63 Jag colour

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Tsmithpam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

63 Jag colour

Post by Tsmithpam » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:49 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvkmlf4vt1bp2 ... 6.jpg?dl=0

I’m considering purchasing a 63 jag which has been refinished in LPB. Whilst I know the limitations on value for a refin this is otherwise a great guitar for me. The one query I had was on its original colour.

It would be preferable to me if the refin was a restoration of its original colour, which I’m led to believe was also LPB.

I have the attached photos from the neck removal. I can see two tones of LPB but also some red tones that look sanded back? What do people think based on your experiences?

Thanks

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: 63 Jag colour

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:25 am

I think that it’s more likely that it was originally Sunburst than anything else, and has probably been several different colors since then.

It doesn’t have the white under coat that would be under custom colors like LPB or Fiesta Red, neither the metallic undercoat that custom colors like CAR or Sherwood green had. It might not even be red, that might just be the Fullerplast treatment that went under a Sunburst (and other) finish, since it looks like bare wood underneath it.

Or it could have been stripped to bare wood in the 70s, painted red, then stripped again in the 90s and painted LPB, but its blue now and if you like the color, it doesn’t really matter what it used to be. It’s a re-fin no matter what it was before. If you don’t like the color, change it to whatever you like, it won’t affect the value either way.

Tsmithpam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: 63 Jag colour

Post by Tsmithpam » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks for looking and reply. I agree think more link a sunburst originally. My preference is is LPB and I know it’s a refin so I’m happy - just wondered on its origins as don’t think it matches what I was led to believe it was.

An original in LPB seems to go for much higher than I could afford so a refin in my favourite colour is my only option, unless I go for an original in a more standard colour like sunburst