Fernandes Native X Mod

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fernandes Native X Mod

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:33 pm

Are we all agreed this fugly headsock has to go? Good.
Anyone have any experience of sticking a replacement neck on one of these things? What did you go with?
And does it come in plain maple...?

Funkee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fernandes Native X Mod

Post by Funkee » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:29 pm

I dunno... I actually think that headstock looks fine. Unless you don't like how the neck feels/plays, I'd leave it.
Good deals with: Kracdown, 2fLAz, Britfingers, Stereordinary, Reynman, Jay

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:38 pm

I just plain don't like the look of it (and if you're playing a blue sparkle guitar it's not unreasonable for aesthetics to be a consideration). It makes me think of a PRS guitar or something of that ilk - I associate those kinda guitars with ostentatiousness, bad hair lifetimes and downright vulgarity. And I'm no guitar tech, but something tells me a 3+3 tuner array is somehow wrong with a strat-style tremelo...?

inkeye
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by inkeye » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Looks like you can turn this into some sort of Telecaster Deluxe type guitar.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:45 am

inkeye wrote:Looks like you can turn this into some sort of Telecaster Deluxe type guitar.
Yeah, I've certainly thought along those lines and I was wondering if anyone out there has fitted a Tele neck on one.
The top half and sparkle finish says Supersonic, though....

bop
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bop » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:08 am

Nice sparkle! what paint company and type did you use? is the color and sparkle a single coat?
This color would be great on my Shwinn bicycle which needs a recoat.
Seriously, my painting skill is novice, what coats am I looking at here? Thanks
Lou

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:19 am

bop wrote:Nice sparkle! what paint company and type did you use? is the color and sparkle a single coat?
Lou
Sorry to not be of much help, Lou, but that's the factory paint job you're looking at.
The only bike-frame painter I could recommend is in London so may not be much help....plus I've heard powder-coating's the way to go with bike frames and I'm not sure sparkle finishes and powder-coating mix.

rickenmetal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rickenmetal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 am

If the 22nd fret is on a fretboard extension you might be able to fit a strat or tele neck, if it's not on an extension you can maybe fit a tele or strat neck and I think you have to move the bridge further away if it's standard scale. I think the neck looks fine with that body though.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:55 am

Yeah, the 22nd fret's on an overhang. On reflection I think a cheap Strat-style neck is what I'm after, along with a white pearly scratchplate.
I should be able to pick up a Squier strat cheap enough to part out the leftovers so it'll pay for itself.
I actually only bought this guitar (on eBay) because the seller wrongly surmised it had a Sustainer pick-up. I got it pretty cheap after negotiating a partial refund since it wasn't what she claimed it was - and it's only ever going to be a cheap Fernandes anyway - so I don't have a problem messing with it.
Apart from swapping machine heads, bridges and installing a Bigsby I haven't really done many modifications before, so this'll be a bit of a practice run to see how I get on.
I'm probably going to go down the Lee Ranaldo road and ditch the tone pot, but I'm having trouble deciding on pick-ups. I quite like the look of those Tele Custom ones, but I tend to prefer single coils to humbuggers. Can't decide whether to go with a pair or just a single one in the neck or bridge either.
Warning - scouring this forum can compromise your decision-making faculties....

bop
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bop » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:39 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
bop wrote:Nice sparkle! what paint company and type did you use? is the color and sparkle a single coat?
Lou
Sorry to not be of much help, Lou, but that's the factory paint job you're looking at.
The only bike-frame painter I could recommend is in London so may not be much help....plus I've heard powder-coating's the way to go with bike frames and I'm not sure sparkle finishes and powder-coating mix.

oops! I thought you painted it. I would like to metalflake my scwinn.
That headstock sucks, yeah. Warmouth makes nice necks.

buttons542
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by buttons542 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:48 am

I know this is kind of an old post but i was wondering if you figured anything out on the neck. I was wondering that if you did and still had the old neck around if we could work out a price?

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:28 pm

bumping an old one...sorry

anyone with experience with this guitar? can you use a standard jazzmaster trem arm in this guitar?
or do you suggest a trem arm to use as a replacement for the original one?

atomicgarden
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by atomicgarden » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 am

I actually have one I've taken apart to make some extreme mods to one day. I also have a squire strat that I haven't touched in years. I'll see if I can interchange the necks next time I'm visiting the place they're collecting dust at. I don't know for sure, but I assume squire uses the same specs as fender, and strat specs are kind of the default for replacements, so if that'll fit, you have a huge range to choose from.

atomicgarden
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by atomicgarden » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 am

Just tried out the neck from my old Squier Bullet Strat on my Native X. The pocket is a little tighter than with the neck it came with despite the Squier neck feeling slightly thinner, the heel curve was slightly different, but only noticeable from a few inches away, and only the screw holes further from the heel matched up with the ones on the body, but that's not a big deal, and a lot of aftermarket necks come without holes predrilled anyway. Intonated very well considering neither guitar had been touched in years; a little adjustment at the bridge and everything would be perfect.
As far as the trem arm goes, I'm not sure (having never owned a jag/jm) but it's a standard strat style, so I imagine whatever works with a strat works here.

ChristheRat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChristheRat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:06 am

atomicgarden wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 am
Just tried out the neck from my old Squier Bullet Strat on my Native X. The pocket is a little tighter than with the neck it came with despite the Squier neck feeling slightly thinner, the heel curve was slightly different, but only noticeable from a few inches away, and only the screw holes further from the heel matched up with the ones on the body, but that's not a big deal, and a lot of aftermarket necks come without holes predrilled anyway. Intonated very well considering neither guitar had been touched in years; a little adjustment at the bridge and everything would be perfect.
As far as the trem arm goes, I'm not sure (having never owned a jag/jm) but it's a standard strat style, so I imagine whatever works with a strat works here.
Pics of new neck? Thinking of doing the same
Things are more like they are now, then they ever have been.