Neck Finish - Wipe-On Poly

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Neck Finish - Wipe-On Poly

Post by Danley » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:48 pm

More like an un-mod; someone sanded the finish off the back of my Squier neck and I hate that.

Was tempted to gloss nitro it, but decide to try to bring back some of the original feel using Minwax oil-based satin wipe-on poly. Have two (extra, extra thin) coats on, may go for a third depending on how I feel- but it really does give the ‘soft-touch’ tactile behavior of the better satin necks.

It is also invisible- the wood amber was brought out just enough, and the finish is thin enough that you cannot see the edges of the sanding at all. I’m convinced (based on observing finish flaws on other Squier necks) that the stock finish must be wipe-on as well, or something similar that is not sprayed. One warning is, it’s (obviously) very sensitive to the state of the wood beneath it. I can see why some Squier necks seem rough/raw, while others actually seem finished - mine came out the latter ultimately, so I’m happy. This was ten minutes of effort and dries full in a day. Would love to do an entire neck or guitar, or try the gloss version.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Neck Finish - Wipe-On Poly

Post by Futuron » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:17 pm

When winter is over I intend to use a gloss wipe-on poly to clear coat some refinished bodies. (The 2k spraycan I was using is not available anymore and gave mixed results anyway) Have only done a quick test run on a practice body to see how it works, and yet to test its durability. I am a little bit uncertain of how much it will yellow. I'd rather it was completely clear, but these products are made for furniture etc.

All my reading has been about using it for table tops, or bare wood guitar tops. Maybe I will be the first to try it as a clear coat over full body aerosol can finish! Hope it works, will check first.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:36 pm

I use minwax wipe on poly for necks. I like it a lot.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:47 am

Danley wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:48 pm
[...] I’m convinced (based on observing finish flaws on other Squier necks) that the stock finish must be wipe-on as well, or something similar that is not sprayed. [...]
I'd be surprised if this were the case, surely hand-wiping a guitar neck finish is more labor and cost intensive than getting a robot to spray it.

It *is* China, though, so you never know. I was surprised to find out how much of the processes in Chinese guitar factories are still pretty much done by hand.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:09 am

601210 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:47 am
Danley wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:48 pm
[...] I’m convinced (based on observing finish flaws on other Squier necks) that the stock finish must be wipe-on as well, or something similar that is not sprayed. [...]
I'd be surprised if this were the case, surely hand-wiping a guitar neck finish is more labor and cost intensive than getting a robot to spray it.

It *is* China, though, so you never know. I was surprised to find out how much of the processes in Chinese guitar factories are still pretty much done by hand.
I experimented on a cheap neck; a lot of the finish swirls I got on areas with irregular thickness, and a lot of the over-wiped areas immediately reminded me of stuff I've seen on cheap Squiers, where I previously wondered how you'd get a defect like that. Part of me wouldn't be alarmed if it's some person's job to get carted a huge bin of necks and spend no longer than ten seconds wiping them one by one with finish, but I have no proof whatsoever other than feeling like a lot of those Squier necks look like they were done using that method in five seconds.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!