Re: Amp parts?

Make it loud here.
BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:01 pm

depends what you are looking for.

for transistors and IC's I use companies in Taiwan and HK, usually they stock a decent amount of NOS japanese made Panasonic Toshiba and Ti, but unless you are looking for oddball SIL7's or other low-volume packages with unconventional pinouts, then you're better off buying new, because the reality is the new components are much better at dissipating heat, have better current and forwarding voltage stability ratings, have better RF shielding and lower unit cost. Fab a perfboard and reroute pinouts from DIP's etc. much easier...

Digi-key, RS, Farnell/Element14, Mouser, or BOM your stuff on Octopart and chase suppliers through there if necessary.

Ebay is absolute last-resort need something from a bygone era that does not exist - like device-specific VFD's or Nixies, or pre-RoHS CdS cells or mercury batteries from Russian Federation etc.

The other issues that cause supply problems are simply mis-labelling. So it's imperative for things like valves which are oddball, and things like selenium rectifiers etc to make sure you have all the known cross-reference charts in case the suppliers have the labelled using one of the alternative codes.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:20 pm

Anyone doing custom laser-cut amplifier badges in very small runs?

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Maybe Precision Design. They do the faceplates for Weber. Sandy is great to work with.

http://www.precisiondesignin.com/

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:10 pm

jthomas wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:22 pm
Maybe Precision Design. They do the faceplates for Weber. Sandy is great to work with.

http://www.precisiondesignin.com/
I checked with sandy, she can only cut what I want from plastic, not metal. I've used them before for faceplates, so definitely will stick with them for that.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm

Edit - I just realized that you’re looking for metal. I don’t know if that’s metal behind plastic, so I don’t know how helpful the info below will be for you. You can still check it out to see if it’s something you’d like or if that company can do lasered metal.

—————-
You might could check with Jim or someone else at Frenzel amps.

My old amp has the black on white plastic that they just machine away to expose the white against a black background, but my newer one has a cool badge. I don’t know if it’s laser cut, but I think it looks pretty cool.

I think it’s frenzel amps dot com, but a quick google search should get you there, and you can see what you think about the badges, and contact him if you like them.

No idea who he uses or if they would do small runs, but it could be a possibility.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 am

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm
Edit - I just realized that you’re looking for metal. I don’t know if that’s metal behind plastic, so I don’t know how helpful the info below will be for you. You can still check it out to see if it’s something you’d like or if that company can do lasered metal.

—————-
You might could check with Jim or someone else at Frenzel amps.

My old amp has the black on white plastic that they just machine away to expose the white against a black background, but my newer one has a cool badge. I don’t know if it’s laser cut, but I think it looks pretty cool.

I think it’s frenzel amps dot com, but a quick google search should get you there, and you can see what you think about the badges, and contact him if you like them.

No idea who he uses or if they would do small runs, but it could be a possibility.
just saw this. will reach out; thanks!

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:51 am

I've used www.triodeelectronics.com/ several times and been happy.

Same thing with http://www.valvestorm.com/ which is top notch for older Marshall stuff. I've built their jtm45 and it's long been one of my favorite amps and they get transformers built by Heyboer to their own specs that are amazing!
She/Her