Fender accurate Jazzmaster pickguard on a Warmoth body

For help with setups and other technical issues.
hamletpowpowpow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender accurate Jazzmaster pickguard on a Warmoth body

Post by hamletpowpowpow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:40 pm

I'm doing a partscaster Jazzmaster build, and I was going to go with Warmoth for the body/neck due to price/convenience/specs.

It was pointed out to me on these forums that the Warmoth made Jazzmaster pickguards aren't Fender accurate. Now that I know this, I can't unknow it, and it drives me crazy. I don't like how it looks when compared to the real deal.

Has any one successfully figured out a solution to this?

If I had the time and money, I'd probably do a Guitar Mill body on sale, I just don't want to wait seven months for the nitro finish, or pay for a non-relic paint job.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has been answered before. The dang search function keeps omitting "pickguard" when I try to search the forum. Go figure.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender accurate Jazzmaster pickguard on a Warmoth body

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 am

For reasons known to them they changed the routing so the pickups are placed differently on the body when compared with a genuine Fender.

You'd need to rout the Warmoth body where the pickups mount to allow a normal Fender pickguard to fit. People have done this, but seems like a pointless exercise when you can buy bodies elsewhere that don't require this.

Also I believe Warmoth bodies are thicker than the 'regular' (if such a thing exists) Fender specs - the one I have certainly is.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:47 am

Warmoth's craftsmanship is very good but their adherence to Fender specs is terrible.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:59 pm

I have done it. You basically have to rout like 1/4" of the bridge pickup rout near the bridge to get it to work. Not a huge deal. The forearm and tummy cut are a little more shallow on Warmoth vs Fender, but not a huge deal. Their bodies are awesome.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars