Re: NWRKD - new white roller knob day (+ pu-cover without holes)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
dnv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NWRKD - new white roller knob day (+ pu-cover without holes)

Post by dnv » Sat May 16, 2009 12:44 am

i just got my white roller knobs and hole-less pickup-cover from shapeways yesterday. i think they look pretty good. :)

i'm sorry i don't have any more detailed pics of the knobs, but i didn't get access to a camera until today and i just couldn't wait to install them. they're attached with a saddle height adjustment screw through a 3mm nut:

Mute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mute » Sat May 16, 2009 12:53 am

Looking good!  8)

Paul is gonna be all over these  ::)

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Sat May 16, 2009 2:39 am

Wow.
Do you have the blueprint design for the pickup covers? If I wanted to get them made would they already have the design?
Instagram: @crossguitars

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Sat May 16, 2009 3:58 am

them covers look the fucking nuts!
awesome
Custodian of the Buickmaster

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Sat May 16, 2009 5:05 am

dnv wrote: i just got my white roller knobs and hole-less pickup-cover from shapeways yesterday. i think they look pretty good. :)

i'm sorry i don't have any more detailed pics of the knobs, but i didn't get access to a camera until today and i just couldn't wait to install them. they're attached with a saddle height adjustment screw through a 3mm nut:

Oh wow hot... If the body was white too, it would be the minimalazzmaster
'cleanest, best pleasure'

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sat May 16, 2009 5:53 am

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Wow!  That is awesome!  I've heard of Shapways before, but never looked into them enough to try something like this out.  They look really fantastic, are you gonna market them?  What kind of plastic are they?
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

dnv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dnv » Sat May 16, 2009 7:01 am

CROSS_guitars wrote: Wow.
Do you have the blueprint design for the pickup covers? If I wanted to get them made would they already have the design?
i scanned and measured a CIJ pickup cover and modeled it in autodesk inventor. so i can basically make any hole configuration people would like or i could send you the file, if you have a CAD-program and some skillz.
stereordinary wrote: :o :o :o :o :o :o

Wow!  That is awesome!  I've heard of Shapways before, but never looked into them enough to try something like this out.  They look really fantastic, are you gonna market them?  What kind of plastic are they?
they are made of the one called  'white, strong & flexible'. there's a data sheet here: http://www.shapeways.com/topics/udesign ... a_2200.pdf
i've sanded the pu cover to make it smoother and less susceptible to dirt and i think i need to sand the roller knobs a bit as well, since they're going to be fondled by sweaty fingers. :P

and yes, i am going to market them, sort of. once i've ironed out a few kinks, i'm going to make them available for free on shapeways so people can order them directly from there. of course you'll have to pay them for making and shipping them, but i'm not going to charge anything for them. it might be a good idea to be two people or more per order, since there's a $25 minimum charge, and two knobs only cost about $8.

BTW, these are for MIJ/CIJ guitars, so if anyone could get me some measurements for the covers and knobs for american JMs, i could make those too. and i would reeeaaally love some measurements for some XII/RI mustang bass covers for a project of mine. :D

mcconnachiea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcconnachiea » Sat May 16, 2009 7:07 am

I'd really like to get chrome/chrome effect roller knobs. Do they do shiny plastic there?

yaksox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by yaksox » Sat May 16, 2009 7:37 am

pickup covers remind me of that kid in Twilight Zone the movie, whose brother wished she'd stop talking and her mouth disappeared.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sat May 16, 2009 7:40 am

That is really cool (and generous!) of you to offer your R&D for free.  If you want to make AVRI pickup covers, I have a pair that you can have.  I filled the holes in them with epoxy because I was gonna try to make a silicone rubber mold around them and mold my own white plastic ho-hole pickup covers, but it's a lot of work and expensive.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

mcconnachiea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcconnachiea » Sat May 16, 2009 7:53 am

yaksox wrote: pickup covers remind me of that kid in Twilight Zone the movie, whose brother wished she'd stop talking and her mouth disappeared.
???

dnv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dnv » Sat May 16, 2009 8:55 am

mcconnachiea wrote: I'd really like to get chrome/chrome effect roller knobs. Do they do shiny plastic there?
no, they don't even do completely smooth plastic. you can see the material options here: http://www.shapeways.com/about/material-options
but maybe it might be possible to strip some regular knobs and have them chrome plated?
stereordinary wrote: That is really cool (and generous!) of you to offer your R&D for free.  If you want to make AVRI pickup covers, I have a pair that you can have.  I filled the holes in them with epoxy because I was gonna try to make a silicone rubber mold around them and mold my own white plastic ho-hole pickup covers, but it's a lot of work and expensive.
well, i wouldn't call it R&D exactly, it's more like the results of my leisure activities, so i don't really feel like i'm giving away that much. :) and after having read the forum for a while, i have a feeling there are plenty of people here who would do the same, so i figure they deserve it. and it's really cool and generous of you to offer your covers, but it might be easier if someone had both kinds of covers and could compare them and just let me know how they differed.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat May 16, 2009 9:04 am

northern_dirt wrote: Oh wow hot... If the body was white too, it would be the minimalazzmaster
Apple's iMaster?
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

trstn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by trstn » Sat May 16, 2009 9:26 am

mannnnn. ive been hunting for pickup covers like that. they look awesome.

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Sat May 16, 2009 10:04 am

Orang Goreng wrote:
northern_dirt wrote: Oh wow hot... If the body was white too, it would be the minimalazzmaster
Apple's iMaster?
You got it Toyota..

Id actually really dig a Jazzmaster done up all in white like that..

Hmmm the neck/fingerboard might be problematic..
'cleanest, best pleasure'