Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Post by egosheep » Tue May 01, 2012 3:05 pm

thingsthatfly wrote:you should find a picture of courtney playing your guitar, buy the rights to the photo and use it to publicise your guitars, its would only be fair she used something of yours without your permission
I think any association with CL is the worst idea. She's the no-talent thief who allowed the design to get stolen in the first place. Please, no more attention for her. :k

Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gonkulator » Tue May 01, 2012 7:26 pm

clickeye wrote:I guess the discovery of 13 original bodies under Danny's bed (including the one built for Kurt Cobain) has inspired us to get back to building. Check out how we spelled Cobain.Image

Put me in line? :w00t: :?

second skin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by second skin » Tue May 01, 2012 7:31 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:So Tim- are these 13 part of the original (estimated) 20, or were they part of a larger run?

PLEASE make one a 12-string for me!
Seconded on the 12 string! These look like really great guitars, good luck starting up again!

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Fri May 04, 2012 11:24 am

So the beautiful Sea Foam Green Mercury will be heading back to Danny and Tim and they're sending me a bridge for my CAR one :w00t: Exciting stuff guys!

XIIduostang!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by XIIduostang! » Fri May 04, 2012 12:02 pm

I really want one of those
"But this goes to 11"

andnowwhat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andnowwhat » Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Again man, congrats on being such a cool dude and hopefully spurring those guys into the biz again! I cant tell you how long I have wanted one of their guitars and now I may have that chance thanks to you.

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Fri May 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Me and Danny had another meeting about the guitars tonight. We were so jazzed about the reunion with our old guitar. We are so happy that Live-I-Evil is so kind and is doing such a good thing for us. We inspected the bodies and decided that one of them was unusable because of a dimensional flaw. Here's the run down on the thirteen continuation bodies. Two are Basswood solid bodies. One is a Mahogany solid body. One is a Semi-Hollow with a beautiful quilted maple top. One is the Left handed solid body intended for Kurt Kobain. Seven are Semi-Hollow bodies like the one's Live-I-Evil has. One is an odd semi-hollow with symmetrical horns (Two short ones) and Mahogany back and maple top ( I promise this one will be a one-off). Live-I-Evil get's the pick of the litter.

The other part of the meeting involved color options. We know that there will be these colors offered. Black, Blue (Like the one we are getting back. It's '57 Ford blue), and Brown burst. The rest of the colors are undecided. We have no idea what color we used on Live-I-Evil's red one. We are happy to let his be unique and choose another red. The big question is Green because we have no desire to replicate the Courtney Love one. It will be non-Metallic green this time around. Courtney Love's was a GM metallic green. Anyway, Thanks again for the support, Thanks OSG for the Forum, and a Supreme thanks to Live-I-Evil for fanning our creative embers to the point of flame.- Tim

andnowwhat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andnowwhat » Sat May 05, 2012 9:28 am

Thats great news! So can we start placing orders? :whistle:

thingsthatfly
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thingsthatfly » Sat May 05, 2012 10:52 am

egosheep wrote:
thingsthatfly wrote:you should find a picture of courtney playing your guitar, buy the rights to the photo and use it to publicise your guitars, its would only be fair she used something of yours without your permission
I think any association with CL is the worst idea. She's the no-talent thief who allowed the design to get stolen in the first place. Please, no more attention for her.
think thats abit harsh, she may have had help from others but hole were a good band, and the delivery quite her own, live through this is one of the few 'grunge' era albums that stands up still. It is pretty bad that she stole the idea, but where would electric guitars be without people stealing others ideas

these guitars seem great regardless, but the association with her that gives them a special little place in history

iodine74
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iodine74 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Been watching this thread. Freaking love this shape! :w00t: Don't know how much you'll end up selling these for... think I might need to start unloading some gear. ;D

andnowwhat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andnowwhat » Sat May 05, 2012 8:55 pm

The other part of the meeting involved color options. We know that there will be these colors offered. Black, Blue (Like the one we are getting back. It's '57 Ford blue), and Brown burst. The rest of the colors are undecided.

I will say that while I understand your not wanting to replicate a guitar that burned you, that GM green is awesome! So with that in mind, might I recommend this as an alternative to the CL associated green?

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Sat May 05, 2012 9:34 pm

I like that green stain quite a bit. Might even make a nice burst. As a little side note, Sperzel only made satin finished or blacktuning keys back then and now they make bright chrome. This is good for us because the satin finish reminds me of "Retro" instead of vintage. I know that satin chrome existed in the 50s and 60s (And always looked good on cameras) but it just looks cheap to me on a guitar. Kinda like a silver powder coated leg on a college dorm desk. Hanging out with Danny tomorrow. I will keep posting progress. Thanks again for the input. -Tim

Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gonkulator » Sun May 06, 2012 4:41 am

I am extremely excited how this thread is turning out. It would be awesome to see these guitars come back into production.

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Tue May 08, 2012 7:03 pm

thingsthatfly wrote:think thats abit harsh, she may have had help from others but hole were a good band, and the delivery quite her own, live through this is one of the few 'grunge' era albums that stands up still. It is pretty bad that she stole the idea, but where would electric guitars be without people stealing others ideas
Courtney was paid money by Fender for a design that didn't belong to her and that she had nothing to do with. Courtney had every chance to do the right thing, and she decided not to. Anyone familiar with her knows this is nothing new, this is the same person who was asking fans to help her write lyrics for her last album. At this point she is essentially a child abuser in the eyes of the courts, not exactly someone you would want associated with your guitar company relaunching.

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Tue May 08, 2012 7:59 pm

We have no desire to have Ms. Love promote our guitars. She has been better at producing controversy than producing good press. I think that she has some talent but so do most of my friends who make music. Each to their own though. I think that the "Violet" video and song are very good. Our guitar looks great in the video too.- Tim