New in New England...

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New in New England...

Post by beninma » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:29 am

I just bought a G&L USA Doheny last week. I am not really a collector and am generally faithful to one electric guitar & one acoustic at a time. For now it's going to be an Offset so I thought I'd join up. I was previously playing a Tele. With the Tele you can pretty much find the answer to any question by searching the Web. It was kind of surprising to find that there is very little info about the Doheny out there.

I am mostly a home hobbyist and take lessons but generally meet up once a week to play with a bunch of friends.

Here is a picture of my guitar. I got super lucky to get this one.. It was a Custom order the shop I bought it from had put in. It had sat for about 5 months and I got it last week at a great price in a year end sale. It was about 40% off! :derp:

I was looking for a change to a more comfortable body style. Almost all the G&Ls I played in the store were shockingly well setup. This one was my favorite due to string spacing vs the cheaper ones, and I loved the finish. I have tweaked the action & raised the pickups and cleaned up the nut a little to get the Trem working better but otherwise this is the most perfect out of the box guitar I've ever played. Pickups were the only weird thing. They were slammed down into the pickguard, far far lower than the G&L manual calls for. As soon as I raised them up the sound got a heck of a lot better. This guitar is really noticeable that you don't start with all the controls on 10 as well!

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New in New England...

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:34 pm

Welcome!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New in New England...

Post by Danley » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:47 pm

Great choice - at present I’m at three G&Ls :) MFD pickups definitely like being raised closer to the strings, and yep - one of the best things about the Offset body is ergonomics. Blocks & binding look great - Enjoy!
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!