Neck pocket specs - MIJ, MIA, Aftermarket

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mjet
Expat
Expat

Neck pocket specs - MIJ, MIA, Aftermarket

Post by mjet » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:06 am

I know that several folks here have mixed and matched MIJ, CIJ, MIA, Allparts, USACG and Warmoth bodies & necks. I'm eyeballing a Warmoth Jag body now and the owner says that he had to slightly widen the pocket to fit his MIJ neck. This sounds kosher as Warmoth pockets are known to run on the tight side (fair enough - better to enlarge a pocket than to wish the wood back!).

I'd like to hear from folks who have mixed brands from that list above and sound any alerts that spring to mind. I'd likely use either an old MIA '66 neck or a new AllParts 24" scale neck with the Warmoth body but don't want to have any problems down the road.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Neck pocket specs - MIJ, MIA, Aftermarket

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:15 am

I purchased a CIJ body for a Jazzblaster project and it was far too wide (for my taste anyway) for my American made neck.  I ultimately got a AVRI body that it a better fit though the neck still has a slight gap.  The difference is that the CIJ are obviously not 2 3/8 but some close but slightly wider metric measurement.  It'll still bolt on but it's not going to sit tight in the pocket.  As for Warmoth, Allparts and others I have no idea.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:26 am

On a 1959 body, I have had good, tight neck pocket fits with an AVRI neck and an Allparts neck.  There was really no difference in fit from a vintage neck, at least with these three particular necks.

Firefly
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firefly » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:48 am

Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried an allparts jag neck as there is no pic it kinda puts me off getting one.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:39 pm

I have heard alot of bad things about warmoth as of late
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.