Wiring Jaguar for Series/Parallel using the strangle switch?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Johnophean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Wiring Jaguar for Series/Parallel using the strangle switch?

Post by Johnophean » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey everyone I need some help.
I want to be able to do something that I can't see how can be that complicated...but somehow I cannot find any instructions on how to do this without doing the more common series mod of both switches down.
I want to use the bass cut switch instead. The switch is not doing anything right now as it was used for a third pickup the guitar used to have and when I returned it back to a dual single coil Jag I just left the cap out and left it unused...it's just inactive.
I just want to be able to make the two single coils combine into a displaced humbucker at the flick of the old unused bass cut...is it that hard?
I've seen a bunch links on here using a few other wiring setups and there was another website I saw exactly what i needed but he hasn't got back to me with a diagram etc....so does anyone else have any diagrams for this exact mod?

Any help me figuring out how to do this would be amazing, and I would love ya for it!
Schematics and or photo's of the custom wiring would be amazingly helpful...been searching all day and most of last nite and still can't find exactly what I'm after here.
Hope to here from anybody soon. :jacked:
Last edited by Johnophean on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

lamp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wiring Jaguar for Series/Parallel using the bass-cut switch?

Post by lamp » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:47 am

I've used one of these and worked a treat.

Johnophean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnophean » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:25 am

Yup already got that one.
I'm looking for one that fully REPLACES the Bass Cut switch.
I don't use my bass cut switch and it's disabled and has no cap in there too.
Lemme know if there a series mod out there to do this. :)

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:28 pm

This should do what you're asking for:

But...it's a bit of an awkward setup - nothing like as simple as the top one of those other diagrams. With this one, if the S/P switch is in series, it messes with the normal on/off switches, and turning either pickup off will kill both. So you couldn't go from series straight to bridge only without having to move two switches. It's just not as neat as having both up parallel, both down series like on the other diagram.

It it were me, and I didn't want the bass cut, I'd maybe have the third switch as a tone/vol bypass, or (heresy) an onboard boost.

Johnophean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnophean » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Hmmmm...very interesting theworkoffire, I like your way of thinking man.
I always thought about putting a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal in there with access to the DIP switches and it can turned on by the basscut switch and it's gain volume was a wheel like the rhythm circuit has ... but then again my mind swims in Jag/Jazz/Mustang/Jagstang customizing 85% of the day anyways. :P
You might be right about the first diagram making more sense though I totally see what your saying and agree.
So what other passive mods for that switch do us Jaguar owners have?
We should make a thread & list of all the common and uncommon passive mods that can be done with the Jaguar's 3 switches on the Lead circuit and all the Jaguar/Jazzmaster Rhythm circuits mods too...man I'm sure we all got our whacky stories and tricks.
My Jag has a reversed tone knob that when its all the way off is on and when its all the way on sounds like a half cocked wah! Funny thing is I think it's broke! HA! Hey it works for me though. :)

Johnophean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnophean » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Nobody else has any ideas to throw out onto the table?