Need Help With a Jaguar Coil Split

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Need Help With a Jaguar Coil Split

Post by RoséBear » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:44 pm

Hey guys, I’m modding the crap out of my Japanese jaguar. I’m throwing in a 3 way instead of the two sliders, but I’m leaving that 3rd switch in there. I was thinking of splitting the super distortion S in the bridge position.

How would I go about wiring this??

Thanks!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Need Help With a Jaguar Coil Split

Post by Embenny » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:12 pm

The third switch in this case is just a DPDT, so you wire it like any DPDT coil split.

Those are Duncan wiring colours, FYI.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:43 pm

That diagram will only give one coil at a time. Does he want to switch between humbucker/single coil?

If so, (I don't know which colour is which on your pickup) the hot wire goes to one end pole, the two middle wires go to the other end pole, and then the output is the middle pole which goes to the 3-way switch.

The 3-way switch has 5 connections. The centre pole is for ground. The two inner poles are for output, and go to the volume pot. The two outer poles are for your pickup selections, one being the bridge which goes to the middle pole of the slider as per previous paragraph, the other being the neck which goes to the neck pickup hot wire, or if you have a rhythm circuit, it goes to the rhythm switch where the neck slider used to go.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:50 pm

Whoops, copied the wrong diagram there. You're right.

The artist formerly known as mbene085.

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:41 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:50 pm
Whoops, copied the wrong diagram there. You're right.

Thanks! I’m still just a tad confused.

So the Humbucker is going into a 3 way switch, from there it goes into the volume pot. I’m using a traditional jaguar “on/off” switch as the split, so I’m confused as to what wires go where

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:39 pm

The diagram uses Seymour Duncan color codes. Convert to Dimarzio for your Super Distortion S ...

If you want the slug coil when you split, wire the equivalent of the top half of the SD Coil Splitting diagram (with the correct wire colours for Dimarzio). If you want the screw coil, wire the equivalent of the bottom SD diagram. Using the jaguar on/off slide switch, the 'on' position makes the connection shown (ie split), the 'off' position doesn't (ie normal HB); all it's doing is shunting the unwanted coil to ground when 'on'. The hot side of the HB still goes to the 3-way (but you have to choose which side you're calling hot, and which wires are always grounded, based on which coil you want to be the split coil ... see the hot wire that goes to the vol pot in the diagram [ or to the 3-way in your case] is SD red in one case and SD black in the other).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:42 am

timtam wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:39 pm
The diagram uses Seymour Duncan color codes. Convert to Dimarzio for your Super Distortion S ...

If you want the slug coil when you split, wire the equivalent of the top half of the SD Coil Splitting diagram (with the correct wire colours for Dimarzio). If you want the screw coil, wire the equivalent of the bottom SD diagram. Using the jaguar on/off slide switch, the 'on' position makes the connection shown (ie split), the 'off' position doesn't (ie normal HB); all it's doing is shunting the unwanted coil to ground when 'on'. The hot side of the HB still goes to the 3-way (but you have to choose which side you're calling hot, and which wires are always grounded, based on which coil you want to be the split coil ... see the hot wire that goes to the vol pot in the diagram [ or to the 3-way in your case] is SD red in one case and SD black in the other).
Sorry, so I’m fairly uneducated with this stuff and I’m pretty confused.

I want to use a single coil sound, likely the rail closest to the bridge. I’m guessing a split is the way to do this for a rail strat-sized Humbucker? Or is there a better way?

Anyway, yeah so the jaguar switches have 6 terminals, two on each row. I’m just confused as to which wires go where!

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm

OK, no problem. Let's go with the simplest approach, in as few steps as possible.

1. Do you have the 3-way pickup selector already wired in / planned out? If yes, with which colour wire from your Dimarzio HB going to the switch (ie the hot) ?

2. So that you can use the SD Coil Splitting diagram, write down the mapping of SD colours there to the Dimarzio colours for your HB, from the scheme I posted.

3. Which is the SD wire colour that matches the Dimarzio-colour hot you have from 1 ? Match that against the top and bottom options in the SD Coil Splitting diagram - which one has the matching-colour (Dimarzio=>SD) wire as the hot (going to the vol pot in that scheme, but to the 3-way in yours) ? So you now know if you are going with the top or bottom Coil Splitting diagram. Look at the the SD-colour wires going to the coil split switch there. The Dimarzio-colour wires that match those SD-colour wires are the ones you will wire to your jag on/off switch. You will get the split coil (slug or screw equivalent on your rail HB) that matches (if you really want the other coil when you split, you will have to work out the right wire colours matching the other diagram, where your hot wire colour from the HB to the switch will be different).

4. You only wire to two terminals of the 6 on the jaguar switch, as shown in the SD diagram - run a ground to one corner terminal as shown, and run the correct Dimarzio-colour wires from the HB to the adjacent middle terminal.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:32 pm

timtam wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm
OK, no problem. Let's go with the simplest approach, in as few steps as possible.

1. Do you have the 3-way pickup selector already wired in / planned out? If yes, with which colour wire from your Dimarzio HB going to the switch (ie the hot) ?

2. So that you can use the SD Coil Splitting diagram, write down the mapping of SD colours there to the Dimarzio colours for your HB, from the scheme I posted.

3. Which is the SD wire colour that matches the Dimarzio-colour hot you have from 1 ? Match that against the top and bottom options in the SD Coil Splitting diagram - which one has the matching-colour (Dimarzio=>SD) wire as the hot (going to the vol pot in that scheme, but to the 3-way in yours) ? So you now know if you are going with the top or bottom Coil Splitting diagram. Look at the the SD-colour wires going to the coil split switch there. The Dimarzio-colour wires that match those SD-colour wires are the ones you will wire to your jag on/off switch. You will get the split coil (slug or screw equivalent on your rail HB) that matches (if you really want the other coil when you split, you will have to work out the right wire colours matching the other diagram, where your hot wire colour from the HB to the switch will be different).

4. You only wire to two terminals of the 6 on the jaguar switch, as shown in the SD diagram - run a ground to one corner terminal as shown, and run the correct Dimarzio-colour wires from the HB to the adjacent middle terminal.
Okay I totally get it now! Thank you for being patient with me! You guys are super helpful.