Make it loud here.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Super Reverb against the band

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 am

torchindy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 am
Thanks guys. Lots of good info here. I'll have to try the EQ pedal idea for sure. figure if I get a mxr 10-band or something I could at least turn down the frequencies that ARENT cutting through, thereby inadvertently boosting the mids.

The turning down thing sounds like a good idea too, if I could convince the other guys to do it. they were formerly in a hardcore band and used to practice with everything at 10 so there's probably some hearing loss issues or something. Also I'd be a bit worried that the super might sound thinner at a lower volume... Typical practice volume was around 4 on the dial which is right before it starts to break up on its own.

As for the klon pedal idea, would the ehx clone work? Do they come close enough?

I've got a line on a jcm800 head for a decent price, going to go try it out but I'd rather not spend a pile of money if I don't have to. I have always wanted one but there are still better things I could do with the money
fun fact. the advice i give young musicians is wear year protection live and during practice. when i give them examples, i usually tell them about roger miller from mission of burma. fun fact. when i seen burma, he was giving out ear plugs and saying "if you all love music, take these so you can enjoy it some other day" for those who dont know. roger miller ended up with really serious hearing damage and had to split up burma as a result. nowadays they have splash shields for the drums, his amps are usually in front of him, he wears ear plugs and rifle range ear protection. p.s. if you've never watched the documentary "this is not a photograph" do it. it's super interesting.

the soul food is a decent klone for the price. even if you get the klone, i still think an eq pedal is a good idea with it. EQ pedals can be great saviors some nights.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:05 am

torchindy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 am
As for the klon pedal idea, would the ehx clone work? Do they come close enough?
Definitely. I picked up a knockoff on ebay that looked pretty good for $40, new. Close enough, for sure. I'm not sure our moms wouldn't know the difference between it and a KTR, but maybe if one of us tried really hard, we could find subtle differences, hahaha

Not to undermine any of the other great suggestions, but if you have the means definitely give a KLONe a shot. You'll notice a massive difference in the presence of your Super in the mix. It seems to boost all the right frequencies when you run it as a boost (with the gain all the way down and the rest in and around noon).
Good luck!
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:13 pm

What exactly is 90’s style punk???

lunaticjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lunaticjaguar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:15 am

I just played a super reverb at a paid rehearsal space the other night, sounded great, until other people started playing... I instantly disappeared!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:58 am

TeenageShutdown! wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:13 pm
im guessing the skate punk stuff that was common on epitaph records at the time? stuff like bad religion, the offspring, pennywise, nofx?
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

torchindy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by torchindy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:38 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:58 am
TeenageShutdown! wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:13 pm
im guessing the skate punk stuff that was common on epitaph records at the time? stuff like bad religion, the offspring, pennywise, nofx?
Exactly. It's that point just after the old guard punk bands like the clash and the Ramones, but before emo and pop punk took over. I guess skate punk is a fairly interchangeable term

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:51 am

torchindy wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:38 am

Exactly. It's that point just after the old guard punk bands like the clash and the Ramones, but before emo and pop punk took over. I guess skate punk is a fairly interchangeable term
ok then, im going to give you some advice from someone who has been in that kinda band that also has a second guitar player. try a proco rat into your super reverb and tweek the filter control to a point where you can be heard. most times in that kinda music, 2 guitar players is not needed but ideal. i found going for a different sound to my guitar player (who used a similar setup to yours) helped a lot. i even used a similar amp in a fender twin. with the rat, you'll be able to pick your sonic space easier.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:49 pm

I have to run the treble on my vibrolux reverb higher than expected as volume goes up. I used to play alongside a Hammond/Leslie that was a big,dense sound even if it wasn’t THAT loud.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 am

If I was in a band and my amp wasn't loud enough, I think getting more pedals is not the solution at all. :mellow:

Most Fender amps, the louder they get, need to have the bass turned down a bit to avoid the muddiness. Keep that in mind. Having different amps is good for dynamics. Turning down amps is good for dynamics. Having some big "who can get the loudest" contest is a recipe for disaster. How many of you really like bands that still do that? I can't stand bands that do that. Part of this is because I'm old and shit, but more importantly, bands just sound like a bunch of hacks making noise. Fender Supers are really loud amps for just about anything. Telling the OP just to buy pedals? Come on. That doesn't seem very 'punk' to me, even if it's 90s Punk. If your base tone of Guitar-cord-amp isn't getting it done, you have an issue.

Have the amp checked out; make sure it's okay. Maybe you could get some better more efficient speakers for the amp too.

But seriously: TURN DOWN. Rearrange the room a bit.

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:41 am

Secretly rewire the 5150 cab and pull two power tubes?

(joking)

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:49 am

Two+ guitar bands take a lot of work for the guitarists to figure out where their individual sonic space is at. Especially if the two guitarists play unison parts. It took my guitar partner and myself a good couple of years or more to figure it out. And even though we've largely figured it out I keep messing with it and goofing things up. Hopefully your bandmates are cool with working on figuring this stuff out. No one should have to buy new stuff for a gig unless they want to.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 pm

Rule of Thumb. If you can't hear everyone clearly you're playing too loud. Same goes for everyone else.

sallikaan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sallikaan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:49 am

torchindy wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:05 pm

1. Pick up a jcm800 head or something. Been wanting one for a while anyway but now they're all over a thousand bucks

2. Maybe there is a pedal I can put on the super that pushes meds more than a tube screamer? Or something that makes it less weird and scooped and harsh? Or is the EQ of the super always going to defeat any mids a pedal tries to add

3. Other options?
well, just a short recap: if there's 4 people out loud reading different pages from a book, noone will hear what they're saying. so rather than ramping up your amp Watts, you guys have to get a small advice from a recording artist to fine tune your volume settings (who should be how loud?)

EQ is in any case the best pedal you can have after a tuner of course :jacked: so don't be shy, get one. I don't get the full connection between TS and EQ and mids though?
Give me the champ!

kalipigeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kalipigeon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:50 am

I second the Rat suggestion. Biyang makes an interesting clone called the mouse that uses the original circuit and has a switch to swap in LED, germanium, or no diodes to mimic different Rat pedals. The DS-8 or newer is where to look, though some early production ones had a wrong resistor that made them too dark (easily swapped out). Also, I use a Fulltone OCD along with the DS-8 when I want less compression and saturation.

I play in a 5 piece punk pop band with an Egnater Tweaker 88 on the Fender setting into a 2x12 against a Marshall Half Stack and a Crate Blue Voodoo half stack. I dont think I have to get much above 1/3 on the volume to drown everyone out with this setup.

You might want to look at the way your distortion and compression are affecting dynamics as well. In general, the more distorted tones have flatter dynamics and need more volume to be percieved. I tend to play a bit cleaner in a mix for this reason. Rolling off a bit of bass and turning up your mids will also help, especially at gig volumes.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:25 am

I'm with the guys talking about dynamics and volume really. I wouldn't go after a certain "magic" pedal that will make your band work. You can go to another room or another concert and all the acoustics will change and you might run into the same problem, or worse, the problem won't even be there without your magic pedal.

Before thinking about the mix or frequencies of your amps, go back to the basics. You are the lead guitarrist and you can't hear yourself, maybe that's not mixing, that's just volume.

Also think about rearranging the amps in the room. The position you are in relation to the amp makes HUGE difference in how you hear the sound. I wouldn't buy another amp because I can't hear my self in practice. Unless you just want an excuse to buy another amp lol in this case, just get the damn thing.

I don't think you need another pedal or amp.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)