrect.
You can always smash one up... :P :P
“Dewey Cox has to think about his whole life before he plays.” - Sam McPherson, Drummer for Dewey Cox

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 am

Cool, thank you- I have a single original pickup from mine (not currently on the guitar) and was unsure if I had full output, since the pickup still hummed at last check; may be a grounding issue on mine (not that I’m going to reinstall it any time soon.)
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Fender Addiction
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fender Addiction » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:35 am

Danley wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 am
Cool, thank you- I have a single original pickup from mine (not currently on the guitar) and was unsure if I had full output, since the pickup still hummed at last check; may be a grounding issue on mine (not that I’m going to reinstall it any time soon.)
I've already shielded 3 guitars... figured I would do the same with this one, even with humbuckers. I like the look, and connecting grounds is very easy. I still have one more that needs it, but that's a project for another day. I have a couple upgrades in mind for that one anyway.
“Dewey Cox has to think about his whole life before he plays.” - Sam McPherson, Drummer for Dewey Cox

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 pm

I think the ground problem is with the humbucker baseplate since it hums outside the guitar as well. Replaced the pickups/wiring entirely anyway so no more issue, but do like having the originals just in case.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Fender Addiction
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fender Addiction » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:34 am

What broken Jazzmaster? I'm just a guy painting a guitar, no shattered JM bodies here.

In my excitement, I forgot to take pictures of the base coat. I am using Duplicolor Paint Shop (yeah, I know... I've heard it all before... but, it's cheap, and I don't have to mix anything), and the base is a discontinued color called Champagne Gold Metallic. I actually thought of leaving it that color. But, the scope of my project was "Candy Apple Red."

Who knew it would be difficult to pick up the nuance below the red with a camera?? Anyway, as I shoot outside in my carport, and the thunder started while I shot the last coat, I put everything away and figure I'll shoot the finish tomorrow or Friday.

Here it is so far:

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:46 am

"So far:" = COOL. :w00t:

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:27 am

Out of curiosity (having only used nitro recently) is it possible for acrylic (Duplicolor) to blush with excess humidity?

Also: as much as I love the standard Jazzmaster bridge/vibrato, I sort of appreciate you keeping this true to the original ‘American Special’ vision instead of making some bastard. They’re good guitars as-is.

Fender Addiction
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fender Addiction » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Danley wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:27 am
Out of curiosity (having only used nitro recently) is it possible for acrylic (Duplicolor) to blush with excess humidity?
Oh, I'm sure... I have experienced it, but this is my 3rd guitar. This has been the most humid time when I have sprayed... much less humidity when I did the other 2. I took the primered guitar body out this morning as well as the cans of paint and gave them time to warm up to the outside temp. I wiped the guitar down with naphtha followed by a dry cloth to make sure no water and/or oil (from my skin) was present.

I am a little concerned about humidity and hazing, but I figure worst case, I keep as is and do it again in the fall ;D ;D
Danley wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:27 am
Also: as much as I love the standard Jazzmaster bridge/vibrato, I sort of appreciate you keeping this true to the original ‘American Special’ vision instead of making some bastard. They’re good guitars as-is.
I like the idea of a stripped down version. Give me what I use... I am not a tremelo guy. I have never used one. Also, I have another Jazzmaster and have had a couple others with the rhythm circuit, and never used it. Come to think of it, my dad bought my vintage JM new in 1966, never used the rhythm circuit either... so, if it was NOT good enough for dad :)

Fender Addiction
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fender Addiction » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Update for the day:
Someone... @Danley, looking at you... asked about whether or not acrylic lacquer will blush. I speculated that it would... then I had to go PROVE IT! I took the guitar out of the air conditioned house this morning, and put it in the holder and left it for what I thought would be an appropriate amount of time for it to acclimate to the temp/humidity outside. I was wrong. I put on a coat of clear and it about 30% of the body had this milky white (albeit very light) milky color.

I tried to dry it up with a heat gun, which looked like it was going to work, as I saw the haze disappear from the upper bout. I got down to the toward the bridge holes and arm cutout, I managed to keep the heat on too long and it burned through. I figured I would try my hand at "touch ups", but decided to just put the gold base over everything and start again. So, this time I have pictures of the base color phase as well as the red afterward.

PS.. those pale areas on the base coat/back of the guitar, I saw those with my eyes, too, wasn't just a camera thing. The primer did that too... then when I flat sanded the primer they went away... on the final product, they don't show through the red nor the clear coats.

Now, it sits for a week to 10 days before I do anything to it. These are always the longest weeks...

Fender Addiction
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fender Addiction » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Better camera... better pics, you can see the base coat show through:

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:13 pm

For future reference - on nitro anyway, blush remover (Lacquer thinner) works well even far after the fact :)

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Very nice shade. Candy Red can vary so much. You got it right. :thumbsup:

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:46 am

Fender Addiction wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:33 pm
Better camera... better pics, you can see the base coat show through:
No no no man, this si SOOO WRONG on so many levels :wtf:

Firstly, I clearly saw fragments of what I can only speculate once was an offset guitar and now I see WHOLE Jazzmaster.

As if that were not enough, you went even further with messing with my beliefs as it's since ages ago that I decided I don't like CAR finishes, like at all (aside very few rare faded specimens) but... but.. but.. holy chromatic electrocution... Now I seriously want that a Jazzmaster with your exact shade of esoteric CAR!

It is sorcery, there's not other explanation. Therefore, man... watch your back, not that long ago people like you were burned at the stake :D

(Hats off to you, sir... exquisite job.)

Fender Addiction
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fender Addiction » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:48 am

Danley wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:13 pm
For future reference - on nitro anyway, blush remover (Lacquer thinner) works well even far after the fact :)
I started to do that... then thought the thinner would cause more problems than solve. I'm sure there will be a next time, so this is great info. Thanks!
Amon 7.L wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:46 am
No no no man, this si SOOO WRONG on so many levels :wtf:

Firstly, I clearly saw fragments of what I can only speculate once was an offset guitar and now I see WHOLE Jazzmaster.

As if that were not enough, you went even further with messing with my beliefs as it's since ages ago that I decided I don't like CAR finishes, like at all (aside very few rare faded specimens) but... but.. but.. holy chromatic electrocution... Now I seriously want that a Jazzmaster with your exact shade of esoteric CAR!

It is sorcery, there's not other explanation. Therefore, man... watch your back, not that long ago people like you were burned at the stake :D

(Hats off to you, sir... exquisite job.)
Thanks! It all started with a dream that I could build just the right shape of clamping jig ... I mean, if I could get invoke the proper spell..

Fender Addiction
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fender Addiction » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:52 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:46 am
Now I seriously want that a Jazzmaster with your exact shade of esoteric CAR!
Seriously, though... I think most people use the typical silver metallic under the candy red. Sometimes you even see gold metallic under candy. I think I achieved this color by using a discontinued Duplicolor shade called Champagne Gold metallic.