Traveling & Flying with Amps

Make it loud here.
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Traveling & Flying with Amps

Post by Larsongs » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:06 pm

I was inspired by the other “Flying with Amp” Thread. I’ve been looking for a good all around Tube Travel Amp. I travel by Car as a rule but do fly occasionally.. I would like it to comply with Airlines regulations so it could be a Carry On…

Would any of these fit the criteria for Airline carry on’s? I chose 7 different small Tube Combo Amps under $800.00. Most popular Makers I think would be usable for most of us….

Looking for Tube Amps for Airline carry on, that would be all around good Amps for most situations including small to medium Gigs… So, 10 - 20 Watts +

What would you choose?

Thanks

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/compar ... EyVHdkIl19

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/compar ... w0MENSIl19
Last edited by Larsongs on Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Traveling & Flying with Amps

Post by noisepunk » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:05 am

silverface champ. no question.

they've exploded in price since i owned one, but you can still find one sub-$800, and cross checking it against this list i found, it would fit on every major airline, whereas of your choices the pro-junior–the smallest you've picked–would only fit on about half of them.

another option, which could be kind of fun (but could also easily go over budget), would be to get a simple amp kit (or buy a production model and relieve it of it's original housing) and design the cab around overhead requirements–you could even install casters and a folding handle and get a cover that somewhat passes as a regular suitcase.

Tele295
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tele295 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:43 pm

This is 33-45 watts, depending on your speaker load. An amp that fits in your carry on bag! Just add pedals

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/p ... rblock-45/
Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads - all aloha, all the time

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:55 pm

In the unlikely event I was flying for a gig/s - whatever backline amp can be arranged, preferably a Fender of some sort.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:01 pm

noisepunk wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:05 am

they've exploded in price since i owned one, but you can still find one sub-$800, and cross checking it against this list i found, it would fit on every major airline, whereas of your choices the pro-junior–the smallest you've picked–would only fit on about half of them.

another option, which could be kind of fun (but could also easily go over budget), would be to get a simple amp kit (or buy a production model and relieve it of it's original housing) and design the cab around overhead requirements–you could even install casters and a folding handle and get a cover that somewhat passes as a regular suitcase.
Those are fantastic little Amps & I want one for my Studio. But, this Amp needs to be able to play small & medium size Gigs.. So looking for 10 - 15+ Tube Watts.. Reverb is a plus.. Similar to the Samples I provided...

Thanks

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:04 pm

I would love to have Amps provided but I that's not to likely... For this Thread can we stay with Tube Amps??

Thanks

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:35 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:01 pm
noisepunk wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:05 am

Those are fantastic little Amps & I want one for my Studio. They may be about the only size that can pass Carry On criteria you provided..

But, ideally, this Amp should be an all around Amp & able to play small & medium size Gigs.. So, probably 10 - 15 Tube Watts.. or more if possible. Having Reverb is a plus.. Amps similar to the Samples I provided would be ideal..

Thanks

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 am

any gig worth flying to would be able to mic a champ...

but if it has to be loud enough on it's own, i think your best bet would be a head that fits under the seat and a cab that fits in the overhead bin. i don't have any familiarity with any specific low/medium wattage amp heads, but you can get head cabs for most fender models.

i'm with Tele295 on this though–if i didn't have a backline waiting for me (again, maybe the gig isn't worth it if they aren't providing their own amps), the amp being tube would be very far down my list of must-haves. lots of pros are using quilters these days, so they must sound pretty okay.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 pm

noisepunk wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:26 am

but if it has to be loud enough on it's own, i think your best bet would be a head that fits under the seat and a cab that fits in the overhead bin. i don't have any familiarity with any specific low/medium wattage amp heads, but you can get head cabs for most fender models.

i'm with Tele295 on this though–if i didn't have a backline waiting for me (again, maybe the gig isn't worth it if they aren't providing their own amps), the amp being tube would be very far down my list of must-haves. lots of pros are using quilters these days, so they must sound pretty okay.
You all make some xlnt points..

I’d love to be at the level where I can demand Amps for the backline for Gigs.. Most Gigs don’t even pay enough to make them worth playing in my experience.

I have family & friends all over. I love to travel. Many of my friends & family are musicians & when I travel I always bring a Guitar. Usually Acoustic Electric & no Amp. So I usually use what’s available. I’m not always going to play Gigs, much of the time it’s a Recording Session, Song writing, a Party or for fun..

I like the idea of an Amp Pedal that could run thru the PA that would fit in the storage compartment in my Guitars Case.. I like the idea of a Vintage Silverface Champ too…

Modelling Amps are used by many traveling Bands.. I know there are compromises & sometimes you might have to go with Gear that’s not your dream rig but it’s good enough…

Things are always changing & you never know what’s new.. Forums like this are a great place to get input from Guys at all different levels with lots of experience..

Thanks

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:57 pm

noisepunk wrote:
Yeah, but I really like to be able to create a good blend onstage without relying on monitors.

I have done this with a Champ, but it requires a very sensitive drummer and bassist (and it’s still pretty borderline)

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:05 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:57 pm
noisepunk wrote:
Yeah, but I really like to be able to create a good blend onstage without relying on monitors.

I have done this with a Champ, but it requires a very sensitive drummer and bassist (and it’s still pretty borderline)
oh sure, it's definitely not ideal, but the criteria is pretty narrow, and aside from being among the few amps that would actually fit in an overhead bin, i also think they happen to sound much nicer than other tube amps of similar sizes. i think it portability is an ultimate requirement, there's going to be some sacrifice...and if it has to be tube, you're likely not going to have something loud enough to get a good stage mix–my princeton-nr even struggles with that, and it's square in the wattage range the OP is after.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:11 am

Probably over weight and definitely over budget, but an old Super Champ would do the trick. (Dimensions: 16 7/8″ x 13 7/8″ x 8 3/8″)
Personally, I'd sacrifice tubes and get a class D something or other (or Vox Pathfinder or Yamaha THR thing). Or something and a small speaker cab in checked luggage, etc.

I last flew with an amp in the 90s, as we were bringing back Musicmaster Bass amp (which matched Ms. Cestlamort's bass!) we got in SF for $99. They let us put it in the closet.