Oops I did it again, Baby...(Formerly "It's Been A Looong Weekend...")

Make it loud here.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: It's Been A Looong Weekend...

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:08 am

Nice gear! Yeah, I'll have to set that up with the Sennheiser. I played with the attenuator the other night and it's awesome. Even the 1w! Now I can play after the wife goes to bed. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:43 pm

yeah - i got this little Roland cube that 'models' BF and Vox, etc.
for playing these art-show gigs where we strolled about playing
all on battery power. no gigs these days, but turns out it's real nice
for practicing after m'girl's bedtime without wearing pesky headphones.

...but yours would surely be the first Twin Reverb in history to be played after bedtime 8)
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Brownfacing (aesthetically only, still blackface tonally) the blonde Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb is complete! 8)

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:38 pm

So to keep things tidy in my own Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb thread, I have a bit of an update:

I've gone back and forth thinking about putting this beastie up for sale and putting the funds toward a Tone Master Super Reverb which has Jensen P10R speakers with Alnico Magnets. I prefer Jensen speakers in my Fender amps...or JBL, Weber, and Eminence over Celestion speakers in general. Of course, the Celestion greenback sounds great as expected in my Vox AC15C1-TV. Guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist for Vox and Fender amp speakers.

The stock Celestion NEO Creamback speakers in the Twin Reverb are decent but I've been curious as to how the original Tone Master Twin Reverb's stock Jensen N-12K neodymium speakers sound. Do they sound like typical Jensen speakers (which work great for surf to me)?

I took the plunge and ordered a pair of the Jensen N-12K neodymium speakers - should arrive next Friday. If they work, cool, it will save me the hassle of moving this one on and getting the TM Super Reverb. If they aren't great, well, then I'll put it all back to stock and move it one and move the N-12K neo speakers on, too, and go for the TM Super Reverb

I also bought a set of Jensen Vintage Alnico 10" P10Q 40 watt (8 Ohm) speakers to swap out the Jensen MOD 50 Watt speakers the previous owner of my Fender "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb installed. I'm just not feeling the MOD speakers. The P10Q speakers will hopefully give me closer to the brown faceplate tone I prefer.

I'll follow up after they've arrived and are installed! 8)

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:35 pm

Installed the Jensen N-12K neodymium speakers today and they've brought back that sweet Fender tone that I've been missing with the stock Celestion NEO Creamback speakers. My TM TR is a keeper for me now. Now I can pass on the TM Super Reverb.

Also, I installed my new Jensen Vintage Alnico P10Q speakers for my Fender "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb and swapped out the previous owner's set of Jensen MOD speakers. Again, another huge difference for me. The MODs were too dark for my needs. I'm gonna move them on.

Successful speaker swap outs all around - it's been a good day. :)

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:31 pm

Glad you’re happy with it… It’s really good looking..

Wish it sounded more Tube like.

Good luck with it..

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:47 pm

I just bought one. Couldn't resist. Found out the GF isn't pregnant so I said.... new amp! Selling off my Super Reverb, Blackface Bassman head. MAYBE my blonde Studio Bass Amp head if this satisfies the needs. Still keeping the Blonde Showman though ;)

Interested to hear these speakers and if I want to change the speakers like how you did Surfy. Isn't there firmware updates and stuff?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:50 pm

Congrats on both counts! :D

Did you get the black or blonde version? The blonde's Celestion NEO Creamback speakers are perfectly fine but if you're like me and prefer that more Fender-y tone, I was glad to make the upgrade to the Jensen N-12K Neodymium speakers. They go for about $260 a speaker (US).

Here's the TM Twin Reverb Firmware upgrades procedure - make sure you grab the blonde firmware upgrade (assuming you got the blonde?).

https://fendercustomersupport.microsoft ... e/KA-01918

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:05 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:50 pm
Congrats on both counts! :D

Did you get the black or blonde version? The blonde's Celestion NEO Creamback speakers are perfectly fine but if you're like me and prefer that more Fender-y tone, I was glad to make the upgrade to the Jensen N-12K Neodymium speakers. They go for about $260 a speaker (US).

Here's the TM Twin Reverb Firmware upgrades procedure - make sure you grab the blonde firmware upgrade (assuming you got the blonde?).

https://fendercustomersupport.microsoft ... e/KA-01918
Hells yeah I got the blonde. Got some cream cupcake knobs comin' too. Man, 260 per SPEAKER? Jeezus!

Have you updated your amp with the frimware? Not sure if I will mess with it unless I hear it makes a big difference.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:21 pm

Nice! Well, I'd recommend playing with the amp before applying the firmware - here's the description to see if it's something that works for you. I went ahead and did it in any case.
ToneMaster_Blonde_Twin_RvbMod_1.1.35

Modified reverb control for easier fine tuning at lower settings.
Celestion Neo Creamback speaker line out IRs captured with Shure SM57 and Sennheiser MD 421 microphones.
Yeah, the Jensen N-12K Neodymium speakers weren't cheap but I figured if they work, then I wouldn't need to sell the TM Twin and spend more on the TM Super Reverb down the road.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:00 am

Hey Surfy, how do you find the power scaling/attenuation? Does it drastically alter the amp or is it more of a simulation of a notched master volume? I'd imagine with a 12 in speaker it'd still be throwing out a fair few dB.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:26 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:00 am
Hey Surfy, how do you find the power scaling/attenuation? Does it drastically alter the amp or is it more of a simulation of a notched master volume? I'd imagine with a 12 in speaker it'd still be throwing out a fair few dB.
I think it was in the Andertons demo a while back where they stated that it was not a true attenuator and likely a notched master volume. However, it attenuates well. When at 1W and dimed, the overdrive sounds great with decent output. Any higher watt setting and I need my earplugs and make sure my dogs are out of our home office with the door shut. Typically, though, I leave it at 5W around 3 on the volume control when playing at home. It's really that loud.

I've had 3 tube Twin Reverbs in the past and I've always played them at home around 2- 3 on the volume control like I have to with my 85W '63 Showman. I can't do that with the TM Twin Reverb even when attenuated at 22W or 40W. It's an extremely loud amp on the 85W mode (same watt as a Tube Twin). I've jammed with friends with it set on 22W and it cut through the mix just fine. I would use the 85W mode for playing outdoor gigs in a large venue.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:25 pm

I got it in, sounds killer! But when I tilt it back with the tilt back legs, something internally rattles. Going to try to tighten everything down tomorrow and see if that can fix it. Gah!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Congrats! Glad you're enjoying it and good luck with the tilt back rattle. I'll test mine out on our hardwood floor to see if that's an issue - I usually have it on my carpet in the home office.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:13 pm

sounds pretty good. I need to do a double blind test of one. I work with a lot of tube amps along with Quilter and other new class D amps, and I have not come to terms with class D on guitar yet. Sounds fine in a live mix and much easier to move around, but something is always “Off” when I play them.

Class D on bass is something special, but I treat bass more HiFi.