Setup of the New Amp Day

Make it loud here.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Setup of the New Amp Day

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:09 am

Over the last few weeks I've been fortunate enough to come up with not one but two Korg-era Vox Pathfinder amps: a much-modified 'plain' 15, and this one - a 15R. Neither are anything like the Princeton Reverb I've really got my heart set on, but for now they scratch the amp tremolo itch quite nicely.

Picked this one up today for £100 less than the other one for sale locally, so I'm calling it a bargain. The way second-hand prices are these days, a £180 Pathfinder might not be as far-fetched as it appears. :unsure:

I've had a couple of Cambridges before, but this is my first Pathfinder 15R. Having been impressed by the valve-like sounds of the 15 I immediately wished I'd held out for the reverb version, and set about putting that right. I can't say I'm hugely impressed by the reverb sound, though. I think I read that swapping the tank for a better/bigger one is a popular mod, so maybe I'll consider that some day. For now an amp that sounds this huge in such an easy to carry form will do just fine as it comes, so I just have to decide whether to keep both for a wet/dry Vox set-up, with optional Roland modulation in the middle, or let go of the non-reverb one to claw back some of my outlay.

I think it was some posts on here that inspired me to look for one of these amps in the first place, so I'm probably preaching to the choir in saying these are phenomenally good-sounding and versatile little solid-state amps which go from clean to saturated and most points in between with aplomb, and the tremolo is the icing on the cake, while the genuine spring reverb is at least functional if not hugely inspiring.

I'm looking forward to trying one through my Vox 2x12" cabinet (which lives in my friend's studio), but for now I'm more than satisfied with how good it sounds at bedroom level, especially with the boost switch engaged and another boost/overdrive in front. Pursists may gag, but I don't think I'll ever feel the need for an AC30/AC15 ever again - this'll do fine as my recording amp for that neck of the sonic woods.

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Setup of the New Amp Day

Post by LVC » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:38 am

Congrats! These Pathfinder 15s and 15Rs are great little SS amps, and £80 for one is a pretty good bargain these days. They don't seem to pop up for sale very often here, and virtually never under €150, which eventually killed my GAS for them.

I've recently scored a VR15 for €30 ― it's all I can afford in my current situation without resorting to selling any of my nicer amps, but it suitably scratches that Vox itch. It's more or less a Pathfinder minus the tremolo and reverb but with Valve Reactor technology, which I'm a bit of a fan of. That's basically a 1W tube power amp stage which then gets re-amplified by a neutral-sounding 15W SS power amp. You get pretty nice SS tones with some tube-like dynamics — very clever idea.

Are you familiar with the Vox Showroom website? This page might come in handy.
Create art, not content

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Setup of the New Amp Day

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:19 pm

LVC wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:38 am
Are you familiar with the Vox Showroom website? This page might come in handy.
Yes, it's a great resource which was very useful in helping me choose a CC1 when I was trying to decide which AC30 to buy.