Any love for Vox amps?

Make it loud here.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any love for Vox amps?

Post by somanytoys » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:15 am

I took a look on the net on these.

If this is a tube version (Vox showroom says they made both tube and ss versions during that time), $400 for both the head and cab seems like it would be a great deal, even if the head needs some work. I would think it would be worth way more than that once it’s repaired, if so it would be totally worth getting and having fixed.

I saw one head only for $400 (Reverb), and a head & cab package for $1200 (Guitar Center somewhere), for reference.

If this is a tube version, I think I would take the ride and check it out.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:28 am

I think it would be worth the ride to check out and access the damage, but it looks and sounds like it’s in rough shape.

It looks like it was stored for years in someone’s basement or barn. Those Weber replacement speakers were probably because the originals were too far gone to fix. The amp certainly will need recapping, but the transformer or something else could be shot too.

If it just needs some potentiometer cleaner and new capacitors, maybe some new tubes it would be worth it. Those caddies, when they still have the chrome, go for $400 alone.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 am

he clarified his posting:

1967 Vox Berkely Cab and Trolley with Weber speakers, Cab & Speakers in good shape, Trolley has Chrome peeling off, Berkely head needs to go too the doctors,Needs a overhaul $150 for the head.Cab is 350 Both $400. Red Ibanez SA $375 firm.Thanks show contact info
Please no texting.

I might head down this week...it's not a far drive (1/2 an hour or so...). I drive that far to get milk sometimes :)
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:07 am

Still no word on whether it’s the tube version?

It would seem like if the head needs that much work, it’s not solid state, although those do fail as well over time.

That’s not a bad drive (time) at all, I hope it’s something you end up liking, buying and getting fixed, and are really happy with.

Or at least can use for while, and then can make more than your investment back to get something that makes you even happier.
-David

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:20 pm

I mentioned a SS Cambridge combo a few posts back. My friend bought it from GC and took it home. It sounded pretty good to both our ears. However, the reverb seemed to only have one setting. He took it to an amp tech for an evaluation; it wasn't the tank, but the problem lay in the circuitry. The amp tech said it would be $275 -- $350 to repair, depending upon what he finds.

I guess this is just a little word of caution about SS amps.

I wish I had been listening better when he was explaining why it was going to be so expensive, but I was busy playing his late '50s hardtail strat -- I never knew they existed, let alone seen and played one.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:40 am

Tafarel wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:20 pm
I mentioned a SS Cambridge combo a few posts back. My friend bought it from GC and took it home. It sounded pretty good to both our ears. However, the reverb seemed to only have one setting. He took it to an amp tech for an evaluation; it wasn't the tank, but the problem lay in the circuitry. The amp tech said it would be $275 -- $350 to repair, depending upon what he finds.

I wish I had been listening better when he was explaining why it was going to be so expensive, but I was busy playing his late '50s hardtail strat -- I never knew they existed, let alone seen and played one.
Sorry it worked out that way.... Sell it. Get a Tube Amp... The AC10's or AC15's are great out of the box.. Not super expensive.. With a couple simple inexpensive mods can be fantastic... DIY easy to work on too....

Good luck

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:46 am

Larsongs wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:40 am
Tafarel wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Sorry it worked out that way.... Sell it. Get a Tube Amp... The AC10's or AC15's are great out of the box.. Not super expensive.. With a couple simple inexpensive mods can be fantastic... DIY easy to work on too....

Good luck
Yeah, he took the Cambridge back to GC for a full refund. He has a legit 1962 AC30, a 1991 AC30 TBR, a 2000s AC30 CC2x or something and an AC15 C1. He's a fanatic.
I just have an AC15 HW1x with Celestion Blues. It's enough for me.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:23 pm

The stock reverb tank in my AC15C1 was pretty meh, even full tilt. So when I bought a MOD outboard tube reverb (that I still have to put together) to use with my non-reverb amps, I decided to upgrade the reverb in the Vox, so it’s useable and not such a stark difference with the MOD. Which it still might be, since it’ll be tube (and a dwell knob) vs solid state, but less.

I don't know much about the stock model (although I still have it), but I do not recommend it. Vox cut a big corner using the Accutronics model that they used, it was almost non-existent, really. I was pretty underwhelmed by it.

I just changed it out with an Accutronics 8EB2C1B model, which is the same size, but has the 3 springs in-line instead of in a triangular pattern, and it’s a medium-dwell model.

It made a big, noticeable difference to the reverb. It isn’t all totally soaked & deep, like a larger model probably would give, but it’s a big improvement. Much more lush and a lot more dwell to it.

The hardest part was working with a screwdriver inside, being very careful not to touch the speaker or the tubes, because I only took off the bottom back panel to swap them.

