Fender Performer Jazzmaster.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Dragonkoi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Performer Jazzmaster.

Post by Dragonkoi » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi all, I have owned Jaguars and Mustangs in the past but never a Jazzmaster. I am not a big trem user, all my other guitars are Gibsons including a Firebird and a Non Reverse Firebird. I really did not get on with the Jaguar trem/ bridge setup so the performer Jazzmaster looks appealing, especially in the penny colour.

Was wondering if anyone had any hands on experience with the performer series, over all quality/ feel, fit and finish etc. What trem spec is on these (classic series or US etc). What did you think to the pickups, Jazzmaster flavour or generic Fender strat type sound on these?

Cheers

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Performer Jazzmaster.

Post by Danley » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Not tried the Performer yet, but an American Special Jazzmaster might be what you're looking for:

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Dragonkoi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dragonkoi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:34 pm

They're cool but the penny finish is calling me....I have just ordered one, should arrive Monday. I'll report back with my thoughts.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Agree, I feel like I need a Penny American Performer Mustang :D
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Gonkboy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Gonkboy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:30 am

Danley wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:28 pm
Not tried the Performer yet, but an American Special Jazzmaster might be what you're looking for:

Damn Danley, that's a great looking Jazzmaster.
How does it compare in sound with that hardtail? I used to have a Jazzy, but it always lacked the balls I wanted in my sound. Got an SG and LP now that do the business but still have a hankering for an offset.
My band:
https://reasco.bandcamp.com/releases

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:10 am

Gonkboy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:30 am
Damn Danley, that's a great looking Jazzmaster.
How does it compare in sound with that hardtail? I used to have a Jazzy, but it always lacked the balls I wanted in my sound. Got an SG and LP now that do the business but still have a hankering for an offset.
Thank you! :D This Jazzmaster now has Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster 'Hot' (SJM-2) pickups. Those *definitely* have balls, but still sound enough like a Jazzmaster. The stock pickups were stacked pickups that don't have the best reputation (but I never tried them; had to totally re-do the wiring on the guitar before I could play it, and added the Seymour Duncans without ever going back to try stock.) I've had the same pickups in several Jazzmasters over the years; they may not be 'boutique' but I like them.

Full disclosure: I wanted an American Professional, but this Special popped up at the right price so took a chance. I was initially leery of the Adjust-O-Matic/stop tail; I never liked TOM bridges much and just wanted 'maximum Jazzmaster' anyway, worried it would somehow sound less like a Jazzmaster without the vibrato even though lately I don't use vibratos much - and tend to prefer a hardtail for bends etc.

Guess what - if you lined up five Jazzmasters and played them straight up and down, you wouldn't guess this one was hardtail (so long as you didn't use the vibrato - or do a unison bend.) That said, this one does sound different from other Jazzmasters I've owned/own - but they all sound a bit different from each other anyway, and this one not especially so. In fact, this is probably the best playing Jazzmaster I've ever owned - but I think most of that is due to the neck, which is near perfect. The Adjust-O-Matic is comfortable and does its job so I'm not compelled to go on some mod quest, it's just an awesome guitar.

Dragonkoi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dragonkoi » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:20 am

It arrived today.

Was impressed with it straight out of the box. The colour looks great, the neck, fit and finish, set up etc all spot on. My first guitar with a trem in years. It's set up floating and has great tuning stability.

The pickups are very bright compared to my usual Gibson humbucker sound. The last Fender I owned was an American Vintage Tele. That was a very bright guitar but this Jazzmaster's GREASEBUCKET tone control works perfectly, rolling off the icepick without getting wooly. Really impressed with that.

Very happy with this guitar and can certainly reccomend it.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:55 am

Ok, I approve of that :D