Greatest amps?

Make it loud here.
idiotbear

Greatest amps?

Post by idiotbear » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:45 pm

OK, so I'm going to make a case for the Marshall SilverJubilee Series.

And yeah, you guessed it, I have one: the baby of the family. A 2554 combo, in fact. I've never met an amp that comes close, and here's why:

1: It's all valve, natch. Hand wired, I think.
2: 100% beautiful tone. The only Marshall (apart from a REALLY good JCM 800 I once played through) to have a really useable clean channel.
3: That overdrive. Oh. My. God. Sweet, transparent, louder than Tad Doyle being humped by a rhino.
4: Switchable between 25 and 50 watts. Sounds nearly as sweet on 25 as 50. Handy.
5: It's simplicity itself. Input Gain / Output Gain / Lead Channel Gain / Treble / Mid / Bass / Presence.
6: So cool-looking. It's a Marshall, only silver!
7: My 2554's the loudest 50 watt amp I've ever heard. It's louder and sounds nicer than most 100W amps I've played through.
8: My 2554 and my Jaguar were made for each other. I know a lot of us offsetters play Fender amps, but I'm telling you - this is the one!

OK, ev-amp-elism over. Your turn.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Greatest amps?

Post by zhivago » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:23 pm

the best Marshall I've played through was an original plexi with a 4x12.....I plugged a 71 Les Paul and rocked out...we had a hotplate, of course, to keep the volume sane...it was stunning

I'm looking forward to eventualy using the Tremolux I got...I got a good feeling about this amp...I'm a Fender man really when it comes to amps :)
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:32 pm

I never truly felt like I ever found an amp I really loved until I got the Orange I have now (a '76 Overdrive 120 head). I can get it to do everything I ever want from an amp and it does it WELL. It definitely has the most usable master volume i've ever run across. I'm planning on buying another as soon as finances permit  :)  I want to snag another before they go sky high like everything else  >:(

Justin
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

therizzla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by therizzla » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm not going to claim that it's the BEST amp ever, but the 1961 Brownface Concert is a tone MONSTER!
It has the same transformers as the tweed Bassman and you can tell - strong low end and super punchy.  The tone falls between Blackface and Tweed and it just sings with those 4X10s.  No reverb, but that's what the outboard unit is for.  The Concert has the Harmonic Vibrato which many say to be the best, and I agree.
Best amp I have ever used and I've been luck enough to play a good number of classic amps (Though I have to admit, not many Marshalls, can't get into the British voice).
reverb.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:11 pm

I had a channel switching JCM800 that was the precurser to the Jubillee as my main amp for a few years. Good stuff for sure but they're not anywhere near all tube or hand wired.  They actually use clipping diodes in the circuit to get extra distortion and they're built on a PCB.  It's kinda like adding an overdrive pedal that reacts to the volume control.  I could never get a halfway decent clean tone from mine but then I never cared to play clean much when I was using it most.  And I especially LOVED that amp with my Rickenbacker. 

IMO the AC30 Top Boost is the greatest amp ever with a good plexi Marshall and the blackface Deluxe Reverb following close behind.  But then there aren't many guitar amps I don't like.  Make it loud with a little distortion and I'm right at home.