Warmoth Bodies

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Warmoth Bodies

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:18 pm

Anyone have any experience with Warmoth bodies?  I am thinking about building a Jag with one.... 
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Warmoth Bodies

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 pm

they don't offer one that is vintage correct
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 am

JazzBlaster wrote: they don't offer one that is vintage correct
What is wrong with them, besides the oversize pickup routing? 
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:47 am

I think that is the main thing, USACG is the only place I know to get a vintage corect body.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:41 am

I bought a Jag body from Warmoth which is in the process of being painted now to match up with a '66 vintage Jag neck that I've had for a while. I'm perfectly happy with it and the different routing pattern and perhaps a few millimeters difference here and there doesn't bother me a bit. The only real gripe I've heard is when people try and put a vintage pickguard on and those millimeters make something not fit right. But if you get a Warmoth guard, it'll fit fine and you'll have paid less than half what they go for on the 'bay.

One issue to also remember is that none of the body builders (Warmoth, USACG, AllParts) have Jag bodies set up for the mute. If you want a mute, you'll have to install it yourself after the fact. It can be done - there are websites explaining how to do it to MIJ/CIJ bodies (which also don't have mutes) but bear that in mind.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 am

i have several of their products- the quality and fit, though not vintage correct, are AWESOME. i love wood too, so i go with warmoth cause the wood selection is so over the top! my next JM project will be a warmoth body, either mahogany or korina......
Member 347

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:55 am

I emailed them and the told me you couldn't use and original pickguard or pickups. I am not saying they don't make quality stuff, but as far as jaguars  go it seems to me your options with them are limited.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:34 pm

JazzBlaster wrote: I emailed them and the told me you couldn't use and original pickguard or pickups. I am not saying they don't make quality stuff, but as far as jaguars  go it seems to me your options with them are limited.
I don't see a problem with using pickups - their Jag routing pattern actually allows for more choices (they're big enough for a number of pickup combinations, single coils included).

And the pickguard isn't a big deal either as they make reasonably-priced guards in about 10 color varieties which are direct matches. They just go to lengths to explain that they're not vintage-compatible because they don't want people splashing out on a body expecting that their old vintage guard will fit.

Here's the text concerning pickguard options:
Available for Strat® size single coil or Gibson size humbuckers. No middle position pickup. Not offered for original Jaguar® pickups. This pickguard is only meant to fit our Warmoth Jaguar® body. It is not intended to retrofit Fender® Jaguar's®.
They are referring to the pickup cutout - Jag pickups require a differently sized hole in the pickguard, and Warmoth can only do Strat pickup cutouts. Fair enough - I got around this by buying a pickguard with no pickup cutouts - my luthier buddy who will do all of the refinishing & wiring down the road will just cut out the pickup holes. But then again I'm still deciding which pickups will go there, so I could go with some old 80s Fender Bullet humbuckers, two Lead-series humbuckers or a number of other options and just cut the guard to fit whatever I choose.

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:42 pm

the Jaguar pickups screw into the body, with the routs to acomidate the pickguard screws I dont see how they could be screwed to the body without modification.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:19 pm

JazzBlaster wrote: the Jaguar pickups screw into the body, with the routs to acomidate the pickguard screws I dont see how they could be screwed to the body without modification.
That's a good point. Since I'll likely go for a non-stock Jag pickup setup, I hadn't thought about that.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:41 pm

it seems from my experience Warmoth is beter for more modern type options and USACG is better vor correct vintage styled parts.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:13 am

JazzBlaster wrote: I think that is the main thing, USACG is the only place I know to get a vintage corect body.
...so the body is correct, but what's up with the oversized pickup routes?  Just a little larger than normal - is it not obvious with a pickguard in place?  Does a vintage guard not fit over them or something - do tell.....
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:08 am

the pickups screw to the body the rout on the warmoth is to deep because they clearance for non original pups to be mounted in the pickguard.

Warmoth

Vintage