Fender Mustang Micro

Make it loud here.
CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender Mustang Micro

Post by CaptainCrunch » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:33 pm

I just got one of these in the mail this morning, and I've had a hundred bucks worth of fun with it already. My only wish is that there was some degree of adjustable gain within a model. As-is, it's got Ultra-clean, extremely clean Twin + compressor, Deluxe set clean, and a big Tweed that's clean. I'm not using amazing headphones, but they're more alike than different. And at the other end, the highest-gain 2 or 3 are fizz, different fizz, and scooped fizz. Being able to add a little more beans at one end and maybe a little less at the other would be nice.

Then again, the idea of playing a Mustang through an Uberschall or a Teisco through a 90's-metal Mesa Rectifier rig is pretty amusing.

It can also play through Blueteeth'd headphones or speakers as well as act as an input for your glowing internet-box and whatever software you have there. Claimed 4-6 hours on a charge, though I haven't had time to verify. My main reason to buy was that my wife has Zoom meetings all day, and that from when she's off work to dinnertime to bedtime, I just can't find time to play, and what I do have I want to use on drums which are much harder to make quiet.

So yeah. Worth checking out if any of these seem interesting.

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... cro_US.pdf

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Mustang Micro

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:02 pm

This just popped up on my Youtube and searched here to see if anyone discussed it. I'm watching the video now. Is it possible to pump this into an amp? My roommate has a newish Fender... Rumble 800 bass amp. It has bluetooth and you can use your phone to get a billion sounds, fx, eq, etc. Can this be run into an amp and act as a 'pedal'? or pumped into a Fender bluetooth amp? I was intrigued by that concept.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:52 pm

I was surprised I had not seen a thread on this yet in the forum. As far as I understood, this is a Bluetooth receiver, not a transmitter. So you can get music from phone, laptop, etc. into the Micro. You could connect it to an Amp using the headphones Jack I guess, but not via Bluetooth. That probably means you can only use wired headphones too.

Would be interesting to know if the gain presets react at all to the guitar volume knob. I think this is a great little tool for portability - with this, I may be able to carry an amp in my pocket and skip the need for a laptop altogether to practice when travelling as any phone or tablet will do.

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 am

Having played around further, yes, the high-gain models are actually quite responsive to guitar volume. I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to Bluetoothery, but I connected it to my laptop and it works great with Fender Play (which I'd think they'd crow about more?) or whatever you wanted to play along with. Anything more than that and much like Fortnite, TikTok, or dabbing, I'd recommend finding a 12y.o. because they'll know about it where I'm just kinda aware it exists.

And it stands to reason that if I needed effects it doesn't have, it could just plug into the last pedal on your board since it is the "amp".

astro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by astro » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:30 am

Just got one today!

I am primarily a bass player, and although the models are all for guitar, I find the 65 Twin + compressor model sounds fantastic on bass. I am playing through mediocre headphones and everything sounds full and lush. I am quite impressed with this thing!

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:57 pm

Congrats! I think I'll get one too - it looks like it will take a while in Europe though, none of the stores has it in stock.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon May 17, 2021 9:30 am

I've had one of these for a few weeks as well. The youtube demos IMO are a bit flattering in terms of sound quality. While it sounds good, it still has that "DI" undertone to the sound. It's fine for what it is.

The lack of a gain pedal of some sort in the effects bank is a bit of a puzzling move to me.

What it works great for is having really simple "plug and go" headphone option for when you need to be quiet. So like later in the evening when the family is around or asleep, playing by yourself while your wife is on a video conference meeting in the next room, or if you want to learn something and don't want the embarrassment of everyone in the house hearing you suck or have to hear you play the same song 8 times in a row. The bluetooth feature works great. I can drop on anything from my phone - from spotify, to an app, even find a backing track on Youtube and just play along.

I've also had decent results plugging the Micro into the tail end of my pedal board (just plug the micro to the output plug on your board). It sounds about as good as all the onboard effects. I just wear my headphones with a longer cord.