Downsizing amps

Make it loud here.
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Downsizing amps

Post by panoramic » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:08 am

i'd skip on the ac-10 entirely if i were you. look at ac-10 repair videos on youtube for clarification why.

The ac-15 heads are supposedly good but if i were you i would just keep those two bigger amps and get one smaller amp you like a lot. I have a 65 bandmaster and a 1st year Hot Rod Deluxe and neither has been up above 3.5 in the last 8 years. I could gig easily with either but I am not gigging and I know that even though I have been known to play out here and there I am not likely to be in a band long term anytime soon. I bought a orange micro dark recently and that thing is hella cool for $100, also do not overlook the epiphone valve jr's or pro jr's for cool smaller amp sounds. I know you're talking vintage but those american pro jr's are really great little amps, they growl with the best of them.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:16 am

I can't believe I haven't said this yet, but...

Princeton Reverb is always the answer.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:42 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:16 am

I was going to chime in with this advice. I have no complaints about mine, except that I upgraded the speaker in mine (JBL e110) in a vain attempt to be able to play it with a band context, but it still doesn't have enough headroom. But for home use it's glorious. Maybe also worth considering that two tiny town amps in stereo can be really fun and, although it isn't the same as a big one going at its sweet spot, it can be breathtaking. (I tend to use the SFPR, Pro Jr, or Kim's Musicmaster Bass amp in a stereo configuration at home. I wish I'd help onto the SF Bronco Amp and Vibro Champ, but sold them to fund the Princeton and don't regret that upgrade).

Keep one or both of the Bassman and AC30, just in case. Worst case, they make great amp stands for the smaller stuff. I don't have experience with the IR Load boxes, but I'm certain they sound better than the Scholz PowerSoak etc.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:38 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:04 am
Anyone else downsize their amps and came to terms with it? Were you happy with the compromise, or wish you had kept the larger ones? If you were happy, did you go smaller combos or did you go for lower power versions of what you had? Or just went for a completely different sound because you’re not 25 anymore and chasing a different tone now?
I went from SF Twin Reverbs and Bassman amps down to a tweed Deluxe and Champ. Still have a few small amps like the Champ but I'm back to a BF Bassman, a jtm45 halfstack and am building a Hiwatt. Small amps can sound really good but they are they're own thing. For some things, a bigger amp at a lower volume is just what I'd rather have. I am selling a few of my smallest amps but I'm keeping the Champs.
She/Her

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:31 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:38 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Anyone else downsize their amps and came to terms with it? Were you happy with the compromise, or wish you had kept the larger ones? If you were happy, did you go smaller combos or did you go for lower power versions of what you had? Or just went for a completely different sound because you’re not 25 anymore and chasing a different tone now?
I went from SF Twin Reverbs and Bassman amps down to a tweed Deluxe and Champ. Still have a few small amps like the Champ but I'm back to a BF Bassman, a jtm45 halfstack and am building a Hiwatt. Small amps can sound really good but they are they're own thing. For some things, a bigger amp at a lower volume is just what I'd rather have. I am selling a few of my smallest amps but I'm keeping the Champs.
Definitely discovered the AC4 is its own thing. I might be able to go from my ‘93 AC30 to an AC15HW, but I don’t care for the CC version and the AC10 isn’t looking like an adequate replacement either. I think I might just have to keep the AC30.

The Princeton isn’t anything like the Tweed Bassman, but it’s a good sounding amp doing something that I like, so could be a worthwhile addition on it’s own, even if not a direct replacement.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:30 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:31 pm
hulakatt wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:38 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Definitely discovered the AC4 is its own thing. I might be able to go from my ‘93 AC30 to an AC15HW, but I don’t care for the CC version and the AC10 isn’t looking like an adequate replacement either. I think I might just have to keep the AC30.

The Princeton isn’t anything like the Tweed Bassman, but it’s a good sounding amp doing something that I like, so could be a worthwhile addition on it’s own, even if not a direct replacement.
After playing quite a few Fender amps of various generations, I've found that the closest tweed amp to the Bassman is actually the Champ. They both have that same stiffness in the cleans. Most of the other Fender tweeds I've played are far looser in the cleans and dirt. Of course the Bassman and Champ can both get pretty ragged when you really wind them up!

I've played a few Princeton Reverbs. I really like the Ri's but I've never played a vintage one I actually liked. Each one was like a worse tweed Deluxe with no redeeming reason to choose one over the Deluxe. Yeah, they had T and B over a single Tone knob and trem and reverb but the tone section wasn't really and improvement soundwise and the trem and reverb were both like cheaper, toy versions of the typical Fender trem and reverb of that era. The only way to make a tweed Deluxe better would have been to put in some good tremolo and Fender, more or less, did just that with the 5G9 tweed Tremolux and the 5f11 Vibrolux.
She/Her

Twang Deluxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Twang Deluxe » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:37 am

I would suggest a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb and a nice dirt pedal

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:42 am

I would suggest keeping big amps with a good master volume control.
Roza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_imQDC4eUOjuBBRl2mBwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQgllCIpqY
https://rozaliftwave.bandcamp.com/

Dr. Ooh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dr. Ooh » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:42 am

I ran with the same basic setup as you, back in my touring days, 15-20 years ago. For smaller venues, used reactive load box. Worked a charm.

Today, if I was touring again, I’d go with a Tone Master and an AC-15. Or Tone Master and Laney LA-Studio.

95% of the time now, in the studio, I use the entire suite of UA amp pedals, a laney la-studio, and Roland JC-40 (di’d). When I need to play the UA through a cab, I use a Laney FRFR. Or regular Laney cab for the LA-Studio. Couldn’t be happier with the combination of sounds.

itcamefromiowa
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by itcamefromiowa » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:25 am

cestlamort wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:42 am
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:16 am

I was going to chime in with this advice. I have no complaints about mine, except that I upgraded the speaker in mine (JBL e110) in a vain attempt to be able to play it with a band context, but it still doesn't have enough headroom. But for home use it's glorious. Maybe also worth considering that two tiny town amps in stereo can be really fun and, although it isn't the same as a big one going at its sweet spot, it can be breathtaking. (I tend to use the SFPR, Pro Jr, or Kim's Musicmaster Bass amp in a stereo configuration at home. I wish I'd help onto the SF Bronco Amp and Vibro Champ, but sold them to fund the Princeton and don't regret that upgrade).

Keep one or both of the Bassman and AC30, just in case. Worst case, they make great amp stands for the smaller stuff. I don't have experience with the IR Load boxes, but I'm certain they sound better than the Scholz PowerSoak etc.
I’ve got a 68 Princeton Reverb that I made a 12” baffle for. With an Eminence Swamp Thang in there, it DEFINITELY keeps up with a drummer. Like a little Twin, but a littlest more mids focused.