Jazzmaster in this months Guitar Player Mag

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Jazzmaster in this months Guitar Player Mag

Post by lalalandstudios » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:35 pm

Check out this months GP magazine - their artifacts section has a 2 page pinup quality LPB 61 JM that someone bought in 1979 for $150 - I won't tell you the whole story but its pretty amazing. Its the one w/ John Frusciante on the cover (who also is pictured with a couple of cool offsets in his interview).
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Jazzmaster in this months Guitar Player Mag

Post by zhivago » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:49 am

I'd love to see this...anyone could maybe, possibly, scan it and post it here?

:)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:15 pm

Resident Spartan.

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Unfortunately the full length, 2 page, near pin up quality guitar pic didn't make it to the online version, but at least you can read the story of the guy who bought what is now a 10K guitar for $150 at a garage sale in 1979.

The article does have all the usual jazzmaster tremelo biases, but I still loved seeing it....

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:05 pm

Somebody send that guy an email to join our group.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:40 am

lalalandstudios wrote: Unfortunately the full length, 2 page, near pin up quality guitar pic didn't make it to the online version, but at least you can read the story of the guy who bought what is now a 10K guitar for $150 at a garage sale in 1979.

The article does have all the usual jazzmaster tremelo biases, but I still loved seeing it....

oh man...I wanna see the pics :(

really cool story though...and such a moral delima....to give the guitar back or not?

I dunno what I'd do...if it was as great as the guy is saying, that would make the decision even harder...mind you, if the lady's husband had the guitar in the basement, he probably didn't play it much :/
Resident Spartan.

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:49 am

I've never had the fortune to encounter this type of moral dilemma, but I've thought about it alot in advance - for me doing the right thing trumps acquiring even the coolest slab board custom colors. Hopefully I'll never get to put this to the test though...

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:39 am

lalalandstudios wrote: I've never had the fortune to encounter this type of moral dilemma, but I've thought about it alot in advance - for me doing the right thing trumps acquiring even the coolest slab board custom colors. Hopefully I'll never get to put this to the test though...
I agree...I'd definetely lose loads of sleep if I were ever to be in a situation like this... :)
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:49 am

I'd like to think I'd return the guitar if it were me.. but eh.. I dunno about that one

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:56 am

I haven't read the article yet, but I get the drift of the conversation from the the previous posts.

I've been looking for the ultimate yard sale or pawn shop find methodically for years... I've had astounding deals but never as good as these ones you hear about. I often wonder what I would do if I came across it. I think I would give it back if it's some old lady or something. But an estate sale (where the lawyers are selling out), or a thrift shop, etc...  I would do cartwheels all the way home (erstwhile trying to avoid smashing my new find).

While it pales in comparison, I once bought a nice 80s MIA 62RI $trat from a shop for $300. They thought it was either homemade or MIJ because they couldn't find any "Made In...." on it. I didn't bat an eyelash sticking it to a shop (they've stuck it to me often enough, or tried to). It's business, and they're supposed to know it. BTW - It was a manager, not some kid, who sold it to me.
Q. Are we not men?

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:06 am

I found a 1974 Fender Champ in a shop, and I gave the guy £50 for it (somewhere around $100). It needs a bit of work, but it's otherwise great. I thought that was a pretty good bargain.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:17 am

chrisjedijane wrote: I thought that was a pretty good bargain.
It certainly is. Nice score!
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:16 pm

Best deal I ever got on gear was the gold triangle knob Big Muff for $10 froma kid whose father had given it to him.  About 10 years ago I got a couple of broken down tube stereo's for free from an antique shop after spending $10 on a old wooden TV cabinet.  I pulled a few pristine Telefunken flat plate 12AX7s out of them which to this day still sound better then any current production tube I have tried.  Other then that nothing outrageuos.  I like to buy low and sell high though.  I've made a few hundred dollars on a couple of different kramer shredders over the last two years.  They're getting more expensive as they become harder to find (and kids who loved them in high school have money to spend).  I cash in on that as often as possible.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:23 am

Jay wrote: I've made a few hundred dollars on a couple of different kramer shredders over the last two years.  They're getting more expensive as they become harder to find (and kids who loved them in high school have money to spend).  I cash in on that as often as possible.
"A mullet-wearing thirtysomething and his money will soon be parted"
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."