Custom Molded Earplugs

Make it loud here.
DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Custom Molded Earplugs

Post by DeathJag » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:16 pm

Hey y’all I figure there must be some users who have custom molded earplugs, and atm I don’t need IEMs. If anyone has experience or preferences please share.

The reason is that I just realized why my ear canals are not shaped “normally” and that’s why they always hurt - because to get the seal I have to JAM them in and eventually my ear canals get pretty sensitive. And it also explains how certain earplugs (more comfy kind) magically worm their way out of my ears in the middle of songs, breaking the seal. (Suddenly, I become aware that pain is happening and that’s how I know the seal broke.)

So I’m ready to never have these problems again. I realize one must clean this type of earplug to avoid infection. I found these brands in a search. I’m tending toward the Westones...

Eartune Live $149

https://eartune.com/products/eartune-live

Etymotic $?

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/custom-fit

EarzOn $? (They make you ask for a quote)

Protectear - $?
They have a billion earplugs that all look the same, the DB Blockers.
This is also the company who I contacted in December and have been *completely* blown off since. Dude kept promising to come take my molds and changed plans several times and never told me. Honestly, that guy has strung me along and I’d love to either a) out him to his boss and make him come take my molds; or b) not use the company.

https://www.protectear.com/us/products/db-blocker/

Earpeace - $225

https://www.earpeace.com/products/custom-ear-plugs

Westone Style ES49 Custom Musicians Ear Plugs With ER Filters - $199

https://www.earplugstore.com/westone-style-49.html

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom Molded Earplugs

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:25 pm

I use cheapies called Radians that you mold yourself.

They’re about $10. I’ve used the same pair over 4 years and they’re still going strong.

They don’t have any fancy filtering of course, but I find that with the better fit I get more “feedback” of my voice when singing and other than whatever shortcomings my singing already has there are no pitch issues.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:37 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:25 pm

They’re about $10. I’ve used the same pair over 4 years and they’re still going strong.

They don’t have any fancy filtering of course, but I find that with the better fit I get more “feedback” of my voice when singing and other than whatever shortcomings my singing already has there are no pitch issues.
Cool! I saw those and also the Decibullz. I suppose they’re worth a try, but after thirty years of bad fits I want to jump right to the fancy stuff. But maybe nowadays there’s no need? I suppose in the short run there’s no way to lose by trying either. Thanks!

Dan

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:11 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:37 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Cool! I saw those and also the Decibullz. I suppose they’re worth a try, but after thirty years of bad fits I want to jump right to the fancy stuff. But maybe nowadays there’s no need? I suppose in the short run there’s no way to lose by trying either. Thanks!

Dan
I hear ya (thanks to wearing earplugs for decades). If they turn out to be less than ideal it’s a cheap experiment.

They give you a lot of material to work with and a lot ends up in the outer ear in the little nooks and crannies. That really helps hold them in.

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:07 am

I lucked out and my employer covered the cost of my molded ear plugs. If you are fortunate enough to have a health plan through work it's worth a look just in case.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:39 am

My god. This was before my tinnitus got so bad that I finally noticed it. Yeah I’m getting Westones now so it won’t get any worse. But I needed these a year ago, ten years would have been ideal. I didn’t even remember this thread because it’s been so hard to concentrate with this 14500 Hz tone all over everything.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:11 am

Damn. Glad you got some good plugs, and that insurance paid, but sorry to hear that you have tinnitus. I hope it subsides, but at least it shouldn’t get any worse anymore.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 pm

huge huge fan of westone. pricey, but I depend on their filters for my job in live audio.

however, i would only trust an audiologist to take my molds. too much can go wrong otherwise.

CAVEAT: if you're the kind of person whose weight fluctuates like me, your canal might change shape over time. my audiologist warned me about this and sure enough, my left ear stopped sealing after 2 years.

that said, they're awesome. best investments i've made for my life and career.