Mastery Bridge- Some movement?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mastery Bridge- Some movement?

Post by RoséBear » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:55 am

Hey guys,

So I have a mastery in my jaguar and I just noticed that it rocks back and forth just a little when I use the trem heavily. I’m wondering if this is normal. Obviously, the posts pretty much are filled by the bridge, but there’s some movement there. The saddles not move, just the bridge itself slightly.

I tried removing the shim, which honestly didn’t do much of anything except make me lower my action.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery Bridge- Some movement?

Post by Debaser » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:47 am

I’ve owned several Mastery bridges, including a 4.1. They all move, even with the Mastery thimbles.

Since my tuning is stable, I don’t see it as a ‘defect’. It seems some movement is just what bridges do when you violently flail a vibrato. :)
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:59 am

As long as things stay in tune with trem use, a little movement shouldn't be an issue. But it does mean that the strings are gripping the saddles. That's what strings should do to a rocking bridge, but a fixed bridge should allow the strings to slide. Mastery makes a big deal of their low-friction 'self-lubricating' saddles. But it wouldn't hurt to add some lubrication to a fixed bridge. Downforce increases friction, so to some extent a more stationary Mastery would be achieved by reducing break angle.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:45 am

timtam wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:59 am
As long as things stay in tune with trem use, a little movement shouldn't be an issue. But it does mean that the strings are gripping the saddles. That's what strings should do to a rocking bridge, but a fixed bridge should allow the strings to slide. Mastery makes a big deal of their low-friction 'self-lubricating' saddles. But it wouldn't hurt to add some lubrication to a fixed bridge. Downforce increases friction, so to some extent a more stationary Mastery would be achieved by reducing break angle.
When I pull up on the bar, it doesn’t stay in tune as well. Dropping the bar, no problem. So I have a thin shim in the heel of the neck pocket now. Is it worth removing this for less friction? Will this mess up my setup at all I.e. introduce more buzzing at the first few frets? I was having issues with buzzing and I think I got it to a good spot. Just don’t want to open a can of worms!

boytbpc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by boytbpc » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Try loosening the strings, setting the bridge vertical, and retuning. This should correct the problem of the guitar going out of tune when you pull up on the bar.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:56 pm

boytbpc wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:59 pm
Try loosening the strings, setting the bridge vertical, and retuning. This should correct the problem of the guitar going out of tune when you pull up on the bar.
It's a Mastery Bridge, so always 'vertical'.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:00 pm

RoséBear wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:45 am
timtam wrote:
When I pull up on the bar, it doesn’t stay in tune as well. Dropping the bar, no problem. So I have a thin shim in the heel of the neck pocket now. Is it worth removing this for less friction? Will this mess up my setup at all I.e. introduce more buzzing at the first few frets? I was having issues with buzzing and I think I got it to a good spot. Just don’t want to open a can of worms!
I would try some extra saddle lubrication first (eg graphite). And also look at the other common culprit in de-tuning, ie string binding in the nut slots. And good string stretching to pull all the slack out of the string interfaces. I just threw the lower downforce => lower friction thing out there because we have to consider that the physics of fixed and rocking bridges are different. But if your overall setup is good with the shim I wouldn't mess with that.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:48 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:00 pm
RoséBear wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:45 am
timtam wrote:
I would try some extra saddle lubrication first (eg graphite). And also look at the other common culprit in de-tuning, ie string binding in the nut slots. And good string stretching to pull all the slack out of the string interfaces. I just threw the lower downforce => lower friction thing out there because we have to consider that the physics of fixed and rocking bridges are different. But if your overall setup is good with the shim I wouldn't mess with that.
No I get it! Thank you all for all your help. I ordered “zero tolerance” mastery thimbles to minimize bridge movement. I think if the bridge was binding anywhere, it wouldn’t stay in tune with constant divebombing and huge bends. But it does! So I think I’ll leave that shim

Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gonkulator » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:10 am

Did you make sure that the bridge posts themselves are tight? Typically when you install the Mastery you loosen those posts, place the bridge on and then tighten them up once you get the proper height you want.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:24 am

if you set the bridge plate very low and raise saddles to get the desired string height, i think you would get less rocking movement in the thimbles. is this still how mastery advises users to set up?

northernlights
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northernlights » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:04 pm

mastery bridges move just a little bit when trem used. I think your problem is on the nut, it's needed to be adjust. Take rounded strings and slide over their each slot. see if it's free to move. Find a really good tech, nut is also easy and very hard job to do.

Pelicashka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pelicashka » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:12 pm

Is this too much movement?

https://youtu.be/hNUK63XOeaw?si=02IvFnZSDckWmgI6

I just realized that my luthier has not installed the thimbles that shipped with the M1 mastery bridge Kit and just stuck the bridge into the stock ones. It’s a new MIJ Jazzmaster HH.

Some of the strings go a bit out of tune, especially the low E, which goes sharp after using the vibrato just a couple of times.

Should I ask him to install the Mastery thimbles?

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:25 pm

Pelicashka wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:12 pm
Is this too much movement?

https://youtu.be/hNUK63XOeaw?si=02IvFnZSDckWmgI6

I just realized that my luthier has not installed the thimbles that shipped with the M1 mastery bridge Kit and just stuck the bridge into the stock ones. It’s a new MIJ Jazzmaster HH.

Some of the strings go a bit out of tune, especially the low E, which goes sharp after using the vibrato just a couple of times
Should I ask him to install the Mastery thimbles?
Id probably stop calling him a luthier if he worked on replacing your bridge and didn’t make sure your guitar would stay in tune.

Pelicashka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pelicashka » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:25 am

Okay, should I ask the guy, who installed the bridge Into the original thimbles on an MIJ JM to replace them with Mastery thimbles supplied with the M1 kit?

Pelicashka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pelicashka » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:08 am