Is a 22 watt tube amp suitable for home use?

Make it loud here.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is a 22 watt tube amp suitable for home use?

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:55 pm

MatthewK wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:40 pm
tribi9 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:51 pm
I got a 50 watt amp in my bedroom. :ph34r:
go hard *and* go home!
Silverface Vibrosonic Reverb under the desk and a BF Showman on top of an EVM 15L equipped 1x15" in the spare room. I think with both I could probably serenade/annoy the 'neighbours' on the other side of the valley several kilometres away.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:37 pm

I have a 65 DRRI & it’s loud! To accomplish your goal you’ll need an Attenuator or something like that with a DRRI.

For Home use I usually use my 65 PRRI. They are great all around Amps.. It will do what you want it to do.. I even play small/medium size Gigs. Even if sometimes I might have to Mic it, which sounds great & is easy…

I love that it’s small, light weight & easy to haul around.. Sometimes I will take just the 65 PRRI in one hand & 1 Guitar in the other. Easy in, Easy out….

I have a Twin too that almost never gets played….

Sometimes, less is more…

HedonismBot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HedonismBot » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Taking all that was mentioned above into consideration, it sounds like what I need is a low / medium wattage tube amp with a built-in attenuator or, at least, a master volume knob. Considering that I’d like to start jamming with a drummer again in the future, I guess I should aim for something that has an attenuator switch with 2 wattage options: something in the 1-5 watt range for home + something in the 10-15 watt range for playing with a drummer (that should be enough, right)? Ideally, the amp that I’m looking for would also have a built-in reverb.

So far, the only amp that I have read about that fits the description is Allen Chihuahua, but I’m afraid it’s out of my price range (realistically, I don’t see myself paying more than ~$700 for an amp). Are any of you aware of any existing alternatives that would satisfy my criteria?

Also, what are the pros and cons of the attenuator switch vs master volume control?

P.S: it’s been a while so thanks for bearing with my possibly dumb questions.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:09 pm

Have you considered the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb? Built in attenuator (0.2W / 0.5W / 1W / 5W / 12W / Full 22W) that can easily hit your breakup level on the lower attenuator settings without disturbing your family and neighbors.

Yes, solid state but the light weight of the amp is a big selling point and the fact you don't have to deal with tube replacements. Also, for recording, you have line out features. There are deals on Reverb and the Used section in Guitar Center.

I have the Tone Master Twin (with the Celestion speakers even though I actually prefer Jensen) and it's likely the only amp I'll take out to jam / gig with unless I breakdown and go for the Tone Master Super Reverb. I've taken it over to jam with friends (2 guitars/drummer/bassist) and the TMTR performed great. At this point, my heavier tube amps will rarely (if at all) be used out of the house. My Tone Master Twin Reverb is as light as my Fender Princeton.

This is coming from a guy with a variety of tube amps ranging from a Fender Princeton (12W) to Fender Showman (85W). FWIW, I play all my tube amps at home at comfortable levels without disturbing family or neighbors (or my own ears - if Volume is set to over 3, I'll use earplugs).

Personally, I typically play clean but when I need overdrive, distortion, or fuzz, I use the relevant pedals. I've never been too concerned about amp volume breakup unless I'm out playing with friends or gigging.

If you must have amp breakup, the Tone Master amps (Twin, Deluxe, Super) can do that for you without annoying family or neighbors.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 pm

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:10 pm

Sure, if you're fine with turning it down. I play an AC15 in a crowded apartment building and I just... turn it down and use pedals. Seems to work fine and I haven't gotten any complaints.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:19 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:10 pm
Sure, if you're fine with turning it down. I play an AC15 in a crowded apartment building and I just... turn it down and use pedals. Seems to work fine and I haven't gotten any complaints.
I second this.. I have an AC15-CC1X with a UK Celestion Alnico Blue Spkr that sounds great! I can play it as soft or loud as I want clean or with dirt by adjusting Master Volume & Top Boost.. Came with Reverb & Tremelo for under $800.00…. I think the new C1’s are about the same price…

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:29 am

Is a Deluxe Reverb can be too loud for bedroom/appartment use? Of course, it can!
Is a Deluxe Reverb can be played in a appartment without disturbing too much for neighbors? Yes it can. Just play it around 1,5/2 on the volume knob. You also have a volume knob on your guitar if the amp is too loud.
What you cannot have with a DR is tube distortion at that volume. Honestly, tube distortion at bedroom level is unattainable unless you have 0,5w amp (or less) or a good attenuator.

