PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: School me on Tweeds

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:52 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:31 pm
wproffitt wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:26 pm
What is your price range? How much does it matter that it says “Fender” on the front? I’m sure you could get a 5e3 clone built or modded to Edge specs for way less than 2K
No price range at the moment, I’m currently building a guitar but am already planning my next venture being a quality amp purchase. So for now I’m in the early tire kicking phase. I really just want the most quality, versatile tube amp in a smallish package. I like the quality and price points of fenders blackface reissues, but I don’t want the blackface sound. I do cringe at spending more than $1500 on an amp. It just depends, ya know.
Are you looking for a head or a combo? There are lots of ways to build a proper, quality amp for less than $1500. I charge less than that for a ~50 watt head, and that's all hand-wired and custom built.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:51 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:52 am
Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:31 pm
wproffitt wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:26 pm
What is your price range? How much does it matter that it says “Fender” on the front? I’m sure you could get a 5e3 clone built or modded to Edge specs for way less than 2K
No price range at the moment, I’m currently building a guitar but am already planning my next venture being a quality amp purchase. So for now I’m in the early tire kicking phase. I really just want the most quality, versatile tube amp in a smallish package. I like the quality and price points of fenders blackface reissues, but I don’t want the blackface sound. I do cringe at spending more than $1500 on an amp. It just depends, ya know.
Are you looking for a head or a combo? There are lots of ways to build a proper, quality amp for less than $1500. I charge less than that for a ~50 watt head, and that's all hand-wired and custom built.
I’m a combo guy.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:43 pm

I've got a 5F6A Bassman, a 57 Twin RI, and a 5E3 clone. They're all different in their own way but are still in the same tonal ballpark. The big thing I guess is that they're much more mid focused than BF style amps. What you're going to want in an OD pedal is something that's really transparent. That means stay away from anything that's basically a Tubescreamer. You dont want a mid hump pedal in front of a naturally mid humped amp.

However the wonderful beauty of a Tweed is how well it cuts through a mix. I've never had any trouble hearing myself in a full band mix and I don't have to be super loud. Your guitar sounds very present and clear.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:43 pm
I've got a 5F6A Bassman, a 57 Twin RI, and a 5E3 clone. They're all different in their own way but are still in the same tonal ballpark. The big thing I guess is that they're much more mid focused than BF style amps. What you're going to want in an OD pedal is something that's really transparent. That means stay away from anything that's basically a Tubescreamer. You dont want a mid hump pedal in front of a naturally mid humped amp.

However the wonderful beauty of a Tweed is how well it cuts through a mix. I've never had any trouble hearing myself in a full band mix and I don't have to be super loud. Your guitar sounds very present and clear.
I’ve traditionally been a proco rat lover even for OD sounds with a vox. Any idea how a rat pairs with a tweed?

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:09 pm

No idea, sorry.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:34 pm
I’ve traditionally been a proco rat lover even for OD sounds with a vox. Any idea how a rat pairs with a tweed?
Sorta depends on the circuit? IMO it works best with a brighter/clearer OD/distortion. Some Rats and ways to set them up work better, some not so much, but they're pretty versatile in that regard (both the Rats and the Tweeds).

BarnyardCoral
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BarnyardCoral » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:22 pm

What you're going to want in an OD pedal is something that's really transparent. That means stay away from anything that's basically a Tubescreamer. You dont want a mid hump pedal in front of a naturally mid humped amp.
That's only kind of true. The midrange frequency spectrum is fairly wide and your amp might be forward at one frequency range/hump but a pedal could work at a different point. Not to mention different speakers amplify or cut different frequencies too. Yes, there are very general rules to follow but you won't really know unless you try.
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 pm

BarnyardCoral wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:22 pm
What you're going to want in an OD pedal is something that's really transparent. That means stay away from anything that's basically a Tubescreamer. You dont want a mid hump pedal in front of a naturally mid humped amp.
That's only kind of true. The midrange frequency spectrum is fairly wide and your amp might be forward at one frequency range/hump but a pedal could work at a different point. Not to mention different speakers amplify or cut different frequencies too. Yes, there are very general rules to follow but you won't really know unless you try.
https://youtu.be/W0Q_Uc4Tc8o

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:08 am

I'm a Klone and Rat guy with my amps most the time. This is the 5F6A -> 2x12 combo on the boring SG side of the stage. Volume at noon, punched with Klone, Rat, or both. I loved how it would just bloom into perfect feedback at that volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhuLwh5Qfew&t=171s

This is one of the few times I ever gigged the 5E3. It was SXSW and i didnt want to trust backline. That show the Klone is replaced with a Timmy (I was using the tiny board because I had to walk 2 miles carrying amp, board, and guitars because, you know, SXSW). Carrying a pine cabinet 5E3 is a joy. Well, as much a joy as carrying an amp around can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quTDbkmKCak

You can hear the 5E3 a lot better here. It's on the right side (on the other side Michael is plugged into a 63VVRI...we were aiming for "period" gear).

https://sinkholetexas.bandcamp.com/track/substitute