Installing a Hipshot B Bender....A few snags, but it's functional. PICS!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Installing a Hipshot B Bender....A few snags, but it's functional. PICS!

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:35 pm

I've been in the process of installing my new Hipshot B/G bender on my Tele for a couple weeks now...

I'll start from the beginning.  The bender arrived, so I was super excited to get it installed.  It has a hip-actuated B Bender, a palm lever which bends the G, and a toggle lever for Dropped D.  You can tune the benders for a half or whole step.  I prefer a whole step.

I figured I'd just cut grooves in the back of the bridge plate instead of the recommended holes.  My ex-bandmate did the same thing, but his guitar had the modern saddles (Like a Strat), so it worked for him.  Mine has 3 brass barrels.  There just isn't enough string tension over the saddles that way, so the strings slide all over the place and there's absolutely no sustain.  People think  JMs and Jags are bad.  ::)  There was  no way I'm going back to the modern bridge,  (YUCK)  so I ordered a replacement bridge plate, and received a lefty unit by mistake.  :-\

Nearly a week later after I received the correct plate and procrastinating a bit, I finally got around to drilling the holes in the plate and installing the thing. 

PICS:

Initial attempt: 

The unit as it arrived...

Tele Before:

Taking off the strings....

Test-fitting the unit....It came with a really long strap button screw, which is the primary attachment point.  There are also two other holes I drilled and used pickguard screws for extra support.  I need longer screws though.

Removal of the bridge....

I didn't want to remove the pickup initially, so I put cardboard down to avoid messing up the finish with my Dremel.

Cutting grooves:

Reinstalling the bridge:

Like I said, the groove idea didn't work so I ordered the new plate....

I drilled the holes and installed the unit again, also using the teflon sleeves that came with the bender kit...

It's all back together and works fine, except the G always comes back sharp when using the palm lever.  I'm going to enlarge the hole in the bridge plate upward a bit to decrease the breakover angle over the saddle on that string.  The B works flawlessly, and I've tuned all the fine adjustments.  The only other issue I have is when the B bender is actuated with the hip lever,the G goes flat.  This is due to the plate moving from the pressure on the lever.  There's felt between the plate and the top of the guitar, and the plate moves up and down ever so slightly, causing the G and low E to go a bit flat.  I'll either shim the plate or run a screw through the top.  I don't really want a big ugly hole in my guitar, so I'll try the shim first....Oh, and the spacing of the saddles is slightly too narrow on the new bridge, so the saddles aren't quite straight.  It's not intonating as well as I'd like, but it'll do for Country.  :D

This thing is really cool, and is perfect for those Clarence White bends.   8)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

analogsystem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Installing a Hipshot B Bender....A few snags, but it's functional. PICS!

Post by analogsystem » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:11 pm

check the nut on that G string.  It could be binding a bit.

That looks like a contraption from the City of Lost Children or 12 monkeys or something.  Very cool!  I always dug the b-bender idea but I got no pedal steel licks up these sleeves.  At least you didn't have to route half the guitar like the ones where you pull down on the strap button.
www.wahwahexitwound.com

analogsystem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by analogsystem » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:12 pm

www.wahwahexitwound.com

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:16 pm

analogsystem wrote: check the nut on that G string.  It could be binding a bit.

That looks like a contraption from the City of Lost Children or 12 monkeys or something.  Very cool!  I always dug the b-bender idea but I got no pedal steel licks up these sleeves.  At least you didn't have to route half the guitar like the ones where you pull down on the strap button.
I know it's not the nut because I can perform the same whole-step bend by hand and the tuning's rock solid....

It is a pretty scary looking contraption, innit?  Like a medieval torture device.  ;D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:23 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: It is a pretty scary looking contraption, innit?   Like a medieval torture device.   ;D
I allways think that when I see one!  :wtf:

Inquisitor: "Confess!"
You: "Alllrigh allright! I play country music!"
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.