Also some amp sound better at low volume. I have a Vibro-Champ and I Tiny Terror. I think my Tiny Terror sound better then my Vibro-Champ at low volume, even if it have a 12" speaker and it can go louder. But both can be played in my appartment.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:36 pm

I run a 18W Ampeg Reverborocket in my apartment, works fine and sounds good - I play fairly clean though, I *do* use an Echoplex preamp to fatten thing up a bit but other than that, no complaints from the neighbors or from me tone-wise.

That said it's *definitely* overkill... requisite pron

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:41 am

Arthon wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:29 am
Is a Deluxe Reverb can be too loud for bedroom/appartment use? Of course, it can!
Is a Deluxe Reverb can be played in a appartment without disturbing too much for neighbors? Yes it can. Just play it around 1,5/2 on the volume knob. You also have a volume knob on your guitar if the amp is too loud.
What you cannot have with a DR is tube distortion at that volume. Honestly, tube distortion at bedroom level is unattainable unless you have 0,5w amp (or less) or a good attenuator.

Also some amp sound better at low volume. I have a Vibro-Champ and I Tiny Terror. I think my Tiny Terror sound better then my Vibro-Champ at low volume, even if it have a 12" speaker and it can go louder. But both can be played in my appartment.
Tube Distortion at extremely low volume is easily attainable with a Vox AC15 Amp with Master Volume & Top Boost… Even with your Guitar Volume & Tone controls maxed… And it sounds great!

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:54 am

Larsongs wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:41 am
Arthon wrote:

Tube Distortion at extremely low volume is easily attainable with a Vox AC15 Amp with Master Volume & Top Boost… Even with your Guitar Volume & Tone controls maxed… And it sounds great!
The Master Volume of the AC15 must be better then I think, because it was very hard to achieved a appartment volume with my ex-AC10; one of the main reason I sold it.
The Blues Cartographer

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:49 am

Arthon wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:54 am
Larsongs wrote:
Arthon wrote:

The Master Volume of the AC15 must be better then I think, because it was very hard to achieved a appartment volume with my ex-AC10; one of the main reason I sold it.
I guess I'm misunderstanding how you guys play at home. I don't really assume I'm going to get awesome tone at home because amps sound good loud, so I just compensate by using pedals at super low volumes and get as close as I can. The goal of 'quiet' at home tends to supercede any other concerns. Otherwise, why not just get a headphone amp or something?
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:06 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:49 am
I guess I'm misunderstanding how you guys play at home. I don't really assume I'm going to get awesome tone at home because amps sound good loud, so I just compensate by using pedals at super low volumes and get as close as I can. The goal of 'quiet' at home tends to supercede any other concerns. Otherwise, why not just get a headphone amp or something?
That's exactly how I do it. I play my Vibro-Champ in the 2nd input, or my TT in 7 watts mode and super low on the gain and volume knob, and I use a SD-1 for overdrive.
The Blues Cartographer

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:37 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:49 am
Arthon wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:54 am
Larsongs wrote:

I own several Fender, Vox Amps & one Marshall Amp.

Most Fender Amps have only a Volume Control & lack an additional separate Gain or Top Boost Control… Other Brands like Vox have both…

Having a Volume Control & a separate Gain or Top Boost Control allows you to add as much Distortion as you want & the ability to turn the volume down as low as you want.. The Tube Distortion sounds great at any volume. Including low Bedroom volume….. Distortion Pedals aren’t necessary….

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:18 am

I'm using a DRRI and heavily modded Blues Jr in my home studio in a newer, fairly well insulated condo. Both amps, alone or together, are too damn loud, but boy do they sound glorious. Neither gets turned up past 1.75, which is the point where a little valve saturation (not breakup) settles in. I have an unspoken arrangement with my neighbors: I get home from work and play until 6 (which is when my neighbors come home from their office jobs) and do recording on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. I haven't received any complaints yet, although I'm considering picking up a Tonemaster for practicing.