New amp day! Magnatone Panoramic Stereo 2x10

Make it loud here.
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New amp day! Magnatone Panoramic Stereo 2x10

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 am

Is it weird that I wish they'd duplicated the original "panaramic" misspelling?

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:36 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 am
Is it weird that I wish they'd duplicated the original "panaramic" misspelling?
It's funny, I saw this misspelling recently on TGP while reading a thread about this amp and thought it was just poor grammar, didn't realize that was the original spelling on those amps.

Currently debating whether or not it's worth keeping this thing. Sounds great, gets slightly louder than my Princeton non reverb which might be good in a band context for shows, but the majority (if not all of the shows) I'll be playing in this next year will probably all be mic'd anyway. Besides the incredible vibrato and the novelty of playing through a stereo 2x10 I'm struggling to justify keeping it. The Princeton sounds great and was serviced a couple years ago, could probably handle being gigged for the foreseeable future. I'm enjoying the sound of this thing so far but it's voiced a tad brighter than I'm used to, not sure how much of it is the buzz of having new gear making me justify keeping it or how much of it is me actually really loving it.

I suppose one option is to look into trading it for a mono Twilighter if i want a 6v6 amp if I'm not super in love with it, and if I'm going back to even considering a larger amp...maybe spring for a Super Reverb again.

The main thing is I haven't had the chance to play it out live or with a band to know how well it sits in that context. We'll see I guess

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:38 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:36 am
Currently debating whether or not it's worth keeping this thing. Sounds great, gets slightly louder than my Princeton non reverb which might be good in a band context for shows, but the majority (if not all of the shows) I'll be playing in this next year will probably all be mic'd anyway. Besides the incredible vibrato and the novelty of playing through a stereo 2x10 I'm struggling to justify keeping it. The Princeton sounds great and was serviced a couple years ago, could probably handle being gigged for the foreseeable future. I'm enjoying the sound of this thing so far but it's voiced a tad brighter than I'm used to, not sure how much of it is the buzz of having new gear making me justify keeping it or how much of it is me actually really loving it.

I suppose one option is to look into trading it for a mono Twilighter if i want a 6v6 amp if I'm not super in love with it, and if I'm going back to even considering a larger amp...maybe spring for a Super Reverb again.

The main thing is I haven't had the chance to play it out live or with a band to know how well it sits in that context. We'll see I guess
FWIW, I'd give it some time and see how much the brighter tone cuts through the band mix (usually a good thing). Of course, if you've dialed it in as best you can and you're not feeling it, then definitely move it on. 8)

Another consideration - I'm a big 'fraidy cat of the idea to play out with (to me) expensive amps (anything over $2k) due to theft or damage. Safely controlled environments, no problem. Totally understand/respect if you have precautions in place or it's simply not an issue.

Re: the Super Reverb - I'm strictly speaking as someone who's heavier gear stays home nowadays. FWIW, I'd give a Super Reverb Tone Master a try. Half the weight for playing out, no tubes to deal with if something goes wrong, and the tone and volume is there. Sure, they might not be absolutely an exact replica, but they're so close that I find it an acceptable alternative - and I am a huge tube amp nerd. I have a Twin Reverb Tone Master and it is the only amp I'll play out with publicly. I'd bring out the heavier tube amps for safe gatherings such as friend jams and such.

I might get the Super Reverb Tone Master some day - I'm holding out hope that Fender puts out a blonde version like they did with the Twin and Deluxe TM models. Or maybe a brownface style with brown tolex...ahh, dare to dream! :?
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...