Make it loud here.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What are y'all's dream amps?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:45 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:53 am
Lots of Bassman love here. Can’t say I miss mine much. Too much clean headroom.
the way i set up my 50 is i do the levels with my loudest guitar (my jagmaster) so everything else is cleaner. the idea is the bassman is set so it breaks up a little (kinda crunchy) for the more aggressive songs but everything is lower for the cleaner songs.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:27 pm

My old transition Silverface bassman was great with the channels jumped, as is my Selmer. Something about those circuits works really well, just wished they had reverb and trem. :D

My dream amp was a blond tremolux for the Pops Staples/Bo Diddley/Jason Spaceman trem+distortion thing, but I'd also like to broaden that list to include one of the old Magnatones with Harmonic Vibrato too. :? :w00t: :-*

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:27 am

if there was a 50 watt Vox Pathfinder 1x12 made with purple suede and paisley grill

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:38 am

Igorilla wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:08 am
Veitchy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:08 pm
DeathJag wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:19 pm
a 6g6-B Bassman (ideally a ‘62)
I'm pretty sure Brian Setzer is meant to have ALL of those...
No, he doesn't! I have one of them ;D

Back to topic. My dream amp is a Ampeg V4. I used to play in a hardcore band as a teenager and we where allowed to practice in the rehearsal room owned by the uncle of a bandmate and could use his uncle's equipment. There was a V4 with a matching cab I played every practice. What a massive sound! What a beast of an amp!

That said, I'll hardly ever buy a V4 due to the weight and insane volume. But some smaller lower power vintage Ampeg like V2 is very tempting... :?
My dream amp is also a V4 but I have owned two separate V4s already. I want one that actually holds up over time and doesn't turn into a heaping pile of worthless unsalvageable trash. The V4 is no joke, I believe, the perfect amp. It's loud as all hell, clean, but also breaks up at the right volume just enough...sounds full and not overtly bright but not too dark...takes pedals perfectly. I was told both times I bought one that it would last forever because "THEY WERE 70s WORKHORSE AMPS FOR TOURING BANDS" ....LOL but I did fucking blow two of them up completely. The second one I had was worked on by an amp tech here in East TN that I would never never recommend and he ended up ruining it. I got it back from him and turned it on and it caught on fire. Literally inside the amp you could see fire.

There are other amps for sure that I would love to have - Orange OR120, Original Blackface Fender Twin, vintage Marshall plexi...but the V4....what an amp!

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:55 am

super reverb for stage
tweed harvard for home
maybe a jtm45 for a nice change

but i'm pretty happy with my vibrolux as a all-rounder

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:17 am

tune_link wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:38 am
Igorilla wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:08 am
Veitchy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:08 pm

I'm pretty sure Brian Setzer is meant to have ALL of those...
No, he doesn't! I have one of them ;D

Back to topic. My dream amp is a Ampeg V4. I used to play in a hardcore band as a teenager and we where allowed to practice in the rehearsal room owned by the uncle of a bandmate and could use his uncle's equipment. There was a V4 with a matching cab I played every practice. What a massive sound! What a beast of an amp!

That said, I'll hardly ever buy a V4 due to the weight and insane volume. But some smaller lower power vintage Ampeg like V2 is very tempting... :?
My dream amp is also a V4 but I have owned two separate V4s already. I want one that actually holds up over time and doesn't turn into a heaping pile of worthless unsalvageable trash. The V4 is no joke, I believe, the perfect amp. It's loud as all hell, clean, but also breaks up at the right volume just enough...sounds full and not overtly bright but not too dark...takes pedals perfectly. I was told both times I bought one that it would last forever because "THEY WERE 70s WORKHORSE AMPS FOR TOURING BANDS" ....LOL but I did fucking blow two of them up completely. The second one I had was worked on by an amp tech here in East TN that I would never never recommend and he ended up ruining it. I got it back from him and turned it on and it caught on fire. Literally inside the amp you could see fire.

There are other amps for sure that I would love to have - Orange OR120, Original Blackface Fender Twin, vintage Marshall plexi...but the V4....what an amp!
Oh, a catastrophe. I mean both is just a total disaster, broken V4s and the incompetent tech.

crianlarich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crianlarich » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:14 pm

Disaster summed up in "incompetech" (self chosen nick-name of Kevin McLeod, who's been ruining all values and standards in music publiching for too long)
Pop is the most wonderful music – as long as it's played with three basses, a string section, and two french horns going "Vroop-Vrooo".