I highly recommend this upgrade if your AC15C1 doesn’t have a great reverb. It’s about $20-25, and it’s a pretty easy swap - 4 Phillips head screws, and the rubber screw seats have to be exchanged, the new model didn’t come with them. You could go with an even bigger one for like surfy stuff, if that’s your thing, but this one is satisfying and the same size.

Hopefully I’m done with upgrading things on this amp. I understand selling price points and all that, but especially with these specific amps being “throwback” models (TV BC), with retro tolex and piping, I feel like they should have come off the line needing fewer upgrades to bring them up to snuff.

Not so much the Greenback speaker, it’s a very good speaker, and the Blue is expensive and low wattage, I get that. I just wanted a Blue in mine, and I’m glad I did it.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:59 pm

I have a Vox AC15CC1X with Celestion Alnico Blue. I don't know what Reverb & Trem is in it but I think it sounds as good as the Tube Reverb in my Twin... Only mod is JJ Tubes..

I also like the Reverb in my AC10C1 with Tung Sol Tubes & Weber DP10-P Speaker..

I have several other Amps but these are my main Go To Amps.. They sound great!

The total cost of upgrades for both Amps was less than $200.00..

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:09 pm

I find the trem is good on the AC15, even tho it & the reverb are both likely solid state. For some reason the reverb really sucked, but this one is much better.

No reverb or trem on the AC4C1 TV BC, it’s getting pedal reverb and trem.

The one you have must be one of their top tier models, where they didn’t cut corners, except for the tubes. The Blue speaker I upgraded to cost me about $200 alone, but I use the Greenback that came in it in an AC4TV VT12 cab.

I’m really happy with this amp now, I’m really glad I did the upgrades.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:34 am

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:09 pm
I find the trem is good on the AC15, even tho it & the reverb are both likely solid state. For some reason the reverb really sucked, but this one is much better.

No reverb or trem on the AC4C1 TV BC, it’s getting pedal reverb and trem.

The one you have must be one of their top tier models, where they didn’t cut corners, except for the tubes. The Blue speaker I upgraded to cost me about $200 alone, but I use the Greenback that came in it in an AC4TV VT12 cab.

I’m really happy with this amp now, I’m really glad I did the upgrades.

My AC15CC1X is a Custom Classic Series. It came with the Celestion Alnico Blue.. It has always sounded great. I never thought about changing the Tubes until I got the AC10C1. I bought the JJ's & Tung Sol's for the latter..

I thought I'd give them a try in the AC15CC1X & it sounded even better.....

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:05 am

On the subject of pedal tremolo & vibrato, you can't go wrong with the Cooltron VibraVox, made by Vox. They can be found for a very decent price on eBay/Reverb & are based around the original Trem / Vibe circuit found in vintage AC30s. They're tube driven & very solidly built.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:54 am

Damn, that’s pretty cool. Didn’t know that existed, thanks for that info.

I have other pedals that do similar things, like the Fulltone Supa Trem and Fromel Seraphim, but I like that they’re both in one pedal and it’s tube driven. And it seems like it’s pretty versatile in the sounds and 2 choices.

It would be nice if it were stereo, but it’s still very cool. And they’re aren’t very expensive. This may be perfect for the AC4C1, and a nice reverb...

Edit: I bought one, seemed too nice not to, especially for the price. And perfect for this application.

I’m curious to see if this sounds as good as I think it will, especially with the right reverb pedal, on the AC4C1. They may well end up being dedicated to that amp.
-David

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:32 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:54 am
I’m curious to see if this sounds as good as I think it will, especially with the right reverb pedal, on the AC4C1. They may well end up being dedicated to that amp.
I love mine! It's a very warm, organic sounding pedal & the feature that lets you ramp one speed into another is really cool.

As to reverb, I ended up going down the DIY route & built this...

It sounds fucking incredible & has put any remaining reverb GAS to bed, permanently.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:08 pm

I think I’m going to love mine as well. With the tube, it may sound even better than the tank I just replaced on my AC15C1, since it’s solid state.

What brand is your kit that you built? That looks really nice.

I’m in the middle of building a MOD The Wave tube reverb that I just ordered. I just got to a point that I realized that they shorted some washers and nuts, and have to stop until I get those few things I need from them. I could try a hardware store, I guess, and it’s kind of nitpicky, but it’s a kit and it should include everything you need - maybe a couple extras of cheap things like screws and washers and nuts.

It would also be nice if they separated the screws, washers & nuts by size/category into their own bags. Sorting through the giant lot of those from a single bag has definitely been the biggest pain in the ass so far.
Last edited by somanytoys on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David