Well, the Reason folks actually did something good

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Well, the Reason folks actually did something good

Post by burpgun » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:22 pm

Hey folks, this is kind of cool. The company that makes Reason just announced that you'll be able to run what is now stand alone software as a VST or AU. It's basically a plug in now.

I've used this software since V1 and the only reason why I've kept with it is because of its drum refills and some string stuff. The Rewire part of it, used with either Logic or Live, was always a bit of a pain in the ass. Something extra to fiddle with, to have go wrong. I'm sure other folks loved it but I had almost no use for Reason internal sequencer. This update solves this and that's cool. I guess Rewire will slowly fade away too.

https://cdm.link/2019/08/reason-11-new-plugin/

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Well, the Reason folks actually did something good

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:09 pm

I mean, it's about damn time, and now I am considering buying it. I love Reason, but see no reason to work strictly within that environment in 2019. It really should have been a plug in for some time now.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:03 pm

That's cool news. I used to use and teach Reason a lot, and it was one of my first DAWs back in 2001 or so. But since version 6 or 7 it started to get too bloated and I rarely used it since. Too many devices, the audio recording was spotty and the mixer and sequencer had grown from elegantly streamlined to an unintelligible mess. I like the idea of having dome my favorite Reason features (Matrix, Rex, Thor and a few more) as a plugin in Logic. Hell, I bought a version about 6-7 years ago, probably I can get an upgrade at a decent price.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Yeah, it was one of the first ones I used back in the day, also, and I remember being totally thrilled at what computer audio was capable of.

I had used Pro Tools at some point, but really only for tracking and very basic editing, which still blew my mind what was possible.

But Reason was a tool for composition and that thrilled me. I remember I was fresh back in school and I was playing a lot of piano and I used the keyboard at school to make what I thought was a great track with Reason, layering my keyboard parts. It was very inspiring to me, and it made me think that I could approach music in a whole different way than I had been doing in rock and roll situations. Even at that point the whole alt-country/grunge tyranny that my world was gripped by was boring the shit out of me, and band dynamics were making my rock and roll fantasies pretty unappetizing. Things like Reason and other computer based audio composition tools saved my life as much as anything else ever did.

I really hope that this helps Reason thrive and survive, I really like that company, just like I like MOTU, and Ableton, and Steinberg and a lot of the rest. I think we as musicians are served as well as any group can be, by a combination of people that are innovators, geniuses, musicians and lovers of what they do. I was a musician before this stuff existed and while I won't say that anything is "better" than anything else, I think we should take a moment and be grateful for what we have and the people who work hard to make it happen for us.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:09 pm

Finally, a reason to use it again.

The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:43 am

Damn! I love their drum machines and loops. Good deal.
Local milk person

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:06 am

Well, I've been trying the demo for the AU version for a couple of days now, and it works pretty seamlessly. It's great to be able to open such an array of instruments, effects and tools in Logic. Upgrading from any reason version costs 129 bucks. Once the demo expires I think I'll bite.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:34 am

I just got the AU version and it's worked great so far. While I've owned this program since version 1 I've never been a power user. I find it useful for its drum machines and the sampler coupled with some drum and strings libraries I picked up over the year.

Running Reason as an AU is just so much more efficient and saves the ever present issue of troubleshooting some Rewire problem. Everything is just simpler now and I only see the parts of the Reason interface I want, which makes me happy since the Reason interface was just overloaded with all kinds of stuff I never used anymore. It even validated in Logic the first time!

One thing I haven't tried is to see if I can route audio through its effects and processors. If that works, the value proposition rises further.