New Jag project... USACG Questions..

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

New Jag project... USACG Questions..

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:21 pm

I asked recently about Warmoth bodies. After some research, I think they aren't close enough to original.

I like the USACG options.  Has anyone bought one of these?  How much do they cost?  I just want a ballpark fig.

I'm thinking 3 pickups, either p90's or Filtertrons.  I like Filtertrons a lot.  I want a Bigsby, too.  I like Inca Silver and Surf Green.  Surf Green would be easier to paint.  I have access to an auto body paint facility, so I'd paint it there.
I'm trying to find a CIJ or MIJ neck to use.

I'd put a 4 switch plate from a Bass IV for the 3 pickups, and strangle.  I had to photoshop  a Jazzmaster a little, because the Jag Dressing room didn't have all the options. I'd have to have help with the wiring if I included the rhythm circuit...

Here is the Jazzmaster
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: New Jag project... USACG Questions..

Post by sookwinder » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:13 pm

I ordered a body and neck recently

body was $180 ish
neck was  $260 ish  all depending upon what options you go for
RumorsOFsurF wrote: I'd put a 4 switch plate from a Bass IV for the 3 pickups, and strangle. 
well I don't know where you are going to get a 4 switch plate from a Bass VI from, unless you pull apart a vintage or reissue Bass VI.  you just can't get them AFAIK.

I have a spare vintage 4 switch plate (plus switches and cap) which was never fitted to a gtr.  I have it for when the day comes that the switches on my vintage bass vi stuff up.... until then it's locked up with 17 pad locks and a safe.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:28 pm

for an Alder body they quoted me a price of $170 about the same as warmoth, I am saving my pennys...
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:20 pm

sookwinder wrote:
well I don't know where you are going to get a 4 switch plate from a Bass VI from, unless you pull apart a vintage or reissue Bass VI.  you just can't get them AFAIK.

I have a spare vintage 4 switch plate (plus switches and cap) which was never fitted to a gtr.  I have it for when the day comes that the switches on my vintage bass vi stuff up.... until then it's locked up with 17 pad locks and a safe.
Are they really that hard to come by?  Some of this stuff is just ideas...  I am just brainstorming and playing with the dressing rooms. 

I do want to build a Jag, though...

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:49 pm

lets just say there are those who have had to kill for bass XI parts.... we'll leave it at that  :-\
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:09 am

JazzBlaster wrote: lets just say there are those who have had to kill for bass XI parts.... we'll leave it at that  :-\
Fair enough ;)...  I am surprised there aren't any companies that make repro stuff.  I would never cannibalize a good guitar...That's blasphemy!

Unless it is a squier :-X

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:20 am

Jaguar parts are readily available these days, I have only seen one bass XI in my life and it wasn't cheap! I was playing a baritone Jag at my local shop today, very nice!

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:46 am

Bass VI, gentlemen - a Bass XI (Bass 11) is too much for my brain to even comprehend.  ;)
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:59 am

roman numerals....
:-\

edit: it's late, I am going ot bed!

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:08 am

Here's an 11-string bass to make you sleep soundly.

There are two single strings, these are tuned low B and E. The three tripled courses are tuned E, A and D. One small tuner has been replaced with a large one for the low B string, and one tuner is unused.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:17 pm

I know that bass!  That's Stevie Conlon's - made from a Tbird body and a bolt on 12 string neck.

My bass (below) has been an 11 string on a few occasions...when I've broken an octave string:

thewizardofaz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thewizardofaz » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:03 am

Hey, there's a Dannelectro Bass VI on the bay. I think these are the ones the Who used, but kept breaking strings with.

http://tinyurl.com/2nwtyh
Rick
"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."