Bizarre Bassman Acquisition Afternoon....

Make it loud here.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bizarre Bassman Acquisition Afternoon....

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:16 am

Popped open the cab this morning. I was hoping for a JBL but unlikely considering the year this was made. Was pleasantly surprised to find what appears to be an Electro-Voice EVM15L in Fender OEM livery!...

No idea if this is the 200w or 400w version. But I'm going to take a punt it's the lower one by the magnet size.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:56 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:16 am
Popped open the cab this morning. I was hoping for a JBL but unlikely considering the year this was made. Was pleasantly surprised to find what appears to be an Electro-Voice EVM15L in Fender OEM livery!...

No idea if this is the 200w or 400w version. But I'm going to take a punt it's the lower one by the magnet size.
My back aches for you.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:30 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:16 am
AWESOME!

I used a JBL D-130F for years until I blew it up :'( (including subsequent recones, the 'just like the original' kits are not capable of dealing with a Vibrosonic Reverb like the original moving parts). They are very very thin on the ground here these days.

My speaker of choice for the 'big' amp (Showman) is the EVM 15L. It's equally 'special' IMHO, with the added bonus of not being unobtainium should it need replacing.

Those with aluminium dust caps are quite rare and were a 'Fender thing' - keen to hear how it sounds!
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:28 am

I started servicing this today. All the pots were crackly as hell and made the loudest and worst noise when turned so they got a massive clean and lubing session. All good now.

F&T caps arrived in the mail too so those got swapped in and things tidied-up under the doghouse:

I'm still waiting on the new 6L6's to arrive (Watford Valves is swamped with orders thanks to the panic-buying) so I ran the bias probes on the tubes it came with. The two National Electronics tubes biased-up strong and relatively even but the two Chinese things were weak as hell and measuring at least -10mA lower than the Nationals. I dug around and found a used, but good, pair of old 80's/90's Ruby Tubes that are pretty evenly matched.

Basic service done I gave it a run-through with the Bassman 2x12 I recently picked up for my BF model. It's not the greatest tone you'll ever hear but it's sparkly and clear and, well, the headroom on this thing is basically infinite. It's just a massive fucking Twin really. No compression, no crunch - not at least as loud as I dared crank it in the house (which was up to about 8 1/2). I closed the door and stood the other side and the cats all left the premises.

As a pedal platform I don't think you could ever want for more. For bass? It's surprisingly good and definitely has the guts for an average band.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with it. Anyone fancy one of these and want to swap for something?
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:46 pm

Classic. Cool amp, better story. I've been very low key keeping an eye out for one of these VTMB Bassman's to try som D*mble mods on but I'm sticking strictly to the rule of Stupid Bargains. My bf Bassman was a Stupid Bargain but I'm not modding that one, sounds too good as-is.
She/Her

leonardorafael
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by leonardorafael » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:24 am

If you want to sell the speaker please contact me. I sent you a message through this website.