Regent 50 Amp and RSC Cabinet

Make it loud here.
Marie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Regent 50 Amp and RSC Cabinet

Post by Marie » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:20 am

Dear Members,

I have this old amplifier and speaker cabinet that has been unused for years. It has followed me around, from house to house, gathering dust and generally being neglected.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/knzJ8XpT3EnGBtHd6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/roygnvdYA72RLkcn6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JbxzdKzYDtPqMPfr5

I have tried various searches over the last few weeks, but have come up with no close matches. I know it's old, vintage even, because I've had it forty years and it wasn't new when I got it.

I have two questions:

Does anyone know any more about it?
Would anyone want such a thing?

I understand that there is proper place in the forum for buying/selling/trading, and that as a rank newbie, I do not qualify to post there. To be honest, I'm never liklely to qualify either. I am not trying to sell it here. I am just trying to establish whether anyone would want the thing, or whether I should take it to the tip. I'd like to think that someone might want it, use it, enjoy it, rather than me chuck it out.

If I have overstepped the mark asking this question, I apologise, please remove my post and I'll not bother you again.

Thanks for reading!

2024.04.06 Edited to fix missing/replace duplicate image. I am normally quite good at the interwebs, honest.

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Regent 50 Amp and RSC Cabinet

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:44 am

Looks like a department store special, or possibly a kit? In my area, you can often find odd one-off amps made under a million different obscure names that were sold in department stores etc. Sometimes they sound awesome too.

Someone would definitely want it if you are considering throwing it away or something like that. I’d try local classifieds first.
"I'm all metric and loving every inch of it"
-Orang Goreng

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:37 am

I'm pretty sure Regent were an East German company. Is it a tube/valve amplifier?
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Marie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Marie » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:25 am

Dave wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:44 am
Looks like a department store special, or possibly a kit? In my area, you can often find odd one-off amps made under a million different obscure names that were sold in department stores etc. Sometimes they sound awesome too.

Someone would definitely want it if you are considering throwing it away or something like that. I’d try local classifieds first.
Many thanks for getting back to me Dave. I hadn't considered that it might have been a department store amp. It's certainly the right era to have been sold by Woolworths which was in every high street, here in the UK, for years and years. Back in the 1970s they sold guitars and other instruments under the brand name "Audition". My first guitar was from there, it was terrible, (terrible with a capital F). maybe there were other similar dept store instruments of which I'm unaware.

Anyway, I'll not take it to the tip. I'll try to find it a new home. Thanks once again for getting back to me :c)

JSett wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:37 am
I'm pretty sure Regent were an East German company. Is it a tube/valve amplifier?
JSett, thanks for getting back to me too. Yes, it's a valve amp.
I tried searching for Regent with East Germany/Germany as keywords. I found plenty of references to a Regent Preamp, and one link to an old, old link on this forum enquiring about something that sounds similar to mine, which incidentally, is how I came to be here in the first place.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:43 am

Where are you based? I might take it off your hands if you just want to find it a home? I service and mess around with old amps as a hobby and, if it was going to the tip anyway, I'd happily make sure it was healthy and either use it or pass it on to someone in need
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Marie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Marie » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:54 am

JSett wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:43 am
Where are you based? I might take it off your hands if you just want to find it a home? I service and mess around with old amps as a hobby and, if it was going to the tip anyway, I'd happily make sure it was healthy and either use it or pass it on to someone in need
I'd hate it to end up at the tip, and I'd be very happy for it to go to home and be used, or to help someone new get started/help someone out.
I am in North Norfok, near Yarmouth.

GGJaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GGJaguar » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:21 pm

See my offset guitars at www.ggjaguar.com

Marie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Marie » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:54 am

GGJaguar wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:21 pm
1965 advert for that amp:

https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/index.php ... st-2164764
Thanks for posting this :c)

Guineas! Those were the days! Sending an S.A.E. to get a brochure, fond memories of that too, right up until the weird wide web became mainstream.
I'm guessing the amp and c ab in the advert are ancestors of mine, earlier versions, or whatever the correct term is in amplifier parclance. But great to see that advert all the same and learn a little bit more. Thanks again for posting!

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:50 am

The Volume 1 and Volume 2 makes me think its likely something very Bassman/Marshall derived under the hood. It's very common for amps of the era. But that's just a guess.
Instagram: thetonyballs