How would you go about finding a specific vintage part?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
takeittothemall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

How would you go about finding a specific vintage part?

Post by takeittothemall » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 am

I am in need of a non-refin 1965 Jazzmaster neck with non-matching headstock and B nut width. Obviously, they don't tend to sell those in six packs down at the corner store.

So far, I've made wanted posts on OSG and TGP, scoured Reverb, eBay, and Google, and made an Instagram post. I've set up search alerts.

What would you do to find a very specific vintage part? Has anyone done anything more proactive than the above to locate a specific vintage part?
great OSG deals with: ncarey13, skip.
great TGP deals with: drjoel, 12strings, Tim P, angrybandnerd, echobaseone, guitarpkr67, jcampbell331

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: How would you go about finding a specific vintage part?

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:18 pm

If I were in your shoes, I'd put a search like "vintage jazzmaster neck" into my ebay saved searches, and look twice a day (more if you are bored at work, I guess).

I'd also add the above search to my feed on Reverb and check that multiple times daily...it is a bit of a chore, especially when nothing turns up for weeks...but the '65 neck you need really is out there somewhere...they made tons of JMs in '65.

I remember the times 15 years ago or so when there were always a few vintage Jazzmaster necks for sale on ebay in various states, but now that people truly appreciate Jazzmasters more, the parting-out days are mostly over.

You have to be really patient nowadays to score particular year necks...but they are still out there...best of luck :)
Resident Spartan.