Make it loud here.
hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommend Me An Amp.

Post by hexes » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:08 am

If those are problems you'd have, it sounds like the OP needs a DRRI....... Not too big, not too small, good headroom... good Cleans... Plenty loud... Works very well Mic'd...
in my venues (800 seat, 1700 seat, outdoor amphitheater) a deluxe reverb is THE MOST requested backline guitar amplifier. and on some occasions, it's too loud and beams front rows in the face, overpowering my front fill speakers.

i don't love the tone of them for my playing, but everyone uses them and sounds great.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:15 pm

hexes wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Larsongs wrote:

If those are problems you'd have, it sounds like the OP needs a DRRI....... Not too big, not too small, good headroom... good Cleans... Plenty loud... Works very well Mic'd...
in my venues (800 seat, 1700 seat, outdoor amphitheater) a deluxe reverb is THE MOST requested backline guitar amplifier. and on some occasions, it's too loud and beams front rows in the face, overpowering my front fill speakers.

i don't love the tone of them for my playing, but everyone uses them and sounds great.
This is pretty helpful to know. I think I'm still pretty far out from a decision however, as now I'm exploring Marshall options. I didn't realize how much I liked they're clean tones. Thanks for the $.02!
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 pm

I cannot recommend the DRRI enough. Do what was mentioned above and you'll have a great sounding amp with nice headroom.
Send me western swing vids

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:04 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:15 pm
hexes wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Larsongs wrote:

This is pretty helpful to know. I think I'm still pretty far out from a decision however, as now I'm exploring Marshall options. I didn't realize how much I liked they're clean tones. Thanks for the $.02!

When I first got my 65 DRRI I didn't like its sound... I would play all my other Amps & avoid the DRRI... One time I accidentally left it on for about 15 hours or so by accident. I thought for sure I might have ruined something. Just the opposite.. I plugged a Guitar into it & it sounded better... I started playing it more.. After a good break in period it sounds quite good.. About. 100 hours or so. And it's completely Stock.. I know with better Tubes it will sound even better.. I'm not going to do any more than that.. Although it would sound even better with Mercury Magnetic Transformer, more correct vintage type Speaker etc... it doesn't need it as it already has a good sound...

They're priced right & they're bullet proof.. Available everywhere, Parts are easy to get & if it gets stolen it's fast & easy to replace..

I can't remember the last time I played my Marshall? I should just to see how I like it now....

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:04 pm
And it's completely Stock.. I know with better Tubes it will sound even better.. I'm not going to do any more than that.. Although it would sound even better with Mercury Magnetic Transformer, more correct vintage type Speaker etc... it doesn't need it as it already has a good sound...

They're priced right & they're bullet proof.. Available everywhere, Parts are easy to get & if it gets stolen it's fast & easy to replace..

I can't remember the last time I played my Marshall? I should just to see how I like it now....
just curious, what about the mercury magnetics do you like? to swap the PT alone is an extra $200. to do the pt, ot, and choke is over $450.

A speaker upgrade to me makes the most sense, as you can kinda tailor those to your playing.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:26 am

hexes wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 pm
Larsongs wrote:
And it's completely Stock.. I know with better Tubes it will sound even better.. I'm not going to do any more than that.. Although it would sound even better with Mercury Magnetic Transformer, more correct vintage type Speaker etc... it doesn't need it as it already has a good sound...

just curious, what about the mercury magnetics do you like? to swap the PT alone is an extra $200. to do the pt, ot, and choke is over $450.

A speaker upgrade to me makes the most sense, as you can kinda tailor those to your playing.
Sorry for not being more clear.. I was thinking about doing the Merc Transformer, Choke, Speaker etc. But, after a good break in don't feel the need to.. Now it sounds good.. The only thing I might do is upgrade the Tubes at some point.. The 65 DRRI's are great Amps!

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:28 am

Larsongs wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:26 am
Sorry for not being more clear.. I was thinking about doing the Merc Transformer, Choke, Speaker etc. But, after a good break in don't feel the need to.. Now it sounds good.. The only thing I might do is upgrade the Tubes at some point.. The 65 DRRI's are great Amps!
The DRRI is 6L6, right? I'd see if you can find some pin-compatible and electrically-compatible NOS Russian military tubes - I picked up some NOS Russian EL84s (and when they die I'm going to 6BQ1s) for my Grandmeister, and they not only sound basically the same with the same output -- pretty modern-styled amp, not that sensitive to tube changes, so that's a good thing -- but they run a good couple degrees cooler which helps with not burning my hand when the amp is all metal and tiny.

