Locking a Japan Mustang Trem

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Locking a Japan Mustang Trem

Post by RoséBear » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:55 pm

I’m sure this has topic has been done to death, but I have a rather specific set of questions for this process.

I use the original mustang bridge, which I’ve shrink-wrapped to fit into the thimbles snug.
My older guitar tech used tuner furrels on the posts, basically restringing most movement. I say most, because of you hit the tube by accident it’ll still move and go out of tune.

I’ve see people swap the cigar tube around, but doesn’t that change the sound immensely? Also doesn’t that make too little of a break angle?

Right now my strings are actually resting on the edges of the bridge which I know is not great, there should only be one point of contact. I’m trying to get this set up so it won’t make contact with that back of the bridge and it’ll stay locked.

(As an aside question, what is the best way to fix the radius of a mustang bridge? Currently, it would appear I have the common problem of the radius being rounder than the fretboard. I really like the sound of this guitar already, just want to fix some “reliability” issues)

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Locking a Japan Mustang Trem

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:41 pm

You can adjust the bridge this way: https://youtu.be/Q8GHkouWD0U
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:42 pm

Right now my strings are actually resting on the edges of the bridge which I know is not great, there should only be one point of contact. I’m trying to get this set up so it won’t make contact with that back of the bridge and it’ll stay locked.[/quote

Please share a photo
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:13 pm

So you want to lock the trem right (and/or bridge) ? And if your strings are hitting the back edge of the bridge, you actually need to lose some break angle. So to lock the trem, remove the springs, use pot nuts on the threaded posts (1-2 on each, that fit within the rout) underneath to lock the posts against the plate, reverse the cigar and string it from behind without wrapping.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:04 am

Is the neck shimmed? If it is, remove the shim, reset your bridge height and see how it is

Snake Hips
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snake Hips » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 am

How are you stringing the bridge? Try going around the tailpiece either over, under, or straight through.

This is an example of under
https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/wpimages/ ... c6dd00.jpg