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SadFuzz » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:46 pm

I"m pretty happy with my current amp but i'd love a head/cab setup, maybe a Traynor Reverb Master w/Marshall 4x10
icerinkband.bandcamp.com

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:02 pm

dinosaurkale-> wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:27 am
if there was a 50 watt Vox Pathfinder 1x12 made with purple suede and paisley grill
+100 on the 50 watt pathfinder 112 and +another 25 for the purple suede and paisley.
This is an excellent rectangle

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:42 pm

I have Magnatone M15A I really like. The dream amp for me would this thing separated into a head & cab plus a preamp out jack. As a combo this thing is bigger than it needs to be.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:56 am

tune_link wrote:
The V4 is no joke, I believe, the perfect amp. It's loud as all hell, clean, but also breaks up at the right volume just enough...sounds full and not overtly bright but not too dark...takes pedals perfectly. I was told both times I bought one that it would last forever because "THEY WERE 70s WORKHORSE AMPS FOR TOURING BANDS" ....LOL but I did fucking blow two of them up completely.
I played drums in a punk band with a dude that had a V4 and the matching 4x12. He had no car during my tenure in the band so I had to help him carry that thing around. I hated it. It sounded great and was everything you say it was. OK, I didn't hate the amp, I really hated the speaker cabinet. 100+ lbs. and the handles were broken and there were no casters. One night after a show I was supposed to take him and the amp back to his place but he dogged me and left the show with someone else. So I took his amp home and left it by his front door. Some time between when I dropped it off and when he finally got home it stormed. The amp was completely soaked. He set it out in the yard for a day or two in the sun to dry out. Next week at practice he plugged it in and it worked just fine. Much to my chagrin, since that meant I'd have to keep carrying it around for him.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:09 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:56 am
tune_link wrote:
The V4 is no joke, I believe, the perfect amp. It's loud as all hell, clean, but also breaks up at the right volume just enough...sounds full and not overtly bright but not too dark...takes pedals perfectly. I was told both times I bought one that it would last forever because "THEY WERE 70s WORKHORSE AMPS FOR TOURING BANDS" ....LOL but I did fucking blow two of them up completely.
I played drums in a punk band with a dude that had a V4 and the matching 4x12. He had no car during my tenure in the band so I had to help him carry that thing around. I hated it. It sounded great and was everything you say it was. OK, I didn't hate the amp, I really hated the speaker cabinet. 100+ lbs. and the handles were broken and there were no casters. One night after a show I was supposed to take him and the amp back to his place but he dogged me and left the show with someone else. So I took his amp home and left it by his front door. Some time between when I dropped it off and when he finally got home it stormed. The amp was completely soaked. He set it out in the yard for a day or two in the sun to dry out. Next week at practice he plugged it in and it worked just fine. Much to my chagrin, since that meant I'd have to keep carrying it around for him.
Nice to hear the band weathered the storm as well as the amp.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:56 am
tune_link wrote:
Can confirm the difficulty of using this setup. I STILL use the cab from my V4 with my current Orange Rockerverb 100. It's such a good cab that the guy I bought the amp from offered to buy it back from me recently to which I said "hell no" hahahah. But it weighs a motherfucking ton, the handles on mine are also broken (I mean how could they not be) AND the castors on mine are also broken (I recently bought a small collapsible hand truck to use which has been helpful). Yeah it definitely feels insane lugging it around. The alternative for me is taking my Fender Twin and it is in that same weight class. One day when I'm not trying to hit Kevin Shields levels of volume I may have to consider some other options... :D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:54 am

I had a V4 for a while. It replaced a solid state Ampeg 4x12 combo I had (!)

Cool amp for sure, but was like having a drag racer when all I really needed was a Honda Civic.

Whenever amp heads talk about being able to crank their amps into 4x12 speaker cabinets I always wonder what their practice/band situation is/was. I could NEVER EVER crank amps. Fender Super reverbs, Vibroluxes, 2x12 Combos, and just about anything.

After typing this I realize there was one Amp that couldn't get loud enough, a smallish 1x12 Mesa Boogie combo. It was meant to quickly get into overdrive, but I've never played a style that really suits that sort of thing. I just need a nice clean sound at a reasonable volume.

howdo3313
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by howdo3313 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:16 am

Sound City L100
Vox Conqueror

...less so, but still pretty dreamy...
Laney Supergroup
Marshall Major & Super PA
What a doodle doo, in a town full of heroes and villains