For all you Nels Cline freaks

Make it loud here.
Square King
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: For all you Nels Cline freaks

Post by Square King » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Jay wrote: And there aren't too many classic vintage amps that can be had for much less then 1k anymore...  won't be long before it's none.
There are plenty of classic, vintage tube amps for under a grand out there. They're just not well known. :D
"There needs to be a bloodcurdling scream to balance every caressing whisper, I guess." -  Nels Cline

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:39 pm

I think the Savage Macht 12s are an unbeatable deal as far as the boutique market goes.  You can find them used occasionally just a bit over $1k and a brand new one in your color of choice sets you back about $1500.  Those are freaking tone monsters and about the only boutique amp I would go for.  The Dearmond amps they are patterned after are easily $2,500 and up on the used market IF they come up at all.  Finally a boutique amp cheaper than the original they are patterned after  ;)

...and Nels gives them the thumbs up on his Amp Du Jour web page. 
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:58 am

Jay wrote:   And there aren't too many classic vintage amps that can be had for much less then 1k anymore...  won't be long before it's none.

Under 1K....Great bargains, IMO.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:20 am

Although, I agree with you Nolan, I think the keyword is classic, such as the 60s Marshalls and 50s and early 60s Fenders, and then of course the Vox amps, etc, etc. Those are the types. The ones that were really utilized by all the "greats". There are still some great bargains out there which is superb! :)

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:59 am

As far as I'm concerned, any amp that says SUPER and REVERB on it, made before 1972 is CLASSIC!

Also, anything blackface...

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:21 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote: As far as I'm concerned, any amp that says SUPER and REVERB on it, made before 1972 is CLASSIC!

Totally agree...  however the prices for ALL those are climbing rapidly.  My point is that there isn't a whole lot left out there that's a real bargain.  The silverface Fenders and a couple of the blackface piggy back amps aside (not including champs which are a bit small for gigging) what else are you going to get that's hand wired and solidly built for under a grand?  You can maybe point to the Silvertone's and Danelectro's or some of the less desirable vintage Gibson's or Gretch's however one has to keep in mind those things are typically built like crap and/or have an exotic circuit with exotic tubes that can make maintenance a friggen' nightmare.  There's a reason a member took a classic Gretsch to a tech and he refused to work on it.  My Silvertone's sound absolutely killer but it's barely a giggable amp due to the poor component/build quality.  And even they are going for $5-600 and up nowadays.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:21 am

To that point I have a vintage gretsch amp that isn't too bad to work on - it does have the tubes divided where some are hanging from the top and some from the bottom, but other than that, it's a pretty easy amp to service unlike a "classic" AC30  ;)  Of course it also has those 7591 tubes that aren't too easy to come by and the reissue tubes are supposedly poor sounding....and the reverb "tank" is a cardboard box, but otherwise, I would say it's pretty solidly built. 

...I must lead a charmed life - I got a silverface vibrolux for a tad over $500 on ebay less than 6 months ago.  It was beat up a bit, had a small hole in the front chassis and replaced speakers/tubes, but otherwise the circuit was untouched except for a cap job.
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:45 pm

Jay wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote: As far as I'm concerned, any amp that says SUPER and REVERB on it, made before 1972 is CLASSIC!

Totally agree...  however the prices for ALL those are climbing rapidly.  My point is that there isn't a whole lot left out there that's a real bargain.  The silverface Fenders and a couple of the blackface piggy back amps aside (not including champs which are a bit small for gigging) what else are you going to get that's hand wired and solidly built for under a grand?  You can maybe point to the Silvertone's and Danelectro's or some of the less desirable vintage Gibson's or Gretch's however one has to keep in mind those things are typically built like crap and/or have an exotic circuit with exotic tubes that can make maintenance a friggen' nightmare.  There's a reason a member took a classic Gretsch to a tech and he refused to work on it.  My Silvertone's sound absolutely killer but it's barely a giggable amp due to the poor component/build quality.  And even they are going for $5-600 and up nowadays.
Yep....I agree with all of the above. ^  ;)

My post was mostly about StevenO's claim that the above pictured amps aren't classic.

noirengineer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noirengineer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:05 pm

glimmertwin wrote:
zhivago wrote: I think that in general, most boutique amps have gone to silly levels price-wise  :-\

people just keep buying them though  ???
I have seen hundreds of bands in my day and I very very rarely have seen a boutique amp on stage(or practice for that matter)...

I wonder who owns all these boutique amps - probably Gideons because I have never met one of those either(Thanks, Bill Hicks!). 
I know lots of "Pop Country" bands have these types of amps.. their music still sucks..
barf.  i know hank is rolling in his grave btw.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:10 pm

noirengineer wrote:
glimmertwin wrote:
zhivago wrote: I think that in general, most boutique amps have gone to silly levels price-wise  :-\

people just keep buying them though  ???
I have seen hundreds of bands in my day and I very very rarely have seen a boutique amp on stage(or practice for that matter)...

I wonder who owns all these boutique amps - probably Gideons because I have never met one of those either(Thanks, Bill Hicks!). 
I know lots of "Pop Country" bands have these types of amps.. their music still sucks..
barf.  i know hank is rolling in his grave btw.
Yeah, and unfortunately, my bandmate has caught the Boutique amp fever.  :k 

He thinks he's Brad "Meedly meedly" Paisley.  :k :k :k :k

Fuck Brad Paisley and POP Country.

Square King
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Square King » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:28 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Yeah, and unfortunately, my bandmate has caught the Boutique amp fever.  :k 

But praise Brent Mason! I'd almost say the guy's the country Nels Cline. He's a session whore and knows his way around the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJHnkUKg_M
"There needs to be a bloodcurdling scream to balance every caressing whisper, I guess." -  Nels Cline

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Square King wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote: Yeah, and unfortunately, my bandmate has caught the Boutique amp fever.  :k 

But praise Brent Mason! I'd almost say the guy's the country Nels Cline. He's a session whore and knows his way around the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJHnkUKg_M
Brent Mason's okay, but IMO, Jerry Donahue is more like Nels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBkq8XXV ... re=related

:-* :-* :-*
My favorite Country player, after Jerry Reed

noirengineer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noirengineer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:32 am

is that the b-bender tele?  woah nice

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:35 am

noirengineer wrote: is that the b-bender tele?  woah nice
No, that's all in his fingers!  :o

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:18 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
Jay wrote:

Yep....I agree with all of the above. ^  ;)

My post was mostly about StevenO's claim that the above pictured amps aren't classic.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say that they weren't classic in any sense of the word, just more so that they aren't really the amps that these boutique builders are trying to recapture and improve upon. Know what I mean? Anyways, that's what I was getting from Jay's post... I guess I was wrong(?!?)

:) for all?