Musicmaster... 2 pickups?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Musicmaster... 2 pickups?

Post by MrShake » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:20 am

Alright, a friend of mine told me she has a Musicmaster that she loves that has 2 pickups.  Now, I know something about guitars, but I'm really just immersing myself in the nuances of the offset world beyond your standard info.  I was always under the impression that the Musicmaster was a one pickup hardtail, Duo-Sonic was a 2 pickup hardtail, and Mustang was 2 pickup with trem.  She tells me hers has the lower horn toggle switch, rather than the sliders.  I'm not entirely sure as to date, etc.

Can anyone help?  This has been driving me crazy trying to figure what's up with this guitar, and I figure if there's an answer out there, this is the place to find it.

Thanks in advance...
"Any two bit pedal can bring on distortion. Leave what little clean headroom there is alone."

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Musicmaster... 2 pickups?

Post by zhivago » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:23 am

I'd think someone just aded a pup....what year is her guitar?
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Musicmaster... 2 pickups?

Post by fullerplast » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:28 am

From 56- 64, the duosonic used a toggle on the lower horn. It had two pickups as you said. The Musicmaster shared the exact same body, and the necks are identical (except for logo). Even the codes are the same.

What probably happened with hers is:

a) Someone installed a duosonic pickguard, loaded with pups/pots/switch/etc. It was a direct drop-in, no soldering required, and takes about 10 minutes if you're slow.

OR

b) Someone switched the neck. It could be a Duo with a MM neck.

Either scenario is very likely, as these cool little geetars are regularly raped, pillaged and plundered for their vintage parts. Thus the orphan leftovers are floating around and get reassembled by projecteers.

I would rather have the second pickup than a stock MM, especially if it turns out to be an original setup from a Duo-Sonic. Even if it's non-original, it can be easily reversed.

Hope this helped!

:)
Q. Are we not men?