Double Late NGD

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Double Late NGD

Post by niksureal » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 am

I got these semi recently but my wife and I were slammed with moving from Detroit to Austin. Haven't even really had any time to play guitar at all let alone post something/brag. :)

The first is one of the new Dipinto Galaxie 4 "Safari" guitars. The two outer pickups are the standard Dipinto pickups and the middle two are lipsticks rehoused in the rectangular pickup covers with some gold carbon fibre. Kluson style tuners instead of the shitty stock import ones, bone nut, etc etc...

The second is a CV Jaguar. Totally stock. Just couldn't resist it for the deal i could get. I love flatwound strings but never want to keep them on anything forever cause they don't work for everything I do and I like switching guitars up a lot. So this one will be the designated flatwound guitar haha. Yeah, it was that cheap.

Also as an aside... Are people liking these new CV Jags/Jazz/Mustangs/Bass VI? This Jag is not horrible but if I had paid full price for it, I would have been seriously pissed. There are no cosmetic flaws but it feels junky. Every VM offset I've had/played annihilates this one. I also bring this up because I set up one of the CV Bass VI recently and it had the same junky feeling. Also the vibrato was routed off center so strings would pop off the saddles just from normal string tension. Like just tuning the thing up! Crazy how something like that made it past quality control. Ah well. Could be isolated incidents.
Last edited by niksureal on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Double Late NGD

Post by RIORIO » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 am

That DiPinto is so rad

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:37 am

Love the DiPinto. I also found the quality of the CV Jags to be less than the previous VM models. I was stoked to find one of these new BB CV Jags in a local shop, but it was so bad when I tried it out.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:14 am

I thought the misaligned string/vibrato thing was incumbent on the import units themselves having the incorrect string spacing at the tailpiece - at least, when I replace them with AVRI units any string-jump problems typically go away, and the strings appear straighter through the bridge - not that you don’t possibly also have an actual mis-aligned vibrato.

I’ve mostly thought the VMs still felt ‘like Squiers,’ even if that’s not as much an insult as in decades previous. Curious if you’re able to pinpoint the problems to bad fretwork, loose assembly/components etc. ?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:42 pm

RIORIO wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 am
That DiPinto is so rad
thanks. :)
BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:37 am
Love the DiPinto. I also found the quality of the CV Jags to be less than the previous VM models. I was stoked to find one of these new BB CV Jags in a local shop, but it was so bad when I tried it out.
thanks. yeah, pretty bummed on the CV quality.
Danley wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:14 am
I thought the misaligned string/vibrato thing was incumbent on the import units themselves having the incorrect string spacing at the tailpiece - at least, when I replace them with AVRI units any string-jump problems typically go away, and the strings appear straighter through the bridge - not that you don’t possibly also have an actual mis-aligned vibrato.

I’ve mostly thought the VMs still felt ‘like Squiers,’ even if that’s not as much an insult as in decades previous. Curious if you’re able to pinpoint the problems to bad fretwork, loose assembly/components etc. ?
im not talking about the vibrato holes being narrower than the bridge slots. the entire vibrato was routed and then mounted to the right of where it should be. all the strings were like jutting to the left to pass over the bridge. it was crazy.
i cant really pinpoint one or two specific things that feels bad on the jag, just generally feels kinda crummy. i am assuming its just an overall drop in quality. the CV stuff does look excellent though.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:12 pm

DiPinto doesn’t really do it for me but that thing is sick as fuck

caliban
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caliban » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:11 am

These CV's look gorgeous, but what a bummer with that quality issue. Wonder if it's the same on all the models. Any similar experiences with Jazzmasters of this line?

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:00 am

I was actually going to trade in my MIM Tele for a CV Jag to have as back up for my AO Jazzmaster.

I tried a CV JM and it seemed a great guitar for the price, but haven’t tried the Jag yet. Not really seen much in-depth reviews of it either, so maybe I’ll think again. Anyone got any other suggestions? Would prefer to not get another JM, but maybe the CV JM is the best option?

egostatistical
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by egostatistical » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:28 am

niksureal wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:42 pm
RIORIO wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 am
That DiPinto is so rad
thanks. :)
BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:37 am
thanks. yeah, pretty bummed on the CV quality.
Danley wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:14 am

im not talking about the vibrato holes being narrower than the bridge slots. the entire vibrato was routed and then mounted to the right of where it should be. all the strings were like jutting to the left to pass over the bridge. it was crazy.
i cant really pinpoint one or two specific things that feels bad on the jag, just generally feels kinda crummy. i am assuming its just an overall drop in quality. the CV stuff does look excellent though.
I think you might have gotten a bum CV Jag. Squire QC isn’t the greatest, but the same could be said about Gibson. I had one and it was absolutely flawless. I sold it after I picked up my MarrGuar, and I’m kicking myself.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm

My Classic Vibe Mustang and Starcaster are both awesome !
They are for me as good as the old Classic vibes and I find them better than the VM I have or tried .

They are really Great instruments . Maybe I was lucky but both are great .

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:09 pm

Love that DiPinto!

I'm wondering if that's why you got the Jag for so cheap? It is weird that something so badly off could get out there (past QC). I also have a black CV jag and had the exact opposite experience. I wasn't ever fussy on the VM Jags I played, but I was surprised and blown away by how solid mine felt. I've since upgraded the hell out of it... but had mine been the way you described yours, I probably wouldn't have bothered.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:51 pm

yeah, if consensus is they are good, mine and the one i worked on must have been duds.