What are y'all's dream amps?

Make it loud here.
postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What are y'all's dream amps?

Post by postchrist » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:54 pm

if i could push a magic button i’d have a mid-60s princeton, ampeg b-15, a vox v-5 student, my musicmaster bass amp, and a vibro champ - maybe also housed in a musicmaster bass cabinet. that i think would do me for life.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:16 pm

I got it! 1961 Fender Showman. 15 inch JBL Speaker+tone ring. Had a vintage blonde reverb unit but the Surfy Bear is better so I sold it.

I always wanted a 1962 Pro... Got it... Wasn't really into it. Sold it.

I also wanted a Vibro Champ... Got it... Sold it.

I seem to like bigger amps. like my Showman. I have a blackface Super Reverb, and a hidden secret: Fender Studio Bass Amp. Converted it to a head and cab and run it through another JBL tone ring cabinet. As a bassists, and guitarist - the Showman and Studio Bass Amp sounds great with either guitar, bass, or bass vi. I tell everyone who will listen to me to pick up those cheap Studio Bass Amps. Rock it as is (size of super reverb) or buy a mojotone head and dump the head and use whatever speaker you want. It will handle anything. Keys, bass, guitar, bass vi, vocals - I've ran it all through that amp. The active built in EQ is also super useful.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:14 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:16 pm
I got it! 1961 Fender Showman. 15 inch JBL Speaker+tone ring. Had a vintage blonde reverb unit but the Surfy Bear is better so I sold it.

I seem to like bigger amps. like my Showman. I have a blackface Super Reverb, and a hidden secret: Fender Studio Bass Amp. Converted it to a head and cab and run it through another JBL tone ring cabinet. As a bassists, and guitarist - the Showman and Studio Bass Amp sounds great with either guitar, bass, or bass vi. I tell everyone who will listen to me to pick up those cheap Studio Bass Amps. Rock it as is (size of super reverb) or buy a mojotone head and dump the head and use whatever speaker you want. It will handle anything. Keys, bass, guitar, bass vi, vocals - I've ran it all through that amp. The active built in EQ is also super useful.
My nephew did pretty much this same thing with his Studio Bass Amp. Too bad he's such a sh*tty guitarist that no amount of 'magical tone' is going to make him sound any better. I've asked him many times if he wants to sell it, but he won't because it's LOUD.

Eejit.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:33 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:16 pm

Good taste for sure! ;-)
I'm a sucker for 15" speakers for guitar too - sadly my K130 broke a week or so after buying it...for now a Celestion Fullback is in its stead - and what ever eminence speakers were in my Bassman cab when I bought it... also yes, the Surfy Bear is great! Love my DIY kit!
A good friend (and bassist from my old band) got himself a Studio Bass Head a year or two ago - and he seems to really love it! It only wants to see 8 Ohm load which is a bit of a pain in the ass for him (as a bassist) - but this might be another reason why he might (one day) sell or trade his Bassman 100 to me! :-)

lamp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lamp » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:08 pm

lamp wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:06 pm
I had my dream amp, and sold it, have regretted it ever since...but we had just moved house and needed a new window and some carpets.
1964 Bassman head, AA864 circuit :fp: :'(
After all that regret, managed to rectify the situation last week ;D

https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... 0&t=117541

Vendetagainst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vendetagainst » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:39 pm

lamp wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:08 pm
lamp wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:06 pm
I had my dream amp, and sold it, have regretted it ever since...but we had just moved house and needed a new window and some carpets.
1964 Bassman head, AA864 circuit :fp: :'(
After all that regret, managed to rectify the situation last week ;D

https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... 0&t=117541
Damn, nice! That looks awesome, I really want a mid 60s Bassman. I bet that sounds sick!

lamp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lamp » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:54 pm

Thanks! Yeah it sounds awesome, I’m really pleased!

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:50 pm

It's a stereo 2x12 half-stack situation for me, and I already have half ;D

Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40 with a DV Mark Neoclassic 2x12 (already owned)
H&K Black Spirit 200 with another Neoclassic 2x12 (in the books for sometime in the future)

Killer amps, super versatile, tiny and lightweight, actually good effects, MIDI switching for presets but also to toggle effects and boost as well as change channels (either/or, I keep mine in channels+effects switching). The DV Mark cab weighs 27lbs but is genuinely louder, fuller, and clearer than the Carvin 2x12 I have that is twice the weight and like 50% bigger by volume, and even with said stereo rig, I could pack an entire gig's worth of gear into a backpack, one of those 2 guitar Mono bags, and a cabinet in each hand.
Practicality aside though, the H&K stuff has this really unique voicing with a ton of high- and low-end extension without being too bassy or trebly. It's also a really nice blend of being super clear under gain, having a lot of glue to chords (without everything mushing together), and being crunchy and percussive enough for rhythm while keeping this sheen and smoothness that's really nice for leads - basically the perfect amp for anything heavy that you still want lots of detail on for big chords or faster single-note lines.
The only downside on the Grandmeister is it's 4xEL84 running hot at 40w so it goes through tubes pretty fast, but I'll toss some 6BQ1s in there (pin-compatible Russian military tubes made for jets and subs) next time I retube it and it'll probably last me ages. The Black Spirit is basically the same amp but solid-state, so it'll be a really nice complement tonally - it's a bit darker to my ear, has more headroom, and has a couple of extra knobs to twiddle to make it a nice big-sounding stereo rig.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 pm

postchrist wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:54 pm
if i could push a magic button i’d have a mid-60s princeton, ampeg b-15, a vox v-5 student, my musicmaster bass amp, and a vibro champ - maybe also housed in a musicmaster bass cabinet. that i think would do me for life.
Almost bought an old b15 back in the day. Sounded awesome. Regrets!

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johno » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:21 pm

I have my dream amp
Mesa Boogie Trem-o-Verb

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Johno wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:21 pm
I have my dream amp
Mesa Boogie Trem-o-Verb
Man, those things are sweet. I spent years not giving Boogies a second thought as I just assumed they were metal/hi-gain amplifiers, plus I get wary when I see too many knobs. After actually hearing what they sound like, plus the versatility and control you get out of all those knobs, they're super interesting amps. If I could pick up one of those King Snake Santana reissues I reckon I'd be done for a good while.

They're really well thought out amplifiers.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:33 am

Veitchy wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:14 pm
Johno wrote:
I have my dream amp
Mesa Boogie Trem-o-Verb
Man, those things are sweet. I spent years not giving Boogies a second thought as I just assumed they were metal/hi-gain amplifiers, plus I get wary when I see too many knobs. After actually hearing what they sound like, plus the versatility and control you get out of all those knobs, they're super interesting amps. If I could pick up one of those King Snake Santana reissues I reckon I'd be done for a good while.

A Single Rec is still in my wishlist even though I'd never really use it, just because the clean sounds on those things is uncanny - you really don't expect a Recto-anything to get that kind of tone.

SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:49 am

I've always wanted a Soldano SLO. The SLO30 is pretty tempting.

papa_hotel_delta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by papa_hotel_delta » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:59 pm

Carr Mercury V

. . .but really, I've owned a lot of dream amps-Tweed Champ, Brown Pro, BF Twin, Reverb Rocket, and I'm really really happy playing through my cheapish modeler for 6 months now.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:40 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:33 am
Veitchy wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:14 pm
Johno wrote:
I have my dream amp
Mesa Boogie Trem-o-Verb

A Single Rec is still in my wishlist even though I'd never really use it, just because the clean sounds on those things is uncanny - you really don't expect a Recto-anything to get that kind of tone.
Funny you should mention that. Lindsay Buckingham uses/d a Recto for his Rick Turners in his live rig because of the huge cleans. Considering Justin Hawkins used to run a similar rig it's the last application I would have thought to see them in.