Who plays through a stereo rig??

Make it loud here.
geoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Who plays through a stereo rig??

Post by geoman » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:24 pm

Any Stereo or 2.1 rig users around here??

I have been using two combo amps for some time and lately in a bigger room was able to use a PA power amp and speakers and was amazed at the BIG sounds I got.

I usually run through a Helix LT or a Firehawk floor unit. Sometimes though just a Boss gt-1 is all I need and with any stereo reverb or chorus you get a huge sound.

Have been thinking of trying these through a 5.1 surround amp from a home theater setup or two stereo power amps into front and rear right side with the other going front and rear left. Those receivers also have a sub-woofer out put with an adjustable crossover too. Will have to try that out some time soon.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Who plays through a stereo rig??

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:00 pm

I don’t tend to use two amps live or at least I didn’t pre-pandemic. It’s fun to play around with, especially with panning sounds. Two similar amps with spring reverb is fun too. Each tank reacts a little differently. Or two tremolos offset a little. Doesn’t pass the “will the audience care?” test for me though.

I do like to record direct in stereo. I tweaked a Neunaber Iconoclast file to my liking (a very subtle stereo image) and it’s great. Just sounds a lot more natural to me.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:07 am

I have wanted to sometimes, but live this would kind of be negated and everything in mono so that its heard.

In terms of recording, i used to use for the effect, but now, its been so much easier to grab a stereo plugin, or even 'reamp' back through the pedal.

Of course, maybe it will change, i'm looking at jazz chorus or peave stereo chorus. Have no idea if they actually translate to decent stereo with the speakers right next to eachother though.

Sometimes i just run into my two amps for sure. I do think it sounds better and not much complication involved.

These PA speakers, or home theatre stuff? i've tried too. I think it could work with big dreampop verbs, but the distortions might be lacking (i got much fizz) unless running an amp sim but even then it doesn't feel the same.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:01 am

yup. i do
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:18 am

I’ve been playing with stuff in stereo (once we went to a three piece - a bit too messy with two guitars though), with some combination of super Reverb, jc77, pro junior or Princeton Reverb, or borrowed amp from other band we’re playing with.

Sounds great (and huge) with chorus and two delays. Fun stuff. Everyone should try stereo chorus sometime as it is exponentially prettier than in mono.

geoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by geoman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:33 am

I have to agree about what shit the Audience gives!! But I was just trying to give my Singer Boss a full sound experience. Plus She always dug what the Old Dude brought to the shows. As far as huge sound on stage it always would draw one or two comments from a Bar Stool critic as where is all that guitar coming from.

Side note to the experience of big stereo. Have you ever had the chance to play in a large building and with a wireless rig been able to get 40 feet back from your amps and just crank it. And not have anyone near enough to care about the volume.

How about the Line6 Amplifi amps that have 5 speakers in one box. The idea of a single 12 for main, and 4 smaller drivers for left and right sound very intriguing. I will have to find one on C-ist after the Cold Weather subsides next month. I Haven't been wanting oi visit guitar and music stores much with all the Covid issues and the risk for the Family just isn't worth it. Might get out playing this Summer after the Vaccines start helping out the ones lucky enough to get it.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:52 am

Yes, but it’s top-bottom rather than left-right! For gigs and for home, two brown Showmans with 2x 215s. (One is a Carl’s 6g14 clone.)

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:42 am

Those shoes are cool.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:27 pm

geoman wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:33 am
I have to agree about what shit the Audience gives!! But I was just trying to give my Singer Boss a full sound experience. Plus She always dug what the Old Dude brought to the shows. As far as huge sound on stage it always would draw one or two comments from a Bar Stool critic as where is all that guitar coming from.

Side note to the experience of big stereo. Have you ever had the chance to play in a large building and with a wireless rig been able to get 40 feet back from your amps and just crank it. And not have anyone near enough to care about the volume.

How about the Line6 Amplifi amps that have 5 speakers in one box. The idea of a single 12 for main, and 4 smaller drivers for left and right sound very intriguing. I will have to find one on C-ist after the Cold Weather subsides next month. I Haven't been wanting oi visit guitar and music stores much with all the Covid issues and the risk for the Family just isn't worth it. Might get out playing this Summer after the Vaccines start helping out the ones lucky enough to get it.
I think the audience gives a shit more than the sound guy sometimes! Through a PA system its just that they may not pan due to sound dispersal being equal everywhere or the effect just getting lost. But sometimes it works, like sometimes having no mics on the amps is infinitely better too.

As for bi-amping, that's a different matter, because that's two amp sounds combine. They don't necessarily pan to different sides, so I wasn't counting that as 'stereo', i mean its not....stereo=one channel for each ear. Two amps on top, using the combined different sounds is bi-amping surely.

geoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by geoman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:32 am

Vertical stacking sounds like I gotta try that!! Hey, that's my Guitar, and suit, but I got no cool hair like that!!! Very Cool Stage presence!!!

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:56 am

I’ve done quite a few solo shows running two very different amps in stereo, usually a Selmer for dirty sounds and a Fender/Fender-ish Dynacord for reverb and delays and loops. For a while I was using a DL-4 to make loops and sending them to the cleaner Fender style amps while all the other guitar stuff went straight to my Selmer, and that was cool, but then I traded the DL-4 sooooooo.....

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:46 pm

I used to play with 2 Amps but they never really sounded stereo even if they were separated left & right on Stage. Just sounds like 2 Amps Mono. Then I bought a Keeley 30ms Double Tracker Pedal. What a huge difference. In the ADT Settings the Stereo sounds like real Stereo with Image & Dimension..

I like to use Fender & Vox Tube Amps with my set up. I love the Sounds of both kinds Amps with the Keeley Pedal.

I don’t play with 2 Amps live very often these days but do Recording in the Studio... It is an amazing Tool!

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:27 am

DeathJag wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:52 am
Yes, but it’s top-bottom rather than left-right! For gigs and for home, two brown Showmans with 2x 215s. (One is a Carl’s 6g14 clone.)

4 X 15s! Would love to hear this rig in person.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:07 pm

My live rig has been stereo to increasing degrees degree since 2000ish.

I run a boss stereo multi FX after my mono pedal chain to add dimension in the stereo space- then into a Marshall rackmount stereo poweramp and out to 2 sealed-back 2x12 speaker cabinets. The Boss FX can get a little stadium-rock sounding if I'm running the presets, but I have a bank of custom programs I use for live gigging (5 or 6 patches) and then another dozen or so for wacky stereo experiments- Dual flangers/tremolos/phasers/etc. panned hard L/R, or some cool dry vs. wet FX splits.

Even dinking around with dry signal can be cool in stereo- the 2x12s are nice and portable so we've done some fun stuff with cabinet placements to add a little spice- putting one cabinet 20-30 feet away and the other up close gives a nice spaced-out effect.

geoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by geoman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:47 pm

Sounds Great!! I guess maybe multi-amped would be a better name for this thread.

I got to hear a 5.1 surround system over the week end and I am spoiled now. Set up and fed into a Home Theater room with all drivers mounted in the walls. Plus two in wall powered subs. It was like I was playing in the center of a 30 x 40 foot a Church with high walls. The rear channels had a micro delay on some of the amp settings, so it just got way huge. The amp was an Onkyo 5.1 with separate sub out to power power amp, and with a lot of processing for the five drive amps. Sounded just amazing on almost everything patch I tried!

I will try the two power amp four speaker cabinet set up this weekend. Use two ways for all four and maybe some straight 4 x 8 columns just to see how the dispersion is. Stacking everything vertical in a room with 12 plus foot ceilings would be interesting.