Cornelius Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Cornelius Plum » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:34 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:28 am
Larsongs wrote:
The DRRI is 6L6, right? I'd see if you can find some pin-compatible and electrically-compatible NOS Russian military tubes - I picked up some NOS Russian EL84s (and when they die I'm going to 6BQ1s) for my Grandmeister, and they not only sound basically the same with the same output -- pretty modern-styled amp, not that sensitive to tube changes, so that's a good thing -- but they run a good couple degrees cooler which helps with not burning my hand when the amp is all metal and tiny.
The DRRI is 6V6, not 6L6, but you can run 6L6s in them. However, you'll need a tech who knows what he's doing to rebias the amp for 6L6s, and maybe do a few extra things if necessary, like replace the filter caps and the tube rectifier with a solid state rectifier. Personally, I think it's too much trouble for little reward.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:25 am

Larsongs wrote:

When I first got my 65 DRRI I didn't like its sound... I would play all my other Amps & avoid the DRRI... One time I accidentally left it on for about 15 hours or so by accident. I thought for sure I might have ruined something. Just the opposite.. I plugged a Guitar into it & it sounded better... I started playing it more.. After a good break in period it sounds quite good.. About. 100 hours or so. And it's completely Stock.. I know with better Tubes it will sound even better.. I'm not going to do any more than that..
If forgetting to turn off your tube amp ages it like wine then my amp is a rarified vintage at this point.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:54 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:25 am
Larsongs wrote:

When I first got my 65 DRRI I didn't like its sound... I would play all my other Amps & avoid the DRRI... One time I accidentally left it on for about 15 hours or so by accident. I thought for sure I might have ruined something. Just the opposite.. I plugged a Guitar into it & it sounded better... I started playing it more.. After a good break in period it sounds quite good.. About. 100 hours or so. And it's completely Stock.. I know with better Tubes it will sound even better.. I'm not going to do any more than that..
If forgetting to turn off your tube amp ages it like wine then my amp is a rarified vintage at this point.
;D LMAO right now on that one.. I resemble your remark... I don't know if it does or doesn't.. I've heard guys play hours of live recorded music with the Amp on to help break them in... Don't know if it works... But, I do know. Playing a new Amp for 100 hours or so seems to break them in.... Not all 100 hours at the same time though... LOL...

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Larsongs wrote:

oh, gotcha! full disclosure, I've been building amps for myself and have yet to make anything with mercury iron purely due to cost. Curious about opinions.

BarnyardCoral
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BarnyardCoral » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:52 am

hexes wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:18 pm
Larsongs wrote:

oh, gotcha! full disclosure, I've been building amps for myself and have yet to make anything with mercury iron purely due to cost. Curious about opinions.
I wish I knew enough to give you an opinion myself, but having followed some amp builder forums and threads, overtime it seems that Mercury magnetics makes great products but they're overpriced compared to some of the other options, which can often sound better than the MM transformers depending on the amp. There's a reason why many amp builders, who are often known for sparing no expense, don't necessarily use MM transformers.
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...
*Scheckenbacker on TGP

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:46 pm

If you’re interested in Marshall at all, and don’t mind an Asian-made amp, i reckon the Origin series are pretty damn good value. The clean tones may surprise you.

The 50w version is switchable to 10w or 5w, giving it great versatility for home or stage use:
https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/pro ... /origin50c

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:07 am

The Quilter option through a 115 cab just keeps leaping out at me as a graceful solution. For that matter, a Tech 21 trademark may be a good option. It really does a great job faking tubes, sounds good, has reverb, is well within your budget, is tonally versatile, and sounds good at lower volumes, too.

Tubes ever going away seems like a remote possibility, guitarists are too stuck in their ways to let that ever happen. There will always be a tube amp for you. So says this solid state evangelist.
This is an excellent rectangle

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:29 pm

Dude in my area on FB is selling a 67 bandmaster rehoused in a 1×12" combo (looks like a deluxe). Celestion 4 ohm speaker.
Asking 700.

Is this as interesting a deal as I think it is?