A semi-humorous moan about my Rhoney Bass VI

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
arri93
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

A semi-humorous moan about my Rhoney Bass VI

Post by arri93 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:22 am

So this is my favorite guitar guitar but it seems to be somewhat cursed due to a series of unfortunate events.

Here's the back story in my late teens I somehow had just about enough cash to take on Paul Rhoney's payment plans. (This was when he was emerging). I asked to make me a Bass VI body neck n pickguard during which I change several details on what it was a wanted and he was very patient with me :D .

I thought y'know great I'll finally have a Bass VI since fender will never reissue them!

When I got it home I had great fun assembling it

Anyway hears what happened to me since then.

The luthier I brought it to for the finished told me I wired it up wrong and had to fix it for me. He said I didn't ground the switches however the switch plate was in full contact with the shielding which in turn was wired to ground in being so he melted my switches and fucked the whole thing up and because he's apparently the best luthier in Glasgow he doesn't want to hear about his mistakes.

Over time one by one the switches got worse and eventually stopped working. So I thought I know I'll get a new pickguard and just have a simple 2 pickup setup with a 3 way switch less to go wrong there and easier to wire up.

Funny I had a more trusted luthier friend of my mine work on it after this palaver and he accidentally screwed up the finish so he had to repaint it which I'm sure was fun. :w00t:

Anyway it's cool but it's kinda out of phase and I could probably go and reverse it but then I'd have to separate the shielding wire and meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh I can't be bothered so I kinda just wanna do this.

I imagine this is something to upset the purists. But I recon personally I'd really enjoy this setup with a Lace Sensor Blue whilst playing my Cure tunes all day.

This is kinda where I'm at with guitars these days I used to be all for hundreds of switches but these days I kinda like the one pickup deal. Or 2 pickups if I'm feeling adventurous.
[img]http://offsetguitars.com/forums/download/file.php?avatar=8982_1331927459.jpg[/img] Sleazy Army

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: A semi-humorous moan about my Rhoney Bass VI

Post by parry » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:22 am

Nice! Good luck with the project.

Before I had mine, I saw someone on Instagram who'd done up their black VI with just the middle pickup. I'd never seen that before. I didn't "get it", but it stuck with me. Now that I have mine, I get it. I pretty much use the middle pickup only, about 95% of the time. I thought I'd flagged the photo to share, but can't seem to find it. If I do, I'll drop back in.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:44 am

Is Paul still taking orders on these? My roommate is lookin for a bass vi above a squier quality.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:38 am

From experience with my old Bass VI the middle pickup is honestly the best pickup sound by a mile, I'd just make a pickguard with the single middle pickup slot and call it a day.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:09 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:44 am
Is Paul still taking orders on these? My roommate is lookin for a bass vi above a squier quality.
It's probably a bit embarrasingly nerdy but I put together a list of bass vi like instruments to feed search engines on ebay and reverb. Some of them aren't in production anymore but should be availlable on the used market. Here you go:

Fender:
Squier VM Baritone Jazzmaster
Squier VM Bass VI
Squier CV Bass VI
Fender Pawnshop VI
Fender VI Japan
Fender VI vintage

Danelectro (29.75" scale):
56 Baritone
63 Baritone
66 Baritone
Dead On 67 Baritone
Wild Thing Baritone
Hodad Baritone
Longhorn Baritone

Eastwood:
Sidejack Bass VI
TB64

Schecter:
Hellcat VI
Ultra VI

Gretsch:
G5265 Jet Baritone
G6120TB Duane Eddy

Others:
OLP MM5
Ibanez SRC6
Lakland Decade 6
Harley Benton Guitar Bass
Revelation RJT 60B

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:32 am

Zork wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:09 am
N0_Camping4U wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:44 am
It's probably a bit embarrasingly nerdy but I put together a list of bass vi like instruments to feed search engines on ebay and reverb. Some of them aren't in production anymore but should be availlable on the used market. Here you go:

Fender:
Squier VM Baritone Jazzmaster
Squier VM Bass VI
Squier CV Bass VI
Fender Pawnshop VI
Fender VI Japan
Fender VI vintage

Danelectro (29.75" scale):
56 Baritone
63 Baritone
66 Baritone
Dead On 67 Baritone
Wild Thing Baritone
Hodad Baritone
Longhorn Baritone

Eastwood:
Sidejack Bass VI
TB64

Schecter:
Hellcat VI
Ultra VI

Gretsch:
G5265 Jet Baritone
G6120TB Duane Eddy

Others:
OLP MM5
Ibanez SRC6
Lakland Decade 6
Harley Benton Guitar Bass
Revelation RJT 60B
Legend, mods need to pin this somewhere.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:58 am

That looks lovely! :)