which should i get

Make it loud here.

I'm looking to get a new amp out off these two which ones do you prefer andd why?

twin reverb 72 silverface
79%
twin reverb 65 reissue
21%

Total votes: 14

mredhot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

which should i get

Post by mredhot » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm looking to get a better amp than my marshall avt50, i want more because i've used my friends blues deluxe and realized my tonal potential, I still havent had the chance to try either out but am going to very soon, out of the two which ones would you say is the best, and which one would handle pedals the best?

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: which should i get

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Silverface Fenders are the best bargain in vintage amps, IMO.  They can be found for very reasonable prices, and they are much more serviceable than an RI....

I prefer the non-master models...

My '71:

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Whast the difference beween blakcface and silverface.. Year?
'cleanest, best pleasure'

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:27 pm

northern_dirt wrote: Whast the difference beween blakcface and silverface.. Year?
There were some circuitry differences, although generally speaking, quite modest ones. "Blackface" and "silverface" refer to the dates that they were manufactured. Blackfaces (if I recall correctly) run from the early 60s until the '67 or '68, and then silverface cosmetics kick in, running up until the late 1970s/very early 1980s.

There are some tonal characteristics that separate the two eras, although the web is rife with info about how to "blackface" your silverface amp. It's usually just replacing a few components and from what I can tell most people who have silverfaces are pretty happy with their stock amps.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Twins are weird sometimes, I'm not a big fan.  They're all a little bit different.  If you can get the '72 at a decent price and have it 'blackfaced', it's a better investment.    Tubescreamer & other OD type pedals sound great through them but most fuzzes don't.  Fuzzes tend to sound brighter, more buzzy & 'bee' like.  Almost any distortion/fuzz pedals sound great through the RI model though.

You can't lose either way, Twins will always have a great clean sound which is very useful.

mredhot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mredhot » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:34 pm

OffYourFace wrote: Twins are weird sometimes, I'm not a big fan.  They're all a little bit different.  If you can get the '72 at a decent price and have it 'blackfaced', it's a better investment.    Tubescreamer & other OD type pedals sound great through them but most fuzzes don't.   Fuzzes tend to sound brighter, more buzzy & 'bee' like.  Almost any distortion/fuzz pedals sound great through the RI model though.

You can't lose either way, Twins will always have a great clean sound which is very useful.
ya i figured if i get one of these i would add a ehx english muffn to my pedals to get that classic marshall tube distoriton

EnosEmurf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by EnosEmurf » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Go for the silver, they are amazing amps, if you know how to use your guitar/amps eq/pedals you can get whatever tone you want out of them.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:05 am

OffYourFace wrote: Twins are weird sometimes, I'm not a big fan.  They're all a little bit different.  If you can get the '72 at a decent price and have it 'blackfaced', it's a better investment.    Tubescreamer & other OD type pedals sound great through them but most fuzzes don't.   Fuzzes tend to sound brighter, more buzzy & 'bee' like.  Almost any distortion/fuzz pedals sound great through the RI model though.

That's strange, my muff tone has never been better than the one I get with the old blackface in the rearshall.. ???
A matter of taste for sure! ;)
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:10 pm

Ooooh, play them if you can.  I bought a silverface, ad it had more crunch than my goddamn halfstack.  I sold it, and eventually bought a reissue for crystal clean tonezzzzz!
I prefer their older stuff.

mredhot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mredhot » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

aen wrote: Ooooh, play them if you can.  I bought a silverface, ad it had more crunch than my goddamn halfstack.  I sold it, and eventually bought a reissue for crystal clean tonezzzzz!
well I owuld want a little breakup

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Then i guess a silverface would be preferable.  It's true about blackface twins, to overdrive them is masochistic.
I prefer their older stuff.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm

mredhot wrote:
aen wrote: Ooooh, play them if you can.  I bought a silverface, ad it had more crunch than my goddamn halfstack.  I sold it, and eventually bought a reissue for crystal clean tonezzzzz!
well I owuld want a little breakup
My Silverface Twin DOES NOT break up at all!!  It's clean to 8!  :o

Beware, if you are looking for breakup...Not going to happen.  There must have been a prob with Aen's Twin...
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

mredhot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mredhot » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:54 am

i think i heard somewhere that if you remove some of the tubes you get breakup, is this true and is it is does it hurt the amp?

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:11 am

mredhot wrote: i think i heard somewhere that if you remove some of the tubes you get breakup, is this true and is it is does it hurt the amp?
If you remove a couple on the four preamps you have the half of the power, than you can crank it more...

BTW
the vintage blackface I use in rearshall breaks up if you past 3 and you keep the EQ completely cranked (as I do)...
Not a plexi thing, but something like minutemen guitar sound...
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:16 pm

If you want breakup you just grab a lower wattage SF amp.  The Vibrolux is a good one.  I snagged mine of ebay for $700 a few months ago - although it was a little beaten up.  Anything 35 watts or less will be a good for breakup(as far as BF/SF fenders go).  The Pro Reverb is a good one for anyone wanting a Twin - it's plenty loud with tons of clean but you can actually drive it when you crank it and you won't wake up neighbors in the next time zone....although it doesn't give up as good a crunch as the Vibrolux Reverb/Deluxe Reverb/Princetons.    The trade off is you get nicer cleans of course. 

The Vibrolux Reverb isn't my favorite sounding amp, but I think it's one of the absolute best values for gigging musicians who need access to a wide number of tones both clean and gritty ones.  I'm a fan. 
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."