jay turser surfmaster images

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
psalt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

jay turser surfmaster images

Post by psalt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:40 pm

thought you guys might enjoy my initial inspection of this guitar. click them for a larger view and feel free to ask questions.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: jay turser surfmaster images

Post by eggwheat » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:42 pm

why did you strip it and inspect it?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:49 pm

Seems to be filled with cocaine.

psalt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by psalt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:58 pm

eggwheat wrote: why did you strip it and inspect it?
Well for one I just wanted to see how it was wired up as the circuit is a bit unique from most instruments. It's got an inductor and some different variations on tone switches in there.

Another is that I hate all the polishing compound that is often left inside guitars, it just bothers me knowing it's in there. So I take them apart and clean them up. It took me a good half hour to get all of it out of this one, there was a ton of it.

Another was to check for flaws as I know it's a cheap guitar. If you look as the image with the vibrato system removed you'll see the screw that broke through the wood. If I hadn't taken it apart I would not have seen this flaw and known to fix it.

Finally I just think it's fun to do. I love to take things apart and see how they function and fit together, I've done it since childhood and will probably continue to do so until I die.

psalt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by psalt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:59 pm

StevenO wrote: Seems to be filled with cocaine.
lol, it's buffing compound used in the last step of finishing to make it all shiny.

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm a taker-aparter too, mostly in search of the delicious cocaine left in the cavities.

Ok, mostly untrue. I do love seeing how things go together.
Stone Deaf In The U.S.A.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:39 pm

psalt wrote:
eggwheat wrote: why did you strip it and inspect it?

Finally I just think it's fun to do. I love to take things apart and see how they function and fit together, I've done it since childhood and will probably continue to do so until I die.

same here.. it's my favorite part of getting a new guitar, even more than playing it.. that sounds really weird I'm sure but I'll have plenty of time to play it and that first time of really getting into a guitar and seeing how it's built and been treated over the years is great fun for me!

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 pm

I have a Jay Turser strat copy. I am thinking of replacing the pickups and electronics with a Seymour Duncan Live Wires set I got about 10 years ago when a store went out of business. I have all the parts - only thing is the damn pickups need 18 volts (2 9 volt batteries) to run and I probably will have to rout out a cavity in there for the batteries.
The Jay Turser guitar is cheap and probably the pickups will be worth more than the guitar.
Tursers have  a head stock that looks like someones' foot in a wool stocking. Kind of stupid looking headstock.

I have a separate pickguard and pots and switch loaded up with the duncans so if I hate the guitar I can always put it in something else.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:48 pm

Indeed, taking a guitar appart is a good way to find out things abaout a certain guitar and it's very helpfull too.
I took appart every guitar I ever owned. So now I fix and build my own guitars....
a while back a friend of mine gave me a '66 Teisco ES 335 body with no neck, scored a Univox Custom neck localy and I now have a very good working a sounding hollowbody guitar for just $75....something you won't be able to do if you never took a guitar apart....
Anyway most of my gear came from someone's scrap heap....and it's not expensive.
Starts with guitars and before you know it it also involves amps....but after a while you get a pretty expensive collection of gear without having to take a loan....
And some "awfull" brands have produced intersting guitars for little money...
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

burntumber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burntumber » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:26 pm

there's a minty blue one for sale near me.

wanted to play one but could never find one for sale.

pickups sound pretty fine. nice fat single coil tone.

tremolo system, oh jaysuz, it barely moves.

the switches on the upper horn, I only hear a difference in the bridge pickup.
it sounds like turning the tone knob half way, for a jazzy sound.

middle switch I didn't notice any difference.
neck switch was REALLY subtle.

what sort of mod could be done to those switches?

spindizzy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spindizzy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:25 pm

StevenO wrote:Seems to be filled with cocaine.
It helps with both attack and sustain. Decay can be somewhat sharpish though.