Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Post by live-i-evil » Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 pm

clickeye wrote:ImageThe guitar arrived today.I drove home at lunch to look at it. It held up pretty darn well. According the Serial Number it will turn 19 years old next month. It is the fourth one made. We are ecstatic. Here we are in my garage. Danny is in the "Mopar" shirt. Thanks for being so supportive (All you OSG guys) and especially Live-I-Evil for kicking this creative hornet's nest.-Tim
Awesome picture, Tim! I'm so very glad it made it back to you and I'm very excited for things to come. Damn, this is one feel good thread!

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Wed May 16, 2012 3:55 pm

i just got the new squier book today, and there's quite some talk/history about/of courtney's mercury guitar in it. you guys are also mentioned!

i'll scan the page as soon as i get home!

Pat.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gonkulator » Wed May 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:i just got the new squier book today, and there's quite some talk/history about/of courtney's mercury guitar in it. you guys are also mentioned!

i'll scan the page as soon as i get home!

Pat.

Pat, would it happen to be this book? http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Electrics- ... 1617130222

If so I'm going to have to purchase one for myself!

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Wed May 16, 2012 8:09 pm

yes it's that one!
having a good read already... paul day ROCKS! ;D
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Wed May 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Crazy. In the last 24 hours I bought a scroll saw and a 6" Jointer (Both for $100) and here's the best news. I got a Delta "Unisaw" pro Table saw for $75 !!!!!!! I have never seen one for less than $500. Fate?

Anyway, here is a kinda cool picture of the master body templates from the Mercury.Image

andnowwhat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andnowwhat » Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 pm

I am loving this thread! I can't wait to see a new Mercury posted here!

Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gonkulator » Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 am

clickeye wrote:Crazy. In the last 24 hours I bought a scroll saw and a 6" Jointer (Both for $100) and here's the best news. I got a Delta "Unisaw" pro Table saw for $75 !!!!!!! I have never seen one for less than $500. Fate?

Anyway, here is a kinda cool picture of the master body templates from the Mercury.Image

It is meant to be with that deal. ;D

andnowwhat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andnowwhat » Tue May 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:yes it's that one!
having a good read already... paul day ROCKS!
So, what does the book say?

b70valkyrie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by b70valkyrie » Tue May 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Wow... Just... Wow. I read this thread when it was less than a page long, loved the guitar, flinched at the price, relegated it to the "dreams" closet, and continued browsing... The fact that it was still being updated and had made it to seven pages led me to have another look today and, as I mentioned before... wow. If I was even remotely able to afford one I would already have sent an email ;D awesome story, awesome guitar!

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Tue May 22, 2012 8:43 pm

The crazy continues. I went and picked up the $75 Delta Unisaw off of Craigslist. After some research I found out that it is one of the earliest and collectible unisaws out there. It was made in the 3rd month of the first year of production in 1939! I also joined a group of vintage tool collectors to help with finding woodworking tools. I am getting a vintage Delta 14" band saw for $125 from one of the members. I already picked up the mint conditioned scroll saw. I guess this guitar building is becoming a reality. We also have decided to take Jingle Jangle's advice and clean up the electronic layout and make the two toggle switches go away and make the tone knobs "Pull pot" style. More later. - Tim

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 pm

clickeye wrote:The crazy continues. I went and picked up the $75 Delta Unisaw off of Craigslist. After some research I found out that it is one of the earliest and collectible unisaws out there. It was made in the 3rd month of the first year of production in 1939! I also joined a group of vintage tool collectors to help with finding woodworking tools. I am getting a vintage Delta 14" band saw for $125 from one of the members. I already picked up the mint conditioned scroll saw. I guess this guitar building is becoming a reality. We also have decided to take Jingle Jangle's advice and clean up the electronic layout and make the two toggle switches go away and make the tone knobs "Pull pot" style. More later. - Tim
Awesome awesome awesome. Sounds like everything is lining up for you guys. Crazy cool tool deals too.

Gonkulator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gonkulator » Sat May 26, 2012 4:45 am

clickeye wrote:The crazy continues. I went and picked up the $75 Delta Unisaw off of Craigslist. After some research I found out that it is one of the earliest and collectible unisaws out there. It was made in the 3rd month of the first year of production in 1939! I also joined a group of vintage tool collectors to help with finding woodworking tools. I am getting a vintage Delta 14" band saw for $125 from one of the members. I already picked up the mint conditioned scroll saw. I guess this guitar building is becoming a reality. We also have decided to take Jingle Jangle's advice and clean up the electronic layout and make the two toggle switches go away and make the tone knobs "Pull pot" style. More later. - Tim
Awesome tool deals. I can't wait for you two to start making guitars again. Really happy to see everything working out for you guys.

clickeye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by clickeye » Wed May 30, 2012 10:04 am

I had another meeting with Danny and we are going forward on the first batch. We have to hustle to get the Pickup winder developed (Winding them by hand is a pain). After further testing we are more impressed with the sound than we remembered. We are probably going to just make the gauge of the winding smaller to get a little more gain and leave them at that. We also talked more about having a more professional looking logo printed for the headstock.

On another issue, we have decided that binding (Even on the solid bodies) will be standard but if anyone wants to opt out they can. We even toyed with the idea of an option to have a solid with a sound hole that looks Semi-Hollow. Another small change will be a ID tag inside the sound hole.

We are also considering building our own 4' x 4' CNC router for the bodies and pick guards.

All and all we are pleased with the guitar's aesthetics, ergonomics and sound. No drastic changes are necessary and we will fight the urge to make changes for the sake of seeing something "Different"- Tim

andnowwhat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andnowwhat » Wed May 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Fantastic! I truly can't wait.

huffyboy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by huffyboy » Wed May 30, 2012 6:53 pm

I am speechless but felt compelled to say all involved here "way to be"..Cheers