Everyone needs a stompbox.
fetch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Really vintagey fuzz...on a budget?

Post by fetch » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:39 am

StevenO wrote:
devnulljp wrote:Guys, he said …
Fac 50 wrote:Anyone have any recommendations for a 60's sounding fuzz that gets that really nasal honk that you'll find on lots of british and american psych and garag recds. I'm thinking Yardbirds (Heart Full Of Soul), Electric Prunes (Too Much To Dream), Satisfaction etc. I'm not interested in big woolly fat fuzz, more nasal and reedy, but tameable so it's not too harsh. Is there a pedal out there than can get close for not more than £100-120 UKP? Thanks!!
That’s not a Foxx Tone Machine, not a Tone Bender MkII or III, not a Fuzz Face. (Not a muff either before someone mentions it).
Heart full of Soul is a Tone Bender MkI
Satisfaction is a Maestro FZ-1
I’m pretty sure the Electric Prunes used a Maestro as well.
Those are your best bets: TB MkI, Maestro, Fuzzrite.
Maybe he should try a big muff? ;)
I giggled a bit :blush:

Pretty sure all those guys also played at insane volumes. Just sayin'...

Technology has taught us that you can get from point a to c without having to stop at b.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:48 am

:)

Yeah, I was just joking around. I had misinterpreted what the OP was saying, and everyone else's suggestions coincided with mine. ;D

Fac 50
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fac 50 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:04 am

Hey folks - thanks for all of this info. Lots of pedals that I didn't know about, so I'm going to check out the info and hopefully try a couple of pedals if I can find them. ToneBender/Brit Bender is probably the right sort of thing but I might try a kit - we'll see.

I have access to a big muff and it's definitely not that sound I'm after. I used to have a fuzz face, which I used to use for sort of 'ripped speaker' early-Kinks sort of tone. But it couldn't do the thin reedy sound I'm talking about here.

devnulljp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by devnulljp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:37 am

Maestro FZ-1 sounds like this
Maestro FZ-1/A/B clips
Also listen to the clips of the Fuzznugget on the Creepy Fingers myspace
Here's a clip of Ian's FZ1

Fuzzrite sounds like this
Stooges I wanna be your Dog
Iron Butterfly - In a Gadda da Vidda
Blue's Theme

MkI
This is a DAM 1965 MkI tone bender -- you won't find one but it sounds good :D
So's this
Gary Hurst MkI (I have one of these with the guts replaced by Skinpimp because the original trannies were crap.
There's a Skinpimp MkI and a JMI (ack, spit, gag!) here
This is a really nice MkI built by a guy in Spain
That's him playing
Another nice MkI I don't know much about
My favourite MkI (fave fuzz!) was built for me by Jim Roth of Built to Spill. But I don't have any clips of it...yet.

Here's a 1966 (Vox Tone Bender), MkII and a couple of others

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:43 am

Voodoo Lab Superfuzz, which is not a Superfuzz clone but a Jordan Boss Tone with a 2-channel tone stack.
Definitely does a good buzzy garage fuzz sound. Should be around US$75 or so for one second-hand.

devnulljp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by devnulljp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 am

peterherman wrote:Voodoo Lab Superfuzz, which is not a Superfuzz clone but a Jordan Boss Tone with a 2-channel tone stack.
Definitely does a good buzzy garage fuzz sound. Should be around US$75 or so for one second-hand.
Or better yet, get a Mahoney Buzztone. (John McLaughlin used a Bosstone on Jack Johnson).

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:38 pm

devnulljp wrote:
peterherman wrote:Voodoo Lab Superfuzz, which is not a Superfuzz clone but a Jordan Boss Tone with a 2-channel tone stack.
Or better yet, get a Mahoney Buzztone. (John McLaughlin used a Bosstone on Jack Johnson).

Oh for sure. Since he's looking at GBP100 or so, the Buzztone comes in under budget.

redeyeflight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redeyeflight » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 pm

I just grabbed up this FZ-1 clone from Ian, it'll be my first build from him, I can give a little review when I get it but his builds seem really nice and are priced on the cheap side for all the handwiring that goes into them....worth a look!!!
devnulljp wrote:nah! He said Satisfaction, garagey and honky. None of those are tone benders, especially not a MkII, which is socks down the front of tight jeans cockrock rockstar territory. You wants a Maestro FZ-1 or maybe a Fuzzrite for that. (OK, Yardbirds, you want a MkI Tone Bender, which is similar to the FZ-1 but with more sustain and a lot more balls to it).

On a budget? Ashbass is a cheap Fuzzrite clone, or build your own. I hear the Mahoney Fuzzrite is good, but he's run out of enclosures so he's selling the populated boards on ebay for $15 -- just add a box, jacks and pots (but he won't ship outside the US, so fuck him I say!)
The only Maestro clones I can think of offhand are the Creepy Fingers Fuzz Nugget, which is $200+, and Ian Sherwenmakes one. I bet John Lyons would build you one if you asked though. Mary Kelly too probably.
MkI? Can't think of any cheap clones; they're hard to build right too apparently -- DAM 1965 (ha!), Skinpimp, Lumpy, jerms (this is my favourite fuzz), Paisley, Montgomery, Ian Sherwen/Ghost/Happy Robot ... none of those is "budget" (Although Ian just sold a prototype for $75 on ebay I should have snagged).

EDIT: YOU said UK and GBP1~200 -- drop Ian Sherwen a note. He'll do you up a good un.
http://www.happyrobotmusic.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://happyrobotmusic.blogspot.com/2010/03/fz-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

devnulljp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by devnulljp » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:19 pm

redeyeflight wrote:I just grabbed up this FZ-1 clone from Ian, it'll be my first build from him, I can give a little review when I get it but his builds seem really nice and are priced on the cheap side for all the handwiring that goes into them....worth a look!!!
Nice!

InfiniteVines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InfiniteVines » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:44 am

spaghetti western fuzz: http://www.bigfootfx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
both of their pedals are completely rad.

fostewi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fostewi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 am

Not sure if anyone would be interested in this but I just stumbled on a demo sale of the SolidGold FX Formula 76 which is supposed be based on the Ibanez Standard Fuzz (Japanese style octave up fuzz with a tone switch for mid scoop vs. hump) : http://www.moogaudio.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=1366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an older version and has less features than their newer version but the price it right (it's a demo mode, the new ones are around $250). I just ordered one...according to the site they only have a few left...(and I am not affiliated of course)

EDIT : re-reading this thread I don't think this is the vintage sound you are looking for.

philmanatee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by philmanatee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:40 pm

devnulljp wrote:Guys, he said …
Fac 50 wrote:Anyone have any recommendations for a 60's sounding fuzz that gets that really nasal honk that you'll find on lots of british and american psych and garag recds. I'm thinking Yardbirds (Heart Full Of Soul), Electric Prunes (Too Much To Dream), Satisfaction etc. I'm not interested in big woolly fat fuzz, more nasal and reedy, but tameable so it's not too harsh. Is there a pedal out there than can get close for not more than £100-120 UKP? Thanks!!
That’s not a Foxx Tone Machine, not a Tone Bender MkII or III, not a Fuzz Face. (Not a muff either before someone mentions it).
Heart full of Soul is a Tone Bender MkI
Satisfaction is a Maestro FZ-1
I’m pretty sure the Electric Prunes used a Maestro as well.
Those are your best bets: TB MkI, Maestro, Fuzzrite.
As an interesting aside, I've read that it was the same Maestro fz-1 on both Satisfaction and I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night. Phil

devnulljp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by devnulljp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:10 pm

philmanatee wrote:As an interesting aside, I've read that it was the same Maestro fz-1 on both Satisfaction and I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night. Phil
You mean the same actual pedal? That'd be a cool piece of trivia -- what's the backstory?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:10 am

fostewi wrote:Not sure if anyone would be interested in this but I just stumbled on a demo sale of the SolidGold FX Formula 76 which is supposed be based on the Ibanez Standard Fuzz (Japanese style octave up fuzz with a tone switch for mid scoop vs. hump) : http://www.moogaudio.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=1366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an older version and has less features than their newer version but the price it right (it's a demo mode, the new ones are around $250). I just ordered one...according to the site they only have a few left...(and I am not affiliated of course)

EDIT : re-reading this thread I don't think this is the vintage sound you are looking for.
Man, I'm such a sucker for that fuzz sound... Sounds exactly like the Super Fuzzz I traded to Dug.

Must. Resist.

philmanatee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by philmanatee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:09 am

devnulljp wrote:
philmanatee wrote:As an interesting aside, I've read that it was the same Maestro fz-1 on both Satisfaction and I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night. Phil
You mean the same actual pedal? That'd be a cool piece of trivia -- what's the backstory?

I'll have to find the reference, but I believe the pedal was supplied by the engineer, or someone in management that had some connection to both bands, or the studio where the recordings were done. Yes, the same actual pedal! I've never had an fz-1, all I ever find are fz-1a's. Phil