NAD...Magnatone Twilighter!

Make it loud here.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD...Magnatone Twilighter!

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:21 am

My brother-in-surf, matt22, and I have been in potential trade talks, initially involving his '61 Jazzmaster for my '63 Jaguar and '62 Fender Pro (1x15, 40 watts) amp. Yesterday, I drove 2 hours down to Fredericksburg, VA to meet up with Matt at his home (lovely '61 home).

The '63 Jag is my birth year guitar and I was on the fence about letting it go but I figured I would see how I'd get on with Matt's '61 Jazzmaster. A big motivation for me was to move the '62 Pro amp to thin my amp herd. I never intended to keep the Pro for long - it was a rescue purchase from Atomic Music and then I had it professionally serviced with the intention of moving it on for someone to enjoy. I'm learning (took a while) that I can be happy with less than with more - so I'm all set for vintage amps with my '62 Fender Bandmaster and '63 Fender Showman.

Matt showed me lots of cool gear and I think while we both appreciated our potential guitar trades, the reality of moving on the guitars suddenly became impactful for us both. Matt used his '61 Jazzmaster on some recordings and while he hadn't been playing it too much lately, I think after playing it a bit he fell in love with it all over again (I presume, lol). For me, my '63 Jag has been my #1 guitar for a few years now and it's the best Jag I've ever played. My #2 Jag is my Johnny Marr Signature Jag - a fantastic guitar and a very close 2nd.

Slight side tangent - I plan to post a FWIW in the near future - while I'll always be in love with my vintage gear, my favorite Jazzmaster is my Musikraft/MJT JM build with Fralin Hum-Cancelling JM pickups. I commissioned this build after it became financially necessary to move on my '63 Jazzmaster. So I was honestly looking at the '61 Jazzmaster as an investment to hold on to for as long as possible. It's a great guitar but I don't think it would get played as much due to my affinity with my Musikraft/MJT Jazzmaster. That's how amazing this JM build is. :-*

Still, I know Matt really wanted the Pro and I was happy to move it on to him. I had no idea what else he had that would have been a fair trade option. After bringing out various gear (his '62 Bassman is museum-quality pristine that he is looking to sell), he brought out a highly regarded, modern hand-wired amp - a Magnatone Twilighter. We both understood this was definitely a fair trade - awesome amp for awesome amp of comparative value and we could both hang on to our vintage Fender guitars a while longer.

I joked with Matt that if that the guitar trade had gone through, I'd be ugly crying all the way home and singing that old CInderella song, "Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ. :D BTW, during the hair band era, Cinderella was probably one of my top 3 fave bands at that time and I've always loved this particular song. This from a guy who's mainly into alternative, punk, surf, etc.... :blush:

Bonus for me, Matt gave me a CD of one of his surf bands, The Coconauts. Thoroughly enjoyed listening to it last night and I now have it in my huge surf library on iTunes to play along with. Great production, great playing, and very cool songs - here's the album cover (scanned) - guess which one is Matt:

I put his CD in a place of honor...

Here's the Magnatone Twilighter followed by it's specs...Oh! I forgot to mention how AMAZING this amp sounds!! Totally does my surf thing and takes pedals very well. I plan on playing some of my Gretsch guitars through it today and I'm very much looking forward to my incoming NGD purchase from RIORIO (Josh) - should be an excellent pairing! 8)

I never thought I'd be able to own one of these amps and now that I've got the Magnatone FEVER, I'm going to save up for a Magnatone Panoramic Stereo (2x10, 12 + 12 Watts) amp. :?

FEATURES
- Original varistor based pitch shifting vibrato switchable to tremolo
- Tube driven spring reverb
- Dual 6V6 output tubes
- Full bodied clean tones and natural overdrive
- Finger jointed cabinet
- Custom voiced 12" speaker
- GZ34 Tube rectifier
- Vibrato/Tremolo speed may be controlled by remote expression pedal

TECHNICAL SPECS
TUBE COMPLEMENT:
(4) 12AX7, 12AU7, (2) 6V6, GZ34

POWER OUTPUT:
22 watts Push-Pull, Class AB into 8 Ohms

INPUTS:
High and Low Sensitivity

BASS:
12 dB range at 60 Hz

OPTIONAL REMOTE REDAL:
20-50 kΩ

REVERB:
Tube Driven 4 Counterwound Springs Long Pan

SPEAKER:
Magnatone Custom 12" Ceramic Magnet

TREBLE:
14 dB range at 2 kHz

VIBRATO:
True pitch shifting stereo varistor vibrato switchable to conventional tremolo

COMBO DIMENSIONS:
22.5" x 10" x 19.5"

COMBO WEIGHT:
38 lbs.

Anyone else have/had a Magnatone amp?
Last edited by Surfysonic on Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD...

Post by Bango_Rilla » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:38 pm

Sounds like a golden deal all the way around! I need to check out a Magnatone....
Lover of offsets (and bananas!)

https://thegogorillas.com
https://instagram.com/thegogorillas

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:44 pm

Very nice!

I’ve tried a few of these reissues and they sound as good as they look.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:17 am

Thanks, guys! I'm going to try to record a demo video of it today. :)

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:35 am

How drippy is it?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:19 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:21 am

LUST :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:29 am

Glad you both reconnected with your vintage guitars, and what an awesome amp. I've loved every video I've seen with those Magnatones - the vibrato in particular is a favourite feature of mine.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:50 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:35 am
How drippy is it?
I was surprised to find it quite drippy! Maybe not as drippy as an outboard reverb unit (like a Fender Reverb Unit or SurfyBear Classic) but I have no need or plans to add an outboard - it's a great reverb to me. 8)
Maggieo wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:19 am
Surfysonic wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:21 am

LUST :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Thanks, Maggie! I know, right?! I did not see this one coming. :w00t:
Embenny wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:29 am
Glad you both reconnected with your vintage guitars, and what an awesome amp. I've loved every video I've seen with those Magnatones - the vibrato in particular is a favourite feature of mine.
Thanks, Mike! Both vibratos are pretty cool! I'm partial to the FM mode but the AM is also nice. I plan to do that Magnatron vs T-Armonds comparison with this amp as soon as I can. Sorry for running behind on that. Been a crazy summer.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD...Magnatone Twilighter!

Post by hulakatt » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:33 pm

I've come to the conclusion that Maggie's are just unicorns for me, forever out of reach. I don't need anywhere near as much gear as I already have and I can in no way justify spending that much on another amp when I already have too many awesome amps. Same thing with guitars, really.

Anyway, my favorite guitar is my MJT Jazzmaster so, go figure!
She/Her

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:01 am

hulakatt wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:33 pm
I've come to the conclusion that Maggie's are just unicorns for me, forever out of reach. I don't need anywhere near as much gear as I already have and I can in no way justify spending that much on another amp when I already have too many awesome amps. Same thing with guitars, really.

Anyway, my favorite guitar is my MJT Jazzmaster so, go figure!
I felt the same! Definitely unexpected but I'm happy it all worked out for both Matt & I. Glad you're fond of your MJT JM! 8)

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:37 pm

it's good to see these 'new' Maggies getting within reach on the used market. they are *so* expensive new, but it's 100% top shelf stuff. i absolutely adore my original 1959 version of this amp, and along with my other vintage Maggie, a 260a (2x12) i have plenty of High Fidelity Pitch Vibrato silky goodness that i don't feel the need to reach for a new one. even though i envy your reverb and maybe even the extra wattage :) but if i were going 100% professional touring these days, these new ones would be in my sights. these guys went above and beyond! who knows, if i start playing rock music regularly again, i might get one. cheers!
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks