NAD: 1974 Fender Bassman 100

Make it loud here.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD: 1974 Fender Bassman 100

Post by MrShake » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:19 am

Big and somewhat unexpected New Amp Day here. I'd been plotting, but it all happened so fast I'm just getting used to the idea.

I've banged on for years about how I love my Bassman Ten combo. Cleaner and more headroom than the typical Bassman head. Exactly what I like in an amp, a pedal platform with bold, blunt cleans and high headroom, but a little of that tube warmth without breakup or any serious compression.

At our past few shows, my wife/drummer has pointed out I could use more headroom out of the B10, compared to some of the solid-state options I'll also pile up behind me.

"Ask and you shall receive, my dear."

Like I've always said, I love those Bassman Ten sounds, so I just wanted that but with more headroom. A SF Twin would be an obvious choice, but another heavy combo isn't what I wanted, and if I'm not going to use the reverb and tremolo, why get something that has more potential points of failure? No, simplicity and ease-of-repairability were my prime needs, other than 100W of clean Fender headroom.

On paper, the slightly-less-sought Bassman 135 would have been a "perfect" choice as well, but I've heard the UL transformer setup can be a little harder on tubes. I don't know whether that's true or not, but erring on the side of caution seemed smart, and I already like my pre-UL Bassman Ten, so the 100 seemed like the way to go.

I spotted one on Reverb for a very good deal against market price. I messaged some basic questions (record of alleged recent service, was it rebiased after tube swap), and the seller seemed to get spooked and delisted it immediately. Oh well.

I see another one, even cheaper, on GC. Not a lot of pics, but a good $200 below the going rate, and I live down the street from GC in case of potential problems.

(And, yes, I've also factored a couple hundred dollars for potential servicing in the near future. But if the caps appear to have been changed and the tubes sound good, that trip to the shop might get postponed just a bit.)

So I bite on it Monday, and it arrived last night. After reading a recent horror story about someone whose new/used Mesa was totally destroyed in GC shipping, I was nervous. It was barely adequately packed, but it was enough, no dented corners on the box or problems with the amp. Wish they'd have pulled the tubes, though.

Sounds great so far. Exactly like I expected. And clearly super-loud, though I can't really give it a proper test-drive in my apartment.

The listing said it was "recently serviced", and I have no idea how true that would be, but the tubes are a set of Ruby 6L6GCMSTRs, so it's not all-original, which is a good thing in my book.

All the tubes glow at basically the same intensity, nothing looks out of whack on the face of things.

Low-volume tests in cranking the channel volumes and controlling with the master seems to indicate that both sides stay clean, so it doesn't seem as though anything's been modded for more crunch, which is good. If I want that, *I* can decide to have it done. I'll hopefully be able to determine more once I pull and eyeball the chassis to see if it's been recapped, etc.

Based on the two transformer codes I could spot without pulling the chassis, it's likely a mid-to-late 1974 (no tail!), which I was kinda hoping to find, to partner with a matching Bassman Ten. Wouldn't have been a buying decision, but a nice little bit of serendipity.

So, I'm delighted, it's likely the most powerful amp I'll ever buy, and what I'm expecting to be my final dip into vintage tube amps - I've got the Bassman Ten, this, and an old Sano combo, along with my other SS/hybrid stuff.

Relatively speaking, super-affordable for an all-tube, (buzz word incoming) handwired, 100W clean machine.

(Oh, and the cab was a gift from a buddy who I've always really admired, used to be his live cab. The V30 in there now can't handle any amp I own, so there's a Texas Heat coming for installation this weekend, just so I have a rock-solid cab for this and my one other 4ohm amp, until I can load up a Woodson 2x12 cab I love with some appropriate speakers.)

Thank you for reading. I'm pretty stoked. Love to hear about your Clean Bassman experiences as well.

Real gut shots imminent, once I have a chance this weekend.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD: 1974 Fender Bassman 100

Post by Jonesie » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:40 am

I worked at a studio for a while and my favorite bass amp we had was a Silverface Bassman 100. Ran it into an Ampeg 4x10 and mic'ed it with an EV Re20. Absolutely killer, especially with a big muff in front of it. So if you ever need it for bass, you've got that going for you.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:21 am

Jonesie wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:40 am
I worked at a studio for a while and my favorite bass amp we had was a Silverface Bassman 100. Ran it into an Ampeg 4x10 and mic'ed it with an EV Re20. Absolutely killer, especially with a big muff in front of it. So if you ever need it for bass, you've got that going for you.
Oooh, that sounds tasty. Probably because of the B10, a 4x10 closed back has become my favorite speaker compliment, short of a 2x15, and I've got a NYC Muff on top of the new head right now.

Having something good and loud for my Jag Baritone Custom. (a Bass VI) was also a consideration, I can't wait to put some bass through this thing at a good volume.

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:37 am

MrShake wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:19 am
On paper, the slightly-less-sought Bassman 135 would have been a "perfect" choice as well, but I've heard the UL transformer setup can be a little harder on tubes. I don't know whether that's true or not, but erring on the side of caution seemed smart, and I already like my pre-UL Bassman Ten, so the 100 seemed like the way to go.
I have both in my bands for a few decades now, didn't notice differences regarding the tube usage.

Btw, great amp.
Roza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_imQDC4eUOjuBBRl2mBwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQgllCIpqY
https://rozaliftwave.bandcamp.com/

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:38 am

MrShake wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:19 am
I have both in my bands for a few decades now, didn't notice differences regarding the tube usage.

Btw, great amps. I like running them through Marshall 4x12's, more than through a stock 2x15 box.
Roza

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:57 am

Oh wow nice!
Happy new amp day! :?

A Bassman 100 was on top of my (want) amp list for years…

my Bassist has one and he and I did a shootout recently -both Bandmaster and Bassman have their charm. He was about to sell it (to me if only I had the money in December) - but I‘m just happy that it stays as he just fell in love again after putting on new strings on his new (used) Jaguar Bass. Sometimes it‘s the little things that make all the difference! Enjoy your amp and the additional headroom!

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:01 pm

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:17 pm

tqi wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:01 pm
Shop goals for this year:

Finish my Showman.

[...]

And yes, the Showman is why I'm posting this here. I am a huge stan of using old Fender amps as modern big-clean amps.
I mean, I feel like there's no way you could end up disappointed, right? I confess, I spotted a fair-condition drip-edge SF Dual Showman online that looked like it had mods, etc that I didn't wanna deal with undoing. But I was tempted.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:21 am

welcome to the bassman club of OSG.

honestly, bassman are great for bass or guitar. i've owned my bassman since i was 18 (i'm 32 now) and i can't think of any amp i'll have wanted to play more.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:47 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:21 am

honestly, bassman are great for bass or guitar. i've owned my bassman since i was 18 (i'm 32 now) and i can't think of any amp i'll have wanted to play more.
Thanks, Sean - your proponence of your SF Bassman head over the years was definitely among the factors that tilted me this direction, even with my desire to stay clean like my B10.

Speaking of yours, I've long wondered and probably missed your answer : whose insignia is that on yours? Makes it instantly recognizable.

Also, to update: definitely needs a trip to the tech. After about 30 min, a soft crackle/popping comes up, and at one point, the signal cut out, replaced with a sound like a thumb on a live guitar lead. I killed the power quickly. About an hour later, once it cooled, I flipped it on again and everything was back to normal.

Which means it wasn't irrevocable damage or anything totally blown, and I can just leave it off until after it gets the checkup/tweaks that I factored in when I bought it.

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:53 am

Recording of a new album

Roza

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:58 am

distressed wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:53 am
Recording of a new album
Hell, yeah.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:34 am

MrShake wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:47 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:21 am

Thanks, Sean - your proponence of your SF Bassman head over the years was definitely among the factors that tilted me this direction, even with my desire to stay clean like my B10.

Speaking of yours, I've long wondered and probably missed your answer : whose insignia is that on yours? Makes it instantly recognizable.

Also, to update: definitely needs a trip to the tech. After about 30 min, a soft crackle/popping comes up, and at one point, the signal cut out, replaced with a sound like a thumb on a live guitar lead. I killed the power quickly. About an hour later, once it cooled, I flipped it on again and everything was back to normal.

Which means it wasn't irrevocable damage or anything totally blown, and I can just leave it off until after it gets the checkup/tweaks that I factored in when I bought it.
glad i could be an influence. mine is castillo

best get it right to an amp tech from the sounds of it.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:45 am

(Posted this elsewhere, but figured I'd put all my info in a few places, for posterity.)

Alright, amp experts, I opened it up, ONCE. And it's not gonna be turned on again 'til it's serviced, just to be safe. I'm calling tomorrow, 'cause I'm gonna treat myself.

White Mallory caps mean a full recap of any outdated small electrolytics, and if that's the case, I have to presume the filter caps need a change too - no big deal, I expected that. Planning on any electrolytics, and tube replacement/rebiasing.

But how does this look to those of you who know what you're looking at? I can see the replaced cap over in the power/biasing board, but other than that, seems pretty stock to me, but I'm only in the early stages of my education. Any other red flags or insights you could share?

Also, was pleased to find that the transformer codes seem to make it a 1974.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:02 am

This is so cool Mikey! Love it, and your noise deserves it 8)